2. What is Poetry?
- Poetry is a river, poem after poem moves along in the exciting
crests and falls of the the river waves.None is timeless; each
arrives in an historical context, almost everything, in the end,
3. What is Poetry? My Definition!
- Poetry is a way for a poet to express their
4. AcrosticThe wordacrosticis formed from the Greek
wordacros(outermost) andstichos(line of poetry). The acrostic is a
poem where the first letter of each line forms a word when you read
them looking downward.
http://www.readwritethink.org/materials/acrostic/ P anthers growl,
O rioles sing,E agles soar,M onkeys swing.S ee? 5. My Acrostic
- Excitement before the game
- Yelling from the sideline
6. My Acrostic #2
- Karate suits are never pink
- COMPOSING A TRADITIONAL JAPANESE HAIKU POEM
- The 300-year old Haiku Poem has its own distinct
discipline:-Each complete poem has only three lines, totalling 17
syllables. - the first line must be five syllables - the second
line must be seven syllables - the third line must be five
syllables When these rigid conditions are met, the result can be a
very satisfying word picture.
- Birds take wing on high,gliding over angry waves back to their
8. My Haiku #1
- What if the water ran out
9. My Haiku #2
- please recycle what you can
10. Collected Haiku #1
- where the beach umbrella was
11. Collected Haiku #2
- drip drip of monsoon water.
12. CinquainCinquain poems come in three formats: Cinquain
Pattern #1 Line1: One word Line2: Two words Line 3: Three words
Line 4: Four words Line 5: One word Cinquain Pattern #2 Line1: A
noun Line2: Two adjectives Line 3: Three -ing words Line 4: A
phrase Line 5: Another word for the noun 13. CinquainCinquain
Pattern #3 Line1: Two syllables Line2: Four syllables Line 3: Six
syllables Line 4: Eight syllables Line 5: Two syllables
14. My Cinquain #1
15. My Cinquain #2
- delicious, nice and disgusting
16. DiamanteA diamante is a seven line poem, shaped like a
diamond. Line 1: one word (subject/noun that is contrasting to line
7)Line 2: two words (adjectives) that describe line 1Line 3: three
words (action verbs) that relate to line 1Line 4: four words
(nouns) first 2 words relate to line 1 last 2 words relate to line
7Line 5: three words (action verbs) that relate to line 7Line 6:
two words (adjectives) that describe line 7Line 7: one word (
subject/noun that is contrasting to line 1)
http://www.readwritethink.org/materials/diamante/ 17. Diamante
Example square symmetrical, conventional shaping, measuring,
balancing boxes, rooms, clocks, halos encircling, circumnavigating,
enclosing round, continuous circle 18. My Diamante #1
19. My Diamante #2
20. Free Verse
- Does not have to have a specific rhythm
- Makes use of figurative speech
21. Free Verse Tools
- Metaphor suggests a similarity between two thingsThe road
snakes around the mountain .
- Simile highlights the comparison between two things using like,
as, resembles, etc.
- The stars in the night sky were like sparkling diamonds.
- Personification giving human characteristics to things which
are clearly not human
- The outboard motor cleared its throat.
- Alliteration repeating words with the same beginning sound
Thomas tied two turnips to two tall trees.
- Imagery using vivid, descriptive words to conjure up an
- The car sped. - The flashy, yellow, mustang streaked like a
bullet along the highway.
- Onomatopoeia using words that sound like what they mean
- Hyperbole using exaggeration to make a point
- Make me a sundae a mile high .
22. My Free Verse #1
23. My Free Verse #2
- So he dose not have to live in my tree
24. Collected Free Verse #1
- My Noisy Brotherby Bruce Lansky
- My brothers such a noisy kid,
- when he eats soup he slurps.
- When he drinks milk he gargles.
- And after meals he burps.
- He cracks his knuckles when hes
- He whistles when he walks.
- He snaps his fingers when he sings.
- and when hes mad he squawks.
- At night my brother snores so loud
- it sounds just like a riot.
- my noisy brother isnt quiet
25. Collected Free Verse #2
- Selling hats in Headless Town
- Special sale, so gather round.
- Short brim,wide brim, white or brown,
- Hats for sale in Headless Town.
- Selling hats in Headless Town
- Stetson,bonnet,cap,or crown,
- Isnt there one soul around
- Who needs a hat in Headless Town?
- Selling hats Headless Town
- Sure can get a fella down,
- (I once sold shoes in Footlessville)
26. Repeat Poster Poem
- Statements beginning with same word
- One statement on each shape
- Attach to poster in all directions
27. Friendship is being there Friendship is of the heart
Friendship is a feast Friendship is trying to understand a mole
Luke, Grade 6 Salamandastron, Brian Jacque 28. My Repeat Poster
Poem #1 chocolate is usually delicious Chocolate has heaps of
brands Chocolate has lots of flavours 29. Character Poem First name
Lives _________ where she Hears ___________ Sees ________________
Touches ______________ Needs _____________ Fears ____________ Gives
_________________ Wonders __________________ Dreams
________________ Believes ______________ Loves _____________ IsLast
name. 30. Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest, Ann McGovern
- Lives in Sherwood Forest where he
- Hears about the archery contest,
- Sees the evil sheriff as an enemy,
- Dreams about Maid Marian,
- Loves the feel of a bow in his hands, and
- Is happy to live in Sherwood Forest
31. My Character Poem #1
- Lives in Lala land where she
- Hears the flowers whispering
- Touchs the sky and the moon
- Needs lots of food and a library
- Wonders why the grass is green
- Dreams of being a rocket scientist with Holly -rose
32. Riddle Poem
- Line 1:clue about subject
- Line 2:adjective and noun
- Line 3:two actions connected to subject
- Line 4:phrase or statement
33. Haymeadow, Gary Paulsen Dumb fly-followed stubborn and
stinky spread out like a gray carpet herd of sheep -Michael, Grade
8 34. My Riddle Poem #1
36. Rapunzels Rap Rapunzel was a girl with hair of gold Trapped
in a tower in days of old She wasnt allowed outside to play And her
golden hair grew longer each day Grew longer and longer and longer
each day. The witch who locked her up was mean With a pointed nose
and a face of green Mean mean meaner than the queen of mean. -
Sonja Dunn 37. My Rap Poem #1
- Rachael lived in lala land
- she toured round New Zealand with her band
- untill one day she cut her hand
- and there was a full moon
- witch made her choke on her spoon
38. Animated Poem
- Animate using a software program
- Incorporate into a presentation
39. Animated Three Blind Mice 40. Thanks for watching! 41. Diary
of Poetry Readings! Total Points: Date: Title: Poet: Genre:
Headless Town The Principal is Missing Kenn Nesbitt My Noisy
BrotherBruce Lansky 42. My Selected Poet! 43. About My Poet! 44.
Extra Poems that Ive Collected! 45. Total Point Summary
- Write here your total points with a breakdown of how you think
those points are made up.