1. Awareness and Reflection In Personal Learning Environments Workshop at the PLE 2011 ConferenceFirehouse Introduction Thomas Daniel Ullmann, Rebecca Ferguson, Simon Buckingham Shum - Knowledge Media Institute, OU Ruth Deakin Crick University of Bristol
2. Designing an Online Mentoring System for Self-Awareness and Reflection on Lifelong Learning Skills In other terms: How to map an established face-to-face mentoring system to an online system.
3. ELLIMent: Supporting Life Long Learning Skills Online Online Mentoring. Based on the ELLI (Effective Life Long Learning Inventory). Awareness: Representation of seven learning power dimensions. Reflection: Exchange of reflections between mentee and mentor and vice verse. Reflection history. http://kmi.open.ac.uk/technologies/name/elliment
5. Challenges of this research What elements of face-to-face mentoring are essential and realizable as an online tool. Using ELLIMent in a PLE scenario. What makes a good mentor if everyone can be your personal mentor? Can we build a system which connects you with the right mentor? Can learning paths help to reflect on life long learning skills? Analytics: How to detect support needs.
6. What should we focus on during this workshop? Awareness and Reflection Components Design patterns Vision sharing Fun
7. Research agenda for the next five years Applications - the reflection corner: Enabling every learner having access to reflections on a topic of interest, to share own reflections, and to get feedback on them. Reflection and perception:Reflective writing seems to be a tedious process. How can we make it more fun?The language of public reflections. Theory - the relation between awareness and reflection:What is worth to reflect on? There are many things we can be aware of, but which are worth to reflect on? Design: Design recipes, to foster reflection Methods: Evaluation of informal awareness and reflection systems. The role of feedback and skills: How important is the role of a mentor? How much guidance is needed? Vision building: Towards an aware and reflective learner.
8. Thomas Ullmann email@example.com http://twitter.com/ThomasUllmann