Foursqaure SpyGame is a new game where Foursquare users compete with each other by searching for secret intelligence messages, unlocking special power badges, and stealing each others’ achievements.
Introducing New Gaming @ foursquare
Foursqaure SpyGame is a new game where Foursquare users compete with each other by searching for secret intelligence messages, unlocking special power badges, and stealing each others achievements.
After check-ins, players can search for Intelligence Messages in the form of instructions to Secret Codes and promotional offers from various venues.
Secret Codes are collected in the form of 9-digit texts on the attachable stickers.
When players insert the exact code, one SPY Mission is completed and the player receives a Mission badge.
When a certain number of Missions is completed, a single-use power badge is unlocked randomly.
With the single-use POWER badge, players can steal other players badges.In addition, one badge allows a player to pose as a venue Mayor if the actual Mayor has not checked in.
Samples of Power Badges
4. Value Proposition
Value for Users
Value for Business/Venue
- Upgraded Gaming Experience
5. Adds new elements, such as mission and stealing, for users to enjoy more active game play without boredom. 6. More Real-world Benefits- Provides various benefits from venue promotions which are combined with spying activities.
- Makes users interacting with each other, i.e. sharing the location of secret code among friends.
7. Discourages fake check-ins by providing on-site activities through secret code stickers. 8. Easy Customized Offers 9. Enables venue owners/managers to customize their own promotions in fun game. 10. Tool for Viral Marketing 11. Creates unique stories about venue experience via mission activities and fun tips.4
12. Value Proposition
Value for Business/Venue (continued)
- SpyGame is unique because it allows venues to be participants in the game, providing advertising opportunities within a fun experience.
Example of Venue-side Persona
Pete is a 40-year-old male, who has run his own bar, P.J.s Pub, for more than five years.He is interested in interacting with customers using social marketing.He already has opened Facebook Fan page.He wants a viral word-of-mouth campaign that contains differentiated experience at his bar.He has a strong rival nearby, and is eager to hire any characteristic talents to win the local rivalry.
13. Foursquare Current Statistics
Value for Foursquare
- Expanded Venue Information
14. Generates more detailed tips about venue by adding an array of on-site activities and offers. 15. Refreshing Existing Users 16. Supplies new game feature to existing users for constant growth 17. Enlarging Unique Visitors/Traffic 18. Increases number of registered users by attracting new users.6
Unique Visitors (foursquare.com, as of May 2010)
Current User Demographic
Foursquare Current Statistics
- Currently, Foursquare Users are predominantly 35-to-49-year old females.
20. This SpyGame, while attractive to all demographics, would likely appeal to 18-to-34-year old male participants.Source: www.quantcast.com
21. Target Market
Target Market (Mt) Grid
22. Early-adopter/Influencer 23. Casual gamer/competitor 24. Bar hopper/ClubberBusiness/Venue
- Bar/Restaurant/Caf/Night club
25. Fashion boutique/Hair salon/Barber shop 26. Book store/Game shop 27. Grocery store/Liquor store Super Users/Managers
28. Managers of local favorites 29. Viral marketing managers8
30. Target Market
Mt User Persona
Chuck is a 26-year-old male.An urban professional with free time after work hours.He enjoys going bars and clubs and has played PC/console/online/social game more than 5 times a week.Already a Foursquare user for more than 6 months, quite passionate to get achievements, more than 10 Mayorships and 5 badges.He is not afraid of intense competition.
Location-based/Street Game Competitors
- SpyGame is a location-based game, also known as street game, similar to Mobzombies, KingPin, Parallel Kingdom, MyTown, SCVNGR and Geocaching.
32. Generally, the 18-to-34-year-old male is the mainstream demographic for the hard-core gamer.Mobzombies
- Based on Foursquare, transforming Check-in data to Zombie Hordes
33. Shooting and running by touching screen 34. Based on Foursquare, Mayor becomes Boss. 35. Unique feature of crime scene; Assassinate, Drive-by, and Take the Shot10
Relative to the general internet population, 25-34 males are greatly over-represented.
- Monopoly meets SimCity in street game
37. Check-in to own places and rent them 38. Possible to be monetized with in-game store 39. Based on the real world map and location, killing monsters, hunting resources, and building fortressesRelative to the general internet population, 25-34 males are over-represented.
Relative to the general internet population, 18-24 year olds are over-represented.
- Scavenger hunt with smart phone
41. Each place has various challenge and activity mostly by taking a funny picture. 42. GPS-based treasure hunt 43. User-deposited physical containers (geocaches) can be collected through outdoor activities using GPS/smart phone.12
Relative to the general internet population, 18-24 males are over-represented.
Relative to the general internet population, 25-34 males are slightly over-represented.
44. Screen Mock-ups
- After work, Chuck walked around downtown and found that his favorite bar, P.J.s Pub offers new SpyGame activity.He could see the SPYING indication on places list or venue screen.He can check the detail of the spying mission by tapping the SPYING HERE button, but cannot submit the Secret Code without check-in.Chuck decided to go to the place, check in, and start to play this.
VENUE SCREEN (1)
VENUE SCREEN (2)
MESSAGE SCREEN (1)
45. Screen Mock-ups
- After check-in at P.J.s Pub, Chuck opened the Intelligence Message screen with Secret Code slot.Following the instruction, he went to the bar and finally found the Secret Code sticker under the big moose head on the wall.He entered the code.
MESSAGE SCREEN (2)
46. Screen Mock-ups
- By entering the secret code, Chuck got a Mission badge. Also, he showed this Mission screen to the bartender to get a free pint of beer.On the screen, he checked his progress towards next Power badge (required of one more mission) and the Power badges he had, which enable him to steal other users achievements.He tapped the Imposter Power badge icon to see the details.
47. Screen Mock-ups
Power Badge Details
- Each Power badge has unique in-game function, so Chuck checked the detail about Imposter Power badge.With Imposter badge, he can choose one of the nearby Mayors and steal his/her Mayorship temporarily.Every Power badge is one-time usable.Chuck chose Jack S., the Mayor of P.J.s Pub, and used the Imposter Power badge.
POWER BADGE SCREEN
48. Screen Mock-ups
- Finally, Chuck stole the Mayorship of P.J.s Pub from Jack S., but its only for 24 hours.Also, Chuck lost the Imposter Power badge after using it.He hopes to unlock it later after he completes another mission by pursuing Spy game.Because he enjoyed the activity, Chuck is going to share the tip about the Spying offer from P.J.s Pub with other Foursquare spy users.
49. Presented by Soo Young Ahn, M.S.