1. The Truth about Growth Hacking in B2B Vishal Sunak Director of Operations, Backupify (acquired by Datto) @TheSunak, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. What you can expect today Today you will learn: The Growth Funnel How to get started Tools of the Trade Resources I love Questions
3. About Me Vishal Sunak BS in Computer Engineering, Northeastern University MS in Systems Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute SIB Graduate, WebDev, Fall 2012 Current: Director of Operations, Backupify (acquired by Datto) Past: Senior Systems Engineer, BAE Systems Contact: @TheSunak email@example.com
4. What is Growth Hacking? Term coined by Sean Ellis in 2010 Its not a replacement for marketing or better than a marketing A growth hacker is a person whose true north is growth." - Sean Ellis
5. What is Growth Hacking?
6. Its widely known in B2C Businesses
7. Today we show B2B some love The Untold Growth Story
8. The Growth Funnel for B2B Visitors Conversions Leads Set out to move the needle on one of these three things
9. The Growth Funnel for B2B Visitors Conversions Leads Increase visitors to your homepage, landing page, app store listing, etc Getting the person visiting your page to take the action you want (schedule a demo, take a trial, contact us, download content) Become a qualified prospect for your Sales engine
10. Lift - The Metric of Growth This is the metric that you are trying to improve and shows the progress of your growth activities
11. Now what? Well you get the basic concept of focusing your efforts to a particular part of the funnel Now you need to get organized and get a few people to help you with some specific skills
13. Quick Aside about Channels / Lift This is a the desired lift This is the channel (mechanism) to achieve that lift
14. Quick Aside about Channels / Lift Lets do an example together... Growth experiment: Get more visitors to our webpage Channel: Via tweeting out a link to our followers on Twitter
15. Lets get organized Agile/Scrum methodology: Backlog - List of things to do your experiments In Progress Done Trello is my preferred tool. Its free and easy to setup. Or use a spreadsheet.
16. Tools of the Trade We use many tools at Backupify on our Growth team: SEO A/B Testing Software Google Analytics Website Hacks Moz Google Spreadsheets Google Webmaster tools
17. Tools of the Trade - SEO Goal: Get more visitors to your web pages via Google by ranking on Page 1 Tool of Choice:Funnel Stage: Basic Principle: Content Landing Page Blog
18. Tools of the Trade - SEO I joined Backupify in February 2013 and then a few months later, something weird happened with our blog visitors: What happened, we wondered...
19. Tools of the Trade - SEO Hey, maybe it will go away lets keep blogging weekly. It didnt go away, it got worse.
20. Tools of the Trade - SEO As we continued to research it we discovered via Moz that Google did a Panda algorithm update in March 2013 and started to hand out penalties: Google will penalize any pages that violate these principles: Pages with thin content Duplicate pages Multiple domains pointing to the same IP address
21. Tools of the Trade - SEO Then we started looking around at the blog and the content and quickly discovered, we literally violated all the rules and were getting penalized majorly So, we hired an SEO consultant (like a real one, not someone who emails you with broken english) This is what he found: Identified that we had been penalized Thin content Duplicate pages Multiple test domains pointing to a single IP He told us to create a list of all blog pages and do an audit As a result we de-indexed many blog pages (noindex meta tags) Verified in Google Webmaster Tools Updated robots.txt file to tell Google not to index those Trust me, I got this
22. Tools of the Trade - SEO 5x We managed to fix our blogs issues and let Google munch on some beautifully SEOd content that led to a 5x increase!
24. Tools of the Trade - Website Hacks Scroll down the page, this flies out Goal: Get more blog subscribers
25. Tools of the Trade - Website Hacks 7.5x Increase in our Blog Subscribers with the Fly out (#upAndToTheRight) 7.5x
26. Tools of the Trade - Website Hacks A few more: Bounce monitoring Live Chat
28. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Anatomy of a Homepage Headline Subheadline Primary Call to Action Hero Image To generate a backlog of A/B Tests - use these four attributes
29. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing In addition to Trello, we keep a A/B Testing Program dashboard: CMOs / VPs of Marketing love to see this view - make it part of your monthly metrics collection
30. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Each Test gets its own Spreadsheet in a template - Objective
31. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Each Test gets its own Spreadsheet in a template - Supporting Information
32. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Each Test gets its own Spreadsheet in a template - The Test in Graphics
33. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Each Test gets its own Spreadsheet in a template - The Results Google Analytics helped us collect Bounce Rate (Integrated with Optimizely)
34. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing In the last 2 years we have ran tests related to: Headlines Subheadlines Button Call to Action text Button Color Button Style (ribbon vs. button, round button vs. square) Button Placement Button thickness Hero Images
35. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Example, main Button Call to Action text we tested: Start a Free Trial Schedule a Demo Try it Now Try it Free Sign Up Get Started Learn More Most popular in B2B SaaS companies by research After many tests, Learn More was the worst and Try it Free performed the best for a free Trial CTA (its the one we use today)
36. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing How long should your test run? Lots of opinions out there It should be based on your web traffic so scale accordingly Hubspots homepage traffic is slightly different than yours :) We test everything 30 days minimum based on our traffic
37. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Lets talk about results Game of small numbers
38. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Multivariate tests: Testing two variables at once For example: Headline + Call to Action on a Button Combinations: Headline A + CTA A Headline B + CTA A Headline A + CTA B Headline B + CTA B Your traffic needs to be split 4 ways Multivariate is really interesting, but remember more splits means less traffic to each combination, which could mean longer tests and inconclusive data
39. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Example of Multivariate test results Click tracking on the Homepage Trial Button Testing 2 headlines and 2 button colors simultaneously
40. Tools of the Trade - A/B Testing Lets talk about results for A/B Tests: Not all tests give you super conclusive, actionable results More likely its the Game of Small numbers 1-2% improvements Can be more frustrating than helpful Give you doubt about making a change My advice: Stay true to your original baseline (use common sense) Little percentages can add up (better up than down) Multivariate testing is great, but keep in mind the split traffic scenario 30 days minimum (unless you have a compelling reason otherwise) Get in a rhythm and keep experimenting!
41. Todays Session Summary You can do it - I promise you, youre going to be great :) Think about the growth funnel when setting up experiments Channels / Tactics - create experiments with clear objectives on both A/B Testing is the lifeblood of growth - get one running! Fail often, try different things Shamelessly steal ideas from other companies :)
42. Growth Reading The Definitive Guide to Growth Hacking, Quick Sprout http://www.quicksprout.com/the-definitive-guide-to-growth- hacking-chapter-1/ @neilpatel Coelevate, Brian Balfour VP of Growth @ Hubspot http://www.coelevate.com/ @bbalfour growthhackers.com @growthhackers @seanellis