Second grade students read A Walk in the Desert by Caroline Arnold. This is a selection from the expository nonfiction genre. They used the Super 3 Research Model to locate, gather and use information about different animals of the desert to create a slide show.
- 1. Animals of the Desert Ms. Dobbins Class 2009-2010
2. Caitlyn and Garrett Mrs. Dobbins September 2009 Little Kit Fox 3. Diet
- It eats rodents, squirrels, rabbits, insects, birds, lizards, plant matter.
- Its predators are vultures, hyenas, and jackals and goes to hide in its burrows.
- It is a small slender animal with ears that are large and triangular. Its color is tan and tail is tipped with black.
6. Cool Facts
- Its sight and hearing are keen. They have an excellent sense of smell. The kit fox never gets water, it only gets it from its food.
7. Sources used for this project:
8. Cole and Charissa Dobbins 2009 Roadrunner 9. Diet
- They eatspiders andfruit.
- The enemies are hawks and snakes. They run fast.
- It is brown and covered with feathers.
12. Cool Facts
- When the snake tries to bite the roadrunner, the roadrunner snaps its neck.
13. Sources used for this project:
14. Gracie and Caleb Mrs. Dobbins September 2009 Bandicoot 15. Diet
- The bandicoot eats termites,
- lizards, worms, mice, snails, and fruit.
- The bandicoots predators are foxes,and wild cats.
- The bandicoot is 11 to 32 inches long. The bandicoot has gray fur and a lighter belly and pouch. They have powerful clawed hindlegs.
18. Cool Facts
- The bandicoot needs very little water. The bandicoot digs underground dens 5 feet long.
19. Sources used for this project:
- http://www.enchantedlearning.com /
20. Hunter and Zachary Mrs. DobbinsSeptember 2009 Jackrabbit 21. Diet
- The jackrabbit eats grasses, herbs, leaves, bark, and twigs.
- His predators are dogs, foxes, raccoons, weasels, bobcats, and lynxes. He hears and runs fast.
- The jack rabbit is 2 feet tall. His large ears help him hear good and helps him hunt for food.
24. Cool Facts
- Most hares live about a year.
25. Sources used for this project:
26. Integrity and Noah Mrs. Dobbins September 2009 Short Horned Lizard 27. Diet
- Its predators are snakes.It plays dead andacts like a rock.
- Short horned lizards have spiny scales. Short horned lizards are flat round lizards with short stubby horns above the eyes and around the back of the head.
30. Cool Facts
- Short horned lizards squirt blood from the eyes for 2-3 feet when bothered by enemies.
31. Sources used for this project:
32. Madison Mrs. Dobbins September 2009 Rattle Snake 33. Diet
- Theyre meat eaters. They eat rodents, lizards, and other small animals.
- It shades in with rocks. Eagles, hawks, roadrunners, kingsnakes, coyote, bobcats,and fox are its predators.
- This snake ranges in size from 3 to 5 feet long with few reaching 7 feet long.
36. Cool Facts
- The rattlesnake can move his tail back and forth 60 times in a second.
37. Sources used for this project:
38. Logan and Andrew Mrs. Dobbins September 2009 Gila Monster 39. Diet
- It eats small mammals, lizards, frogs, insects, and dead animals and bird eggs.
- Humans are its main predator. But it has more predators hawks and birds are its prey . It hides in the sand.
- The Gila monster has a colorful beadlike skin. It helps the animal camouflage.
42. Cool Facts
- They store fat in its tail. So it can live for months.
43. Sources used for this project:
44. Monteleto Mrs. Dobbins September 2009 Coyote 45. Diet
- It eats fruit and small mice.
- Wolves, cougars, and bears are predators. It run fast.
- It has long legs and dark eyes.
48. Cool Facts
- They hunt with badgers sometimes.
49. Sources used for this project:
50. Jenna and Oscar September 2009 Mrs. Dobbins Fennec Fox 51. Diet
- It eats birds, eggs, lizards, and, insects.
- Vultures, hyenas, and jackals are predators. May hide in burrow to escape predators.
- Body length is 14 -16 inches, tail length is 8 inches, weight is 33 pounds. It is covered with fuzzy fur.
54. Cool Facts
- It is cool because it has a long reddish brown bushy tail with a black tip. The fennec is the world's smallest fox.
55. Sources used for this project:
56. Madison W. and Tyler Mrs. Dobbins September 2009 Kangaroo Rat 57. Diet
- It eats little seeds and a little water almost every day.
- The predators are rattlesnakes. Its powerful hind legs are used to dig big holes.
- They have big ears, very long tails, and light brown fur.
60. Cool Facts
- Kangaroo rats can hop very high and have a very long tail.
61. Sources used for this project: