PPT ON TQM..please also see http://youtu.be/VJ9XwJqTRog
Text of TQM (Total Quality Management)
Total Quality Management-a continuous improvement process
Presented by AMARCHAND . L09MBA02.
Quality“Quality is defined as the totality of characteristics &
features of a product or process which facilitates realization of given requirements.”
Quality --A Few Definitions 1. Conformance to requirements --Crosby 2. Fitness for use --Japan 3. I know it when I see it --Guaspari4. Value to someone --Weinberg
"Quality has no meaning except as defined by the desires and needs of the customers." Deming
.TQM is a approach to improve the effectiveness & flexibility of business as a whole.TQM is way of organizing by involving everyone. A comprehensive, organization-wide effort to improve the quality of products and services, applicable to all organizations.
What is Total Quality Management
TQM is a comprehensive management system which:
Focuses on meeting owners’/customers’ needs, by providing quality services at
a reasonable cost.
Focuses on continuous improvement.
Recognizes role of everyone in the organization.
Views organization as an internal system with a common aim.
Focuses on the way tasks are accomplished.
Evolution of TQM
• How is customer satisfaction achieved? Two dimensions: Product features and Freedom from
• Product features – Refers to quality of design. Examples in manufacturing industry: Performance,
Reliability, Durability, Ease of use etc. Examples in service industry: Accuracy, Timeliness,
Friendliness and courtesy, Knowledge of server etc.
• Freedom from deficiencies – Refers to quality of conformance.
Higher conformance means fewer complaints and increased customer satisfaction.
Quality perspectives Everyone defines Quality based on their own
perspective of it. Typical responses about the definition of quality would include:
1. Perfection2. Consistency3. Eliminating waste4. Speed of delivery5. Compliance with policies and procedures6. Doing it right the first time7. Delighting or pleasing customers8. Total customer satisfaction and service
At organizational level, we need to ask following questions:
• Which products and services meet your expectations?• Which products and services you need that you are not
At process level, we need to ask:• What products and services are most important to the
external customer?• What processes produce those products and services?• What are the key inputs to those processes?• Which processes have most significant effects on the
organization’s performance standards?
At the individual job level, we should ask:• What is required by the customer?• How can the requirements be measured?• What is the specific standard for each
• Quality Planning
• Quality control
• Quality improvement
• Determine who the customers are• Determine the needs of the customer• Develop product features that responds to
customer’s needs• Develop processes that are able to produce
those product features• Fail-safing/Foolproofing : Pokayoke• Transfer the resulting plan to the operating
• Evaluate actual quality performance
• Compare actual performance to quality goals
• Take remedial actions
• Establish the infrastructure to achieve annual quality improvement
• Identify the improvement projects• Project teams• Provide the resources ,motivation, training - Diagnose the causes - Stimulate establishment of remedy - Establish controls to retain the benefits