Calvary Press June 2013
Pastor: The Rev. Hiromi Yoneda
Pastor Emeritus: The Rev. Saburo Masada 2343 Country Club Blvd., Stockton, CA 95204 Office: (209) 466-0221 Fax: (209) 466-1839
Many of you may be familiar with a father and son running team known as Team Hoyt. Dick Hoyt (73), is a retired Lieutenant in the Air National
Guard His son, Rick (51), was born with cerebral palsy. Nevertheless, they have been running and competing in triathlons and marathons for more than three decades.
As of April 2013, the Hoyts have competed in 1,077 endurance events, including 70 marathons and six Ironman triathlons. They have run the Boston Marathon 30 times. Also adding to their list of achievements, Dick and Rick biked and ran across the U.S. in 1992, completing a full 3,735 miles in 45 days. They also compete in triathlons.
Team Hoyt began in 1977 when Rick became inspired by an article on racing he saw in a magazine. Dick Hoyt was not a runner and was nearly 37 years old. After their first race, Rick said, Dad, when Im running, it feels like Im not handicapped. That sold Dick to continue their team racing. After their initial five mile run, Dick began running every day with a bag of cement in the wheelchair because Rick was at school and studying, unable to train with him.
The extent a father will go for the love of his child is inspiring. Good fathers do that: at times they carry, encourage, equip, push, lead, nurture, provide and much more. Their example of selfless love shows their children how much our Heavenly Father loves us. 1 John 4:19 says: We love because He first loved us.
Have a Blessed Fathers Day!
1. The Session approved placing 20/70 of the monies in the checking account into the Synod of the Pacific 1.25% money market and 1.75% 6-month CD. 2. Mortgage Sunday will be held every other year. The next Mortgage Sunday will be in 2014. 3. The years Calvaryfest will be held on Saturday, August 3rd. 4. Daisy Chew has agreed to coordinate the Fellowship Tea schedule. We ask for everyones cooperation in this ministry of hospitality.
5. Additional Bibles for use during the worship service will be available in the sanctuary on a table behind the last pew.
6. Thank you to Steve Takemoto for purchasing the new refrigerator for the church kitchen. 7. Guest Speakers during Pastor Hiromis vacation are:
June 9th Rev. Clover Bailey June 16th Ron Kuwahara June 23rd Rev. Lee Helms
April 2013 YTD Income $75,666.43 Expenses - 63,046.23 Total $12,620.20
Deacons Corner O ur 2nd Quarter Outreach Project will be Saturday, July 13th:
1) Helping Hands - Ilene Kuwahara (Leader) - Food Ministry - 10 volunteers are needed. Donated food items are bagged in an assembly-line fashion. The bags are distributed to the needy at three different locations. - Clothing Ministry - 5 volunteers are needed to sort gently used clothing/linens for the Helping Hands clothing store. The location is 429 E. March Lane (behind Food For Less). Plan to meet at Calvary at 8:30am for group photo and prayer, then carpool over to Helping Hands. We anticipate being finished by about 11:00am to carpool back to church for fellowship lunch.
2) Mary Graham Childrens Home - Dave Furukawa (Leader) 12 volunteers are needed. Children are welcome to participate! Donations of toothbrushes, toothpaste, dental floss, small washcloths, shower caps, small Kleenex packages, shampoo, deodorant (aerosol), soap, 1-gallon zip-lock bags are needed for hygiene kits. A box has been placed in the back of the Fellowship Hall for these donations.
Schedule for Mary Grahams Childrens Home: 8:00am: Meet at Calvary 8:15am- 8:45 am: Assemble hygiene kits, group
photo, and prayer 8:45am - 9:00am: Carpool to Mary Graham 9:00am - 9:30am: Prepare for various activities 9:30am - 10:30am: Crafts & Battle Buddy
10:30am - 11:00am: Games 11:00am - 11:45am: Root beer floats, Group round
table discussion, and Clean-up 11:45 am Noon: Carpool back to church for
3) Habitat for Humanity - Habitat House Building - Brian Dwyer (Leader) 10 volunteers are needed from 8:00am - 11:30am. We will meet at the site and begin with a group photo and prayer. The building will be finished on July 6th, so our group will be doing finishing touches and clean up. We will return to the church for fellowship lunch. - Habitat Restore Warehouse - Joyce Nakashima (Leader) 10 volunteers are needed from 9:00am - 11:30am. Plan to meet at the church at 8:30am for a group photo and prayer, then carpool to the warehouse. We will return to the church for fellowship lunch. This project is less physically demanding than the house building. The job will consist of sorting and organizing items that are displayed on shelves. The warehouse location is 1038 W. Fremont.
