2. Watershed Protection Department Interns Jennifer , Hassan,
Rea-ann Oliver & Summer 2012
3. Austin Watershed Protection Department Mission: to protect
lives, property and the environment of our community by reducing
the impact of flood, erosion and water pollution.
4. As a Austin WPD OTC 12th floor Intern you get to Work side
by side with certified Professional Engineers (PEs in civil
engineering) and other city employees!
5. T-shirts Hats Shirts A badge to open doors Steel toed boats
and vest for field work Sweet gift bags from the 11th floor(ERM)
Candy from Ms. Perez
6. Exposure To Engineering Field GIS training and mapping Site
plan analysis Field work Engineering terminology CIP project
7. Internship Activities Partner with Kathy Rock to advertise
community Rain Garden Projects Attend community meetings at Amayas
Call establishments to post flyers Work on the weekends to
construct and clean up Rain Gardens Use GIS program to generate
maps! Take and Report notes for supervisors
8. @ The Intern Corner we Hassans work space Olivers Corner
Research and consolidate data into reports and maps, ex. Big Belly
Report Attend Bi-weekly meetings every Monday Aid other employees .
Ex. We created 75 information binders for the ERM , and document
site plans in an excel spread sheets. Get involved with office
activities like Toast Masters meeting and diversity reading. Get
snacks from a the cube next door on long days, Thanks Ms.
9. Places Visited! Hornsby Bend Treatment Plant Holly
Neighborhood City of Austin learning and Research Library The
Commons at UT Austin restaurants Barbara Jordan Elementary Gus
Garcia Middle School OTC Floors
10. @ WPD you can learn How to Construct and manage rain
gardens What happens to rainwater runoff and sewage water How to
operate ArcGIS to produce maps and locate data How to operate
workplace technology like copy and printing machines Engineering
terms like RSMP, Culverts, Easements, impervious cover and adverse
Impact Networking and working collaboratively with different
professions The City of Austin is a diverse and unique place.
11. Benefits! Wider point of view of the City of Austin Better
knowledge and understanding of storm water infrastructure and
management Exposure to Engineering work field. .Also Shade from the
scorching Texas heat!
12. Overall as a WPD summer Intern you get an unforgettable
summer experience! Thank you WPD Oliver Sangwa