1. ENABLING DATA MIGRATION AND IMPROVED CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE THROUGH DATA QUALITY ENHANCEMENT Nonna Milmeister Group Manager, Enterprise Data Quality (EDQ) Telstra March 2011 `
2. CONTENT `
About Telstra and data migration project 11
About Enterprise Data Quality Group 12
Stream 1 Data Quality Enhancement and Consolidation 14
Stream 2 IQ architecture and Optimisation 17
Stream 3 Data Governance and Prevention 19
Benefits Achieved 24
Best Practices Learned 25
3. Australias leading telecommunications and information services company
4. To improve the way people live and work
5. Full range of products & services
6. Vast geographical coverage Many millions of Australian customers
7. *Figs as at 30 June 2010 Sales Revenue* $24.8 Billion EBIT $10.8 Billion
8. CALLS IN OUR CONTACT CENTRES EACH DAY 300,000
9. 23,000 CUSTOMER SERVICE JOBS A DAY
10. Customer driven culture
11. TELSTRA AND CONSUMER CUSTOMER MIGRATION `
Telstra is Australias largest telecommunications and information services company.
Telstra employs approximately 36,000 people.
Telstra has undertaken a large scale data migration project to progressively migrate Consumer Customers to new CRM and Billing Systems.
This project involved migrating more than 11 million customers from multiple customer and product systems, including fixed, internet, mobiles and PayTV.
To support this effort the Enterprise Data Quality Group (EDQ) was engaged to establish a data quality enhancement project to enhance and consolidate data.
12. ` ENTERPRISE DATA QUALITY GROUP OUR ROLE
13. ` LEGACY SYSTEMS 11M+ customers 1,600+ source data items THE DATA QUALITY JOURNEY Enabling data migration & improved customer experience through Data Quality enhancement 1. Data Quality Enhancement & Consolidation 2. IQ Architecture & Optimisation 3. Data Governance & Prevention STRATEGIC SYSTEMS CRM Billing Single CRM and Billing system for all product types
14. ` LEGACY SYSTEMS 11M+ customers 1,600+ source data items THE DATA QUALITY JOURNEY Enabling data migration & improved customer experience through Data Quality enhancement 1. Data Quality Enhancement & Consolidation STRATEGIC SYSTEMS CRM Billing Single CRM and Billing system for all product types The Challenge Develop a single customer identity from data spread across multiple systems for same customer for different products (fixed, mobile, etc).
15. STREAM 1 - ENHANCEMENT AND CONSOLIDATION `
Identified and consolidated the best point of truth data to build a single, enriched customer Golden Copy.
Utilised Direct Marketing Campaigns and external points of truth to enhance and supplement customer data.
Built sophisticated matching and merging capability.
Created a state of the art, web based portal for manual verification and optimisation of customer records.
Established a virtual team (Business, IT, Migration, Marketing and Customer Communications).
Utilised regular data extracts and infrastructure developed for data migration to perform data analysis and optimisation activities.
Integrated learnings into CRM architectural design and improved data definitions, standards and business rules for single customer identity.
16. ` ON-LINE DATA PORTAL
17. ` LEGACY SYSTEMS 11M+ customers 1,600+ source data items THE DATA QUALITY JOURNEY Enabling data migration & improved customer experience through Data Quality enhancement 2. IQ Architecture & Optimisation STRATEGIC SYSTEMS CRM Billing Single CRM and Billing system for all product types The Challenge Transform data held in multiple systems, with different data structures & formats into quality migration ready data to be moved to strategic CRM and Billing systems.
18. STREAM 2 - IQ ARCHITECTURE AND OPTIMISATION `
Completed data mapping from legacy to strategic data models, and established business rules and definitions.
Optimisation, enhancement and survivorship of data to align to strategic IT & process architecture.
Developed a data mapping methodology and process to identify points of truth, and establish business rules and definitions.
Data mapping application designed and built in-house.
Mapped more than1,600 data attributes to deliver complete and accurate data profile for migration to CRM and billing systems.
Facilitated Data Architecture design workshops to drive best practice data capture in new systems and provided optimal data definitions for target data model.
Designed, built and implemented an automated process to match addresses and allocate address IDs.
More than 50 mini data optimisation projects managed simultaneously and timed to achieve the maximum benefit for each migration event.
Improved on-line work instructions and information provided to customer facing staff to deliver sustainable solutions in the new systems.
19. ` LEGACY SYSTEMS 11M+ customers 1,600+ source data items THE DATA QUALITY JOURNEY Enabling data migration & improved customer experience through Data Quality enhancement 3. Data Governance & Prevention STRATEGIC SYSTEMS CRM Billing Single CRM and Billing system for all product types Data Policies, Data Councils, Data Stewards, Metrics, Continuous Improvement, DQ Awareness & Training
20. STREAM 3 - DATA GOVERNANCE AND PREVENTION `
Engaged an Executive Champion to lead Data Governance.
Partnered with other Business Units to establish corporate-wide Data Governance.
Established Data Stewardship across key data domains and all Business Units.
Continued development of Data Quality scorecards to measure and control DQ health.
Designed and implemented mandatory Information Quality on-line training for all Telstra employees.
Continuous improvement and next steps.
21. DATA GOVERNANCE CORPORATE MODEL ` Operational Data Stewards are Process and Information SMEs responsible for operational data management activities within their area and assisting Domain Data Stewards. Domain Data Stewards are Business SMEs who are responsible for data within defined data domains based on business needs. Data & Information Governance Forum - The Strategic Data Stewards are GMD delegates responsible for overseeing the management of information corporately. They represent the entire business, have authority to make corporate decisions across business units & processes, and form the Information Governance Board Executive Sponsors essential champions providing support and endorsement. Informal Data Stewards: We ALL have an important role to play in maintaining and improving the quality of Telstras information assets.
22. ` TELSTRA ON-LINE TRAINING COURSE
24. KEY BENEFITS `
Data optimisation decreased the number of customer migration roll-outs required which in turn reduced the system outages required for data migration.
Cost savings were realised when customers moved to a Single bill as a result of consolidated Single customer identity.
Reduced time for order activation and resolution of customer querie