Morten Fauerby Thomsen CARE

  • Published on
    21-May-2015

  • View
    188

  • Download
    1

Embed Size (px)

DESCRIPTION

Presentation from the conference Not Seeing the Forest and People for the Carbon

Transcript

<ul><li> 1. Safeguards and Co-benefits in NepalPrepared by: Dil Raj Khanal, FECOFUN Morten Fauerby Thomsen, CARE Denmark</li></ul> <p> 2. Major initiatives in Nepal1. Preparation of R-PP through FCPF (World Bank)2. Social &amp; Environmental Strategic Assessment (SESA)3. Preparation of country specific REDD+ Social &amp; Environmental Standards (REDD+ SES)4. Forming a civil society alliance on REDD+5. Piloting REDD+ activities Capacity Building Community based carbon monitoring Benefit sharing mechanism 3. Safeguard mechanisms The R-PP includes 2 key safeguard mechanisms: Social &amp; Environmental Strategic Assessment SESA (comp. 2d) Social &amp; Environmental Standards - REDD+ SES (comp. 4b) Coordination between the 2 processes is important butincrease complexity 4. Design - Readiness ImplementationStrategic Environmental &amp; Social Why: improve design, build support Assessment (SESA) What: governance, rights,An iterative process of analysis and positive/negative impacts,consultation to improve design Who: multi-stakeholder,No predefined contentparticipatoryEnvironmental &amp; SocialManagement Framework (ESMF)Framework for development ofplans to mitigate and managerisks with respect to World Bank Why: required for funding, improvesafeguards design What: WB safeguards, negative impacts, rights Who: government and delivery partner? 5. Design - Readiness Implementation REDD+ Social &amp; Environmental Standards (REDD+ SES) Inclusive multi-stakeholder process uses comprehensive framework to define country-specific indicators, monitoring plan, review bystakeholders for ongoing monitoring and reporting of process andimpactsFacilitation TeamTechnical AssessmentStandards(REDDWorkingreportCommitteecell/FECOFGroup(from 2013)UN) Why: monitoring &amp; reporting, build stakeholder support, improve design What: governance, rights, positive/negative impacts, adapted to country context Who: multi-stakeholder, participatory identification indicators, assessment, review 6. Equitable benefit sharingPilot project by FECOFUN, ICIMOD and ANSAB Established methods for monitoring carbon stocks incommunity forest Established an equitable benefit sharing mechanism: The first years increase in carbon is only weighed 40%, the remaining 60% is calculated based on social criteria such as poverty levels, number of indigenous people (Dalits). Payment based on plan from forest user groups specifying how they intend to use the funds. Funds are administered through a Forest Carbon Trust Fund to ensure transparency and participation. The system is based on national and district level advisory committees, who decides on how much money each watershed and forest user group should receive. A Watershed REDD Network, consisting of forest user groups, then act as a bridge between district level actors and local forest user groups, and also channel the funding. 7. Experiences and recommendationsCommunities: Clarity on land/forest rights is important. In Nepal governmentowns the land, but the communities own forest resources (or 50/50in Collaborative systems). Who owns the carbon rights? Strategy to increase carbon stocks might conflict with local interestsin forest products (firewood, construction material). How does thisinflict on poor peoples income generation opportunities. How canREDD+ compensate? Empower communities to make their own management plans thatconsider the needs of the poor and marginalised (ownership) Ensure a transparent and equitable benefit sharing with, and alsowithin, indigenous and local communities (avoid elite capture) Monitoring systems should be kept simple and prioritise localinvolvement, and reward mechanisms should consider social factors. 8. Experiences and recommendationsCivil society: Participation of civil society is crucial, both in developing REDDstrategies and safeguards (REDD working group), but also theirinvolvement in implementation Build capacity of civil society/local communities to activelyengage in REDD+ strategy development processes (REDD+alliance in Nepal), and ensure wide consultation processes. 9. Thank you</p>