Updated deck for Hive NYC Learning Network October Hive 101 Orientation
Text of Hive nyc 101 oct2014
1. Hives Big Ambitious Goals MOBILIZE more educators to adopt connected learning practices and teach web literacy CREATE high-quality connected learning and web literacy tools, content, curriculum and practices for broad use CATALYZE schools, youth programs, and city agencies to provide rich connected learning and web literacy programs especially in under-served communities GROW demand for Hive Learning Events, Communities and Networks http://hivenyc.org/2014/07/10/hive-learning-networks-vision-goals-and-conditions-for-impact/
2. Hive NYC 101
3. A City-wide Lab http://hivenyc.org/about-hive-nyc/
4. A Partner not a Funder http://hivenyc.org/about-hive-nyc/stakeholders/
6. Different by Design Stewarded by Mozilla who promotes openness, innovation and opportunity on the Internet https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/manifesto/
7. Inspired by TNHeEtw OoPrkEsN & W ThEeB Open Web Users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. ~Free Software Definition http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
8. An Open Source Approach Opportunities for exploration, experimentation, iteration, and shared discovery
9. A Network that Learns A Network for Learning hiveresearchlab.org/
10. Core Principles & Practices
11. RELEVANT & CONSEQUENTIAL Designing #MORETHANAQUOTA experiences to address the needs and potential of youth ChangeMakers Project Latino Justice/Make the Road/Urban Arts Project
12. EQUITABLE & ACCESSIBLE Building learning opportunities in a way that fosters interoperability Emoti-Con NYC: Youth Digital Media and Technology Showcase http://emoti-con.org/
13. ENGAGING & PARTICIPATORY Supporting exploratory innovation practices that lead to new ideas State of the Hive Meet-up, March 2014
14. WORKING OPEN valuing discovery, acquisition of knowledge, and the process of remixing and sharing learning with others
15. Get Involved
16. Community Calls Hive hosts monthly online meetings. Community and invited guests discuss and work on ideas around shared topics and concerns. Guests are welcome to contribute content and/or listen in. It is great way to learn more about what is going on in Hive NYC. hive.etherpad.mozilla.org/hivecall2
17. Meet Ups Hive hosts monthly meet ups for community members to come together around common interests, challenges and ideas. The location changes every month and various Hive community members present projects, facilitate activities or lead these hand-ons and participatory sessions.
18. Hive Pop-ups & Events Maker Parties, Pop-Ups, skill shares, and game jams are just a few of the ways Hive community members explore, experiment and iterate together.
19. Sharing (and Learning) Openly Individual Hive NYC stakeholders meet online to provide feedback and circulate discoveries. The online forum Discourse provides a platform for various Hive communities to connect and share across practices.
20. Hive Design Charrettes Diverse stakeholders work with facilitators in a concentrated amount of time to build a strategic plan, play-test an idea or deconstruct a persistent challenge. http://hiveresearchlab.org/a-network-for-learning-creating-pathway-experiences-for-hive-nyc-youth/
21. Teach The Web Hive is a local driver of Mozillas global campaign to democratize and teach the web. Mozillas Webmaker tools and programs empower educators to share content, mentor learners and remix curriculum. http://webmaker.org/resources
22. Funded Partnerships Projects funded by the Hive Digital Media Learning Fund are designed to develop new ideas and practices and scale the ones that work. The New York Community Trust releases two Request for Proposals a year to eligible lead member organizations and their collaborators. http://hivenyc.org/portfolio/ http://hivenyc.org/members/
23. Cohort Learning Lab Lead member organizations use funded partnerships to incubate new ideas while enacting and scaling connected learning and web literacy. Project teams share findings and plans online while partnerships are in progress. http://hivenycohort.tumblr.com/