2. OVER THE YEARS In 1872 the British ship Challenger, set sail for three- and- a- half years. The crew threw nets down into the ocean and discovered fourthousandnewspecies William Beebe and Otis Barton made a bathysphere or as we know it today, a submarine. In the past, submarines were made out of quartz and steel and they still are today Bathysphere
3. OVER THE YEARS (CONT) The ocean covers 70% of the Earth Scientists have only discovered 5% of the ocean out of 70% You might think thats not a lot, but there are a lot of places in the ocean that are too dangerous to explore or to deep down to travel to Scientists have found hydrothermal vents that use the chemicals in the hot water to make food for the animals that cant find any Hydrothermal vents
4. ANTARCTICA In the 2000s scientists discovered Yeti Crabs and Albino Octopuses Yeti Crabs have hairy chests and hairy arms Scientists described the moving crabs as bees because they are always busy They also have bacteria growing on their arms Yeti Crab
5. Ocean Zones The chart above is a picture of the different layers of the ocean. Many different animals lived in these zones. The next few slides will describe the different zones and the animals that live there.
6. The Epipelagic Zone- Algae The Epipelagic Zone is where most of the plants and animals of the ocean live It is nicknamed the Sunlight Zone because it is where most visible light exists Algae is a plant that is found in the Epipelagic Zone It provides oxygen for other marine animals Algae grows by the process of photosynthesis Photosynthesisa process used by plants and other organisms to covert light energy, normally from the sun, into chemical energy that can be later released to fuel the organisms activities Ocean Algae
7. Mesopelagic Zone- Comb Jellies In the Mesopelagic Zone, fish use bioluminescence to see in the dark waters Bioluminescenceis the production of light by a living organism One animal that lives in the Mesopelagic Zone is the Comb Jelly It is not related to the jellyfish at all The Comb Jellies have lived in the ocean for about 5 million years It has long trailing tentacles and will almost eat anything it runs into Comb Jelly
8. Bathypelagic Zone- Angler Fish Male Female Angler Fishes
9. Abyssal Zone- Giant Squid Sunlight doesnt reach the Abyssal Zone The animals in this zone usually are invertebrates Invertebrates- animals without a backbone The Giant Squid lives in this layer of the ocean It moves by jet propulsion which consists of collecting the ocean water and shooting it out Giant Squid
10. Hadal Zone- Sea Cucumber & Sea Spider Nicknamed the Trench Zone because the deepest trenches are in this zone It is dark and cold Animals in this zone have adapted to the darkness by reducing their use of eyesight The Sea Cucumber eats floating food like algae They break down their food into tiny pieces which then becomes food for bacteria The Sea Spider is related to horseshoe crabs, scorpions, and mites They eat jelly fish and other soft body animals by ripping them to bits
11. Sea Cucumber and Sea Spider Sea Cucumber Sea Spider
12. Thanks For Watching My Genius Hour Presentation Have A Great Day!