Presentation I gave on Open Source and Enterprise Content Management in Lausanne, Switzerland at an event hosted by ELCA on 24 May 2011
Text of Why stop Open Source in the Enterprise?
1. Open Source and Enterprise Content Management @johnnewton
2. Alfresco is Enterprise Software + Content Management + Commercial Open Source Management Team Experience Largest private Open Source company by revenue Investors
4. Once upon a time, IT was controlled by a Priesthood of highly intelligentpeople Your Worship! Once I get the Maven build done, I am going to deploy it on the Cloud instance with multiple shards! Man! You are awesome!!!
5. And they controlled and centralized all applications and data Courtesy of John Mancini AIIM.org
6. And technology would flow from the Fortune 1000 Courtesy of John Mancini AIIM.org
7. Yes, your honor! I did leave my mobile without password protection! Systems of Record Command and control Transaction-oriented Document-centric Limited deployment Central IT-provisioned And these applications knew what they were good at
8. This gave vendors all the control Hey You! Where do you think youre going? Its time to renew!
9. But their user interfaces were very powerful, but not very user friendly
10. This left customers a little unhappy How much per year?!!! For that crap?!!
11. And thus was born Free Software
12. Quickly Open Source evolved with Linux Lets stay Open, Modular and Free!
13. Open Source was Built Differently
14. Because Open Source removed the Lock-in and opened the Architecture Customer Customer Customer Media Code Sales Blogger Reception Developer Developer Product Mgmt Shipping Customer Development (Bugs) Internet and Community Mgmt Support Engineer QA Support Marketer Accounts Partner Marketing Tester Partner Partner Partner Open Source Closed Source
15. Lifecycle of an Open Source Project Internet Downloads Design and Compose I fixed a bug! I want to buy! Community Deployment Contribution
16. Virtuous Cycle A New Value Chain for Software PROJECT GOVERNANCE Development Distribution Marketing Sales / Consulting Support Develop from other Open Source Components Deliver for free over the internet Market by Word of Mouth and Community Demand is generated inside the company Solves the problem or not Users participate in QA and resolution of problems with the code Product Mgmt Community participates in ideas, priorities, testing and new components
17. Strong Governance led to Professional Open Source Open Source is like Economy Class! You get nice champagne in first class, but you still get there at the same time! Marten Mickos CEO of Eucalyptus and former CEO of MySQL
18. And this was the environment in which Alfresco System was born Web Applications Portals Web Services BPM App Server Email CMIS Virtual File System Portal Server SOAP FTP CIFS WebDAV High Availability
19. Web Shared Drive Email Portals Office Protocol Innovating in access and simplicity
20. And easily deployed and consumable Its so small it even fits on this USB stick!
21. How Do We Make Money? Open Source Distribution