- 1. Computer System Components Standard: MSBCS BCS1-1
2. Input Devices
- Any hardware used to send data to the computer.
3. Examples of Input Devices
- Pointing Device- ex: mouse
- Joystick lever that can be moved
- in all directions to move objects
4. Examples of Input Devices (Cont)
- Digital Camera takes and stores photos in a digital form that the computer can work with
- Scanner lets you copy printed images into a computer.
5. Examples of Input Devices (Cont)
- Microphone used to input sounds
- Modem allows one computer to input data into another computer. Often used to connect a computer to the internet.
6. Keyboard Joystick Mouse 7. Microphone Digital Camera Modem 8. Output Devices
- Any piece of hardware that displays or plays back the result of computer processing.
9. Output DevicesExamples
- Printers makes a hard copy of the display shown on a monitor
10. Monitor Printer 11. Microprocessors
- Also known as a CPU (Central Processing Unit)
- CPU the brain of the computer
12. Operating Systems
- An operating system is software, consisting of programs and data, that runs on computers and manages computer hardware resources and provides services for execution of various application software.
13. Most Popular Operating Systems
14. Software Applications
- Used for a specific purpose such as creating text documents, worksheets or graphics
15. Software Application Examples
- Microsoft Word used to create text documents
- Microsoft PowerPoint used to create presentations
16. Software Applications Examples (Cont)
- Microsoft Excel used to create spreadsheets
- Microsoft Access used to create databases
- When people talk about computermemory , they usually mean a set of chips that acts as a temporary workspace in the computer.
18. Two Types of Memory
- RAM Random Access Memory stores its contents temporarily; if the computer loses power, RAMs contents are lost
- ROM Read Only Memory stores its contents permanently, even when thecomputer is turned off
19. Storage Devices
- Object that physically holds data or program instructions
20. Examples of Storage Devices
- CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives
21. Floppy Disk Hard Drive CD/DVD Flash Drive 22. Unit for Measuring Computer Memory
- GB gigobyte (1 GB = 1024 Megabytes)
- MB megabyte (1,000,000 bytes)
- **Gigobyte is larger than a megabyte!
23. Speed of Microprocessors
- MHz megahertz (1 million cycles per second)
- GHz gigahertz (1 billion cycles per second)
- **Gigahertz is faster than a Megahertz!!
- The American Heritage ScienceDictionary . (Retrieved February 23, 2011, from Dictionary.com website:http:// dictionary.reference.com /browse/input devices
- Input Device, n.d., Retrieved February 18, 2011,http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/i/inputdev.htm
- Output Device, n.d., Retrieved February 20, 2011,http://www.techterms.com/definition/outputdevice
- Operating system, n.d., Retrieved February 16, 2011,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system
- Computer memory, n.d., Retrieved February 21, 2011,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_memory
- WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. (2003-2008).Retrieved February 15, 2011 fromhttp://www.thefreedictionary.com/computer+memory+unit
- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. Fourth Edition. (2003) Retrieved February 15, 2011 fromhttp://www.thefreedictionary.com/gigahertz
- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. (2003) Retrieved February 15, 2011 fromhttp://www.thefreedictionary.com/megahertz