Presentation given for a course assignment. Discusses PLEs and how educators should be aware of them and tap into them.
- 1. Personal Learning Environments so what can social networks do for you? Dave Melone EPSY556: Analysis of Advanced Instructional Technologies November 18, 2008
2. this isnt about technology, mostly
- PLE (Personal Learning Environments) is a verb, not a noun. PLE is something you do, not something you have. Its an action, not a thing. Its a way of interacting with others, not a way of getting personalized learning. You cant go out and set up your PLE. You are part of your PLE. You have it already. You cant seek to personalize your learning - if your learning isnt already personalized, youre not learning.-DArcy Norman
As teachers, its our business to not only teach, but also be constantly learning. http://flickr.com/photos/aarrgh/2110535889/ 3. so if we are still learning, then?
- New technologies are not necessarily replacing existing approaches; instead, they are enlarging the range of options for learners. Were not doing away with email. Or even learning management systems. Were adding blogs, wikis, social networking, virtual worlds, and numerous other technologies to current practices. And thats exactly how it should be.-George Siemens
Only the technology is new, old ideals and traditions are finding new ways to be expressed. http://flickr.com/photos/laffy4k/404321726/ 4. look around
- who do you work with everyday?
PLEs are essentially people-to-people, whether it is between a student or boss, whether they sit in front of you are are posting to the internet from the other side of the world the connection can be a handshake or a blog comment, the point is that there IS a connection. http://flickr.com/photos/krikit/2801572237/ 5. knock knock
- Professional conferences?
- Do they have blogs, profiles?
- Keep those business cards
- If you only have a name, search for them online.
6. make it work
- search for your own interests: professionalandpersonal
- avoid becoming a lurker/wallflower
WikEd Artifact:http://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/index.php/Social_Networking_Technology_in_Education Did you create something?Post the URL everywhere and invite comments/criticisms/questions.Ask some of your own. } 7. post and tag
- anything: pictures, blog entries, bookmarks
- repost, trackback, remix, andtag
- O penE ducationR esources:http://www.oercommons.org/
http://flickr.com/photos/agit-prop/2529683679/ 8. enmesh yourself
Use feedreaders to distill the information you want or need. Browse smart using browser plugins and social bookmarking services to browse people-generated links.NetVibes ,Delicious ,Flock photographer? Flickr amateur bird-watching enthusiast? Wiki bookmarking fiend? delicious powerpoint jockey? slideshare, Ustream a writer? blog curious and have a question comment! It is our responsibility to tag, categorize, and build the new taxonomy of learning.The new Dewey decimal system is grassroots, 2.0, and becoming a mess! Are you a 9. rinse and repeat PLEs are less about what you use, than how you use it.So far, the onlyrealrequirement of a PLE is that you participate and grow it so that others can too. The CTER program has been all about building our PLEs all along, keeping them together and enhancing our own learning and extending it to others. http://flickr.com/photos/14635084@N06/3036888669/ 10. cited
- Norman, D. (2008) . defining ple,DArcy Norman Dot Net., Retrieved October 29, 2008 fromhttp://www.darcynorman.net/2008/10/29/defining-ple/
- Melone, D. (2008) Social Networking Technology in Education. WikEd., Retrieved November 17, 2008 fromhttp://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/index.php/Social_Networking_Technology_in_Education . Wiki entry.
- Siemens, G. (2008).Social Networks, the Next Educational Tool?,elearnspace.RetrievedOctober 31, 2008 fromhttp://www.elearnspace.org/blog/2008/03/05/ple-nominalism/
- PLE Workshop: edtechpost. (2008). Retrieved November 12, 2008 fromhttp://edtechpost.wikispaces.com/PLE+workshop
- Wilson, S., et al. (2008).PLE as conceptual intervention , the personal learning environments blog. Retrieved November 17, 2008 fromhttp://zope.cetis.ac.uk/members/ple
- Thanks to Flickr users:laffy4k ,aarrgh ,krikit ,agit-prop ,and my own:cleo5678
- Web graph ofhttp://wwwithaq.netgenerated at Websites as Graphs:http://www.aharef.info/static/htmlgraph/