The STELLAR Network of Excellence in Technology-enhanced Learning (http://stellarnet.eu) presents at the ICALT 2010 conference (International Conference on Advcanced Learning Technologies) in Sousse, Tunisia, the STELLAR Science 2.0 Mash-Up Infrastructure.
1. Fridolin WildThomas UllmannPeter Scott The Stellar Science 2.0 Mash-UP Infrastructure
Conclusions/ Future directions
4. SCIENCE 2.0 In the words of Waldrop (2008), science 2.0 relates to new practicesof scientists who post raw experimental results, nascent theories, claims of discovery and draft papers on the Web for others to see and comment on.Underwood et al. (2009) postulate even further that science 2.0 offers more potential than mere efficiency optimization (through improved workflows and better sharing possibilities):participationin research can be broadened beyond existing scientific communities. A science 2.0 is about crowd-sourcing of ideas and the refinement of knowledge in an open debate. Shneiderman  adds another aspect and sees in Science 2.0 new technologies[that] continue to reorder whole disciplines, as increased collaboration [is stimulated] through these socio-technical systems. Gillet et al.  see in Science 2.0 a concept that federates a variety of communication channels to ease internal communication within an existing scientific network and beyond. 5.
Mash-Ups and their Practice
6. NEW PRACTICES Version 1
End-user friendly gluing together of publicly available processing services with (public and private) data, often rendered in a widget for access and presentation
Long-tail software development:not dozens of markets of millions, but millions of markets of dozens
Form ofopportunistic design(Hartmann et al., 2008; Ncube et al., 2008; Gamble & Gamble, 2008)
Science 2.0 Architecture
8. STELLAR SCIENCE 2.0 MASH-UPARCHITECTURE
Users involve inuse-cases .
Each case deployswidgetsin support of the given task.
Widgets use infrastructureservices & data .
All three can emanate in partnerslegacy systems .
Adirectoryserves the management of the portfolio.
Interoperability standardssecure the flexible recombination of widgets, services, and data.
Science 2.0 Environments
10. RUNTIME CONTAINER: ELGG & WOOKIE STELLAR Open Archive RSS grazr Simile RSS transf. D1.1 living deliverable directory service http://TELeurope.eu/ 11. THE TEL RESEARCHER ENVIRONMENT Feed ecosystem http://universe.stellarnet.eu/ http://telpedia.stellarnet.eu/ 12. THE STELLAR FEED ECOSYSTEM converters aggregators filters http://universe.stellarnet.eu/mod/visitelf/pages/vis.php, currently beta tested for public release on teleurope.eu WIDGET: TEL EXHIBIT OPEN ARCHIVE 13.
14. SUMMARY AND OUTLOOK
Science 2.0(new practices and new tools)
Science 2.0 mash-ups
Mash-up environments (+ Widgets, directory, APIs) Future focus on recommendation and information visualization widgets
Science 2.0 data
Social Media data (alpha)
Science 2.0 practice
collaborative, and community practice (future focus)
15. Thomas Ullmann [email_address] http://twitter.com/ThomasUllmann