2. What is SCADA and History of SCADA. Definition Working Of SCADA and Various Applications. How important SCADA in Power Plant.
3. Supervisory Control AND DATA Acquisition
4. SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) is a type of industrial control system (ICS). Industrial control systems are computer- controlled systems that monitor and control industrial processes that exist in the physical world.
5. SCADA is a system which collect the data from the system A and control that system A. SCADA is used to monitor and control plant or equipments in Industries such as- a-Telecommunication b- Energy, Oil & Gas refining c-Transportation d-Water and Wastewater monitoring and control
6. SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) has been around as long as there have been control systems. The first SCADA systems utilized data acquisition by means of panels of meters, lights and strip chart recorders. The operator manually operating various control knobs exercised supervisory control. These devices were and still are used to do supervisory control and data acquisition on plants, factories and power generating facilities. The following figure shows a sensor to panel system.
7. The term SCADA usually refers to centralized systems which monitor and control entire sites, or complexes of systems spread out over large areas (anything from an industrial plant to a nation). Most control actions are performed automatically by RTUs or by PLCs. Host control functions are usually restricted to basic overriding or supervisory level intervention. For example, a PLC may control the flow of cooling water through part of an industrial process, but the SCADA system may allow operators to change the set points for the flow, and enable alarm conditions, such as loss of flow and high temperature, to be displayed and recorded.
8. SCADA refers to the combination of telemetry and data acquisition. SCADA encompasses the collecting of the information, transferring it back to the central site , carrying out any necessary analysis and control and then displaying that information on a number of operator screens or displays. The required control actions are then conveyed back to the process. In the early days of data acquisition, relay logic was used to control production and plant systems. With the advent of the CPU and other electronic devices, manufacturers incorporated digital electronics into relay logic equipment. The PLC or programmable logic controller is still one of the most widely used control systems in industry. As need to monitor and control more devices in the plant grew, the PLCs were distributed and the systems became more intelligent and smaller in size
9. Human Machine Interface(HMI)-a device which present data processed to operator who monitor and control. Supervisory System(Computer) which gather the data and send the Command Remote Terminal Units(RTU) connecting to the sensor and converting sensor signal to digital. PLC used as the field device which is economical, versatile and Fixed. Communication connection b/w RTU and Supervisory system(Computer).
10. DATA ACQUISITION DATA COMMUNICATION DATA PRESENTATION CONTROL
11. An automation increase the efficiency of Plant The plant increment efficiency reduce the cost. Easily programmed or reprogrammed Easy maintained (self diagnostic). Capability to do arithmetic function. The ability to communicate with other controller or a master host computer. PLCs. were able to move past simple on/off control to more complex schemes as PID control.
12. Industrial processes include those of manufacturing, production, power generation, fabrication, and refining, and may run in continuous, batch, repetitive, or discrete modes. Infrastructure processes may be public or private, and include water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment, oil and gas pipelines, electrical power transmission and distribution, wind farms, civil defense siren systems, and large communication systems. Facility processes occur both in public facilities and private ones, including buildings, airports, ships, and space stations. They monitor and control heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems (HVAC), access, and energy consumption.
13. SCADA plays an important role in industrial application. We can monitor the working process from a chamber and control the functioning of machines through the SCADA system. SCADA increase the efficiency and reduce the maintenance cost.
14. The hydro power plant maintenance is determined by the magnitude of damage in whole equipment, operating schedule, forecasting power demand and generating company energy production planning. The maintenance can be damage oriented , time oriented or condition oriented. Estimate the maintenance cost and impact on the production cost
15. An effectiveness maintenance depend on the quantity acquire data thats why SCADA in hydropower plant cascade somes and cris represent a real aspect for reduction of maintenance cost.
16. The new telemetric system expands the capabilities of the existing electrical, hydraulically and mechanical equipment by remote measurement and control and data acquisition facilities, and provides the integration of modern computing systems and electronic processing devices. The telemetric system is basically structured on four main levels:
17. Local level-Hydroelectric transducers , actuators connect to power generation, hydraulic, mechanical units. Process level-Power plant automation by RTU and PLCs. Process computer/workstation level- the data connection and communication by serially using RS485 .this provide the data(record , graph), to HMI.
18. Central dispatching unit level the informatics system implemented at the dispatching unit of the hydro power company headquarter, based on computing systems connected to all power plants by multiport interfaces, routers and data communication equipment that implement the specific cascade WAN.
19. The Hydro Power Plant SCADA System integrates the maintenance workstation installed in the hydro power plant operation room. When the trigger signal is detected by the process server, an alarm signal is sent to the operator. It communicates with the central dispatching maintenance workstation on dialup telephone line. The equipments used for the maintenance of data acquisition are: a disturbance recorder, electronic protection relays and PLCs RTUs from SCADA structure.
20. After the analysis of such a mechanism, we identified the following function to be fulfilled: Remote monitoring and supervision system compatibility with the Internet Compatibility with multiple communication platforms Modern access mechanisms to remote or local programming, for dynamic configurations Extended memory for database Easy adaptation to a protocol standard family, for future interfacing
21. Using the real time capabilities offered by the SCADA systems implemented in the hydro power plants, it is possible to improve the maintenance strategy, integrate and synchronize the information from disparate systems in a global interface to support the operators in different conditions. The database created by SCADA system and the knowledge based component created during the exploitation and overall equipment maintenance will offer the possibility to establish the future maintenance strategies
22. Wikipedia Handbook of SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) HAND BOOK of practical of SCADA. IEEE paper on SCADA System-Support in maintenance of hydropower plant.