4) Church Lunch Crew - Daisy Chew (Leader) 5 volunteers are needed to prepare lunch for all project participants.
Sign-up sheets for all projects will be in the Social Hall. We encourage you to participate and involve others. You will be blessed by the experience!
Katelyn Nakamura, Youth Deacon, is pleased to report that the donation amount for the Change For Change project is $727.02. Thank you for your generous contributions. Every penny counts!
SAVE THE DATE: August 10th, Stockton Ports Faith Night vs. Modesto Nuts. There will be a live band, player testimonials, and post-game fireworks. Please consider inviting friends and family to this event for fun and Christian fellowship. More details will follow. Karen Nakamura is the contact person.
We extend our deepest sympathy to the family of Joan Fukuhara whose memorial service was held at the church on May 18th.
Please keep Jimmy Chan and Charise Masada in your prayers, as well as all others in need of His comfort and loving care. We also ask the Lord for His comfort upon the family of Henry Arata who went home to be with the Lord on May 25th.
Our 2013 Spaghetti Feed was another slurping success as we netted around $8,500. We would not have been able to feed almost 600 people without the energy and devotion of the following people and their teams! Thank you for all your hard work:
CHAIRPERSONS: General Sally Tsunekawa, Kitchen Karen Morita, Ticket Sales Myra Fong, Raffle Mary Nakamura, Procurement Ilene Kuwahara, Table Covering Joyce Nakashima, Servers Ron Kuwahara, Set Up/Clean Up Willie Low & Keith Yamada, Audio/Advertising Allen Fong, Dessert Lee Paston, Drinks Liane Komure & Karen Nakamura
SPECIAL THANKS to CHEF ROY RABENA! (Chef Roy cooked during the wee hours of the morning so that he could attend his
granddaughters Polynesian dance competition, which was during the entire day of the Spaghetti Feed! What a devoted Chef! It was the most delicious pasta ever!)
And of course, a BIG THANKS to all our basketball players (servers), Lincoln High volunteers, and ALL Calvary volunteers who made this event possible!
Last but not least, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to our many generous donors for the wonderful raffle prizes!
RAFFLE DONATION RECOGNITION: Harold Aoyama, Grace Arata, Shirley Bertoni, Brookside Country Club, Charter Way Florist, D Basketball Team, Dantes Pizza, Nancy Deguire, Brian & Christine Dwyer, Elkhorn Country Club, Myra Fong, High School Sunday School Class, Gary & Janice Ishimaru, Knit Nite, Dean & Liane Komure, Mary Lam, Elaine Low, M & W Dutch Bakery, Charise Masada, Matsuyama, Tom & Tsuru Miyasaki, Alice Mui, Jerry & Karen Nakamura, Sandy Nakashima, Natural Touch Massage, Nichigo, Anne Nishioka, Dorothy Nishioka, Kazumi Nishioka, Ruth Oda, The Reserve at Spanos Park, Sakura, Bill Shima, Sally Tsunekawa, Steven Tsunekawa, Tangles Hair Salon, Marcy Wong
SUPPLY DONATION RECOGNITION: Daisy Chew, Brian Dwyer, Gary & Janice Ishimaru, Miki Kagoshima, Nancy Kaneko, Liane Komure, Joan Matsune, Janet Menor, Joyce Nakashima, Julianne Nakashima, Dorothy Nishioka, Kazumi Nishioka, Hisako Smith, Marsha Yoneda, Ruth Yoneshige
We are so blessed to have such a hard working family and village of people to support us! Praise God!
SPECIAL OFFERINGSBirthday Fund Tom & Tsuru Miyasaki Jim & Sally Tsunekawa
Compassion Child Kazumi Nishioka
Deacons Fund Daisy Chew Miki Kagoshima Jerry & Karen Nakamura Ted & Sue Yoneda
Spaghetti Feed Duane & Jean Sakoda
In Honor of granddaughter Mallorys acceptance to University of Oxford, England George & Amy Matsumoto
In Memory of Joan Fukuhara Harold & Aiko Aoyama Ben & Susie Hamamoto Lori Hart Gary & Janice Ishimaru Miki Kagoshima Katy Komure Tom & Tsuru Miyasaki Sam & Sumi Motoike
Jerry & Karen Nakamura Ren & Julianne Nakashima Kazumi Nishioka Bill, Mary, & Dean Shima Pastor Hiromi & Marsha Yoneda Ruth Yoneshige
In Memory of Les Matsune Joan Matsune
In Memory of Ben & Susan Motoike Sam & Kinuyo Tanaka
New Refrigerator Steve & Barbara Takemoto