Learn how social media conversations are happening around brands across the globe & how these brands highlight, showcase, respond & inspire their customers. Learn how to listen and navigate through any rough waters.
Text of Marketing to the Millennials: Connect & Engage the Younger Generation
1. Marketing to the Millennials Connect & Engage the Younger Generation Lynn Morton Manager, Marketing Technologies American Academy of Physician Assistants
A little bit about Gen Y
Questions If there is time
3. Who are the Millennials?
aka Generation Y
Born late 70s/early 80s late 90s
About 75 million strong
Strong-willed, passionate & optimistic
4. Whats different about them?
Grew up on technology
Work well in teams
Showered with attention and had parents with high expectations
Multi-taskers that appreciate structure
Exposed to heavy license based toy marketing as children
5. How do you speak to them?
Keep their attention
Allow them to work in teams
Benefit the world they live in
6. Potential Ways to Reach Them
7. Social Media
What is it? Social media is media [or content] designed to be disseminated through social interaction, created using highly accessible and scalable publishing techniques. Social media supports the human need for social interaction, using Internet- and web-based technologies to transform broadcast media monologues (one to many) into social media dialogues (many to many).
POST People, Objectives, Strategies, Tactics
The Why must come before the How
8. Tools There are so many different kinds.. Micro-Blogging Twitter/Yammer/Tumblr Time Management Tools FriendFeed/Ping.fm/HootSuite Video Sharing Vimeo/YouTube/Blip.TV Content Aggregator Google Reader/Netvibes/Bloglines Social Networks Facebook/Myspace/LinkedIn Live Streaming Ustream/Qik/Justin.TV And many, many more are out there!
9. Objectives over Tools
You can find the tools to meet your objective, but you have to know why youre doing it first.
So how do I figure that out?
What is listening online?
How do I listen?
What is the purpose of listening?
What tools do I use to listen?
11. Listening Tools
Google Alerts set-up for keywords, your brand & competitors