1. (RED) CAMPAIGN YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT FOR (RED)
2. PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED) The Vision: Partner with one of the largest sports sites in the world YAHOO! SPORTS to create a campaign that would coincide with the launch of the World Cup 2010, one of the largest global sporting events. Our objective was to drive mass amounts of awareness to (RED) as well as money to the Global Fund to help fight AIDS in Africa, while addressing a Yahoo! business objective.
We worked to create a campaign that tapped into (RED)s global appeal of a compelling purpose and message that can galvanize hundreds of thousands to act, and Yahoo!s global audience and reach among passionate football fans around the world.
Generate hundreds of millions of impressions on the launch of the World Cup for (RED) with NO marketing/media spend
Create a donation mechanism to drive money to the Global Fund
The Challenge: Generate $100,000 USD for The Global Fund For every goal scored on June 11, 2010, Yahoo! would donate $1 up to $100,000
3. PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED): ACTIVATION On June 11 th 2010, the first day of the World Cup, Yahoo! turned their Penalty Shootout Game (RED). Campaign ran in 15 countries and in 8 languages.
4. Yahoo! promoted the campaign extensively and globally to through their site, their advertising network and social network communities PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED): ACTIVATION
Yahoo! promoted the campaign with over 200 million ad impressions globally through their site and ad network
Messaged to over 600,000 Twitter and Facebook Fans
Yahoo! on Facebook, Yahoo! World Football on Facebook 150K fans
32 National Team Fan Pages (Citizen Sports) 150K fans
Yahoo! on Twitter, Yahoo! Sports on Twitter, Yahoo! TV, various EU Yahoo! Twitter accounts 300K followers
Yahoo! Press Alert picked up by over 30 outlets & conducted blogger outreach helping garner approximately 50+ press and blogger mentions
Promoted via World Cup Marketing Emails in numerous global markets
Guerilla Goalkeeper events promoted (RED) with messaging on event handouts and (NIKE) RED laces worn by all goalkeepers
(RED) secured Ethan Zohn to write a blog for Yahoo! site which was featured and promoted heavily
PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED): YAHOO! ACTIVATION
6. PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED): YAHOO! ACTIVATION
7. (RED) mobilized its community & site, its partner brands and its PR relationships to secure extensive coverage and engage people to play the game which was critical to the campaigns success.
Secured PR coverage in key publications including Mashable & Huffington Post
Secured Ethan Zohn to blog about the campaign on Yahoo! Anecdotal, which he then promoted via his social networks
Continuously promoted the campaign to (RED)s 2m+ digital audience via Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Email, joinred.com website
(RED) brand partners including Nike, Starbucks and Converse promoted the campaign to their social networks reaching over 12 million people
(RED) CEO, Susan Smith Ellis, promoted the campaign at the Fast Company conference
PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED): (RED) ACTIVATION
8. Posted story and sent out tweet to their 2million+ followers PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED): (RED) ACTIVATION : MASHABLE
9. Huffington Post: Secured Front Page of Impact Section PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED): (RED) ACTIVATION: HUFFINGTON POST
10. PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED): (RED) ACTIVATION ETHAN ZOHN FOR Y! ANCEDOTAL
11. (RED) also tapped into partner communities to drive traffic to Yahoo! Penalty Shootout
Reaching more than 12 Million people (RED) partners including Nike, Starbucks, Converse, Penguin Classics and Bugaboo encouraged participation
(RED) Proud Partners PLAY YAHOO! PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME FOR (RED): (RED) ACTIVATION
12. SUCCESS Together, (RED), (RED) Partners, Friends, and Yahoo! reached their goal in just 4.5 hours at times filling the stadium to capacity!
13. WORLD CUP PENALTY SHOOTOUT GAME - YAHOO Success In just 4.5 hours people around the world scored 100,000 goals and raised $100,000 to help fight AIDS in Africa
Yahoo! doubled game plays on the day of the (RED) activity compared to the day before
June 11, 2010 was the 2nd highest day of most games played
Global campaign covering 15 markets and 8 languages
we can look to an organization like (RED) , as an important example for where global capitalism is going. (RED) integrates the power of big business, new customer priorities, and the interconnected agents of social change, in the form of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. The animating mission of (RED) is to harness two of the most potent forces operating today, business and consumer spending, in service of eradicating deadly disease.
Nancy F. Koehn,
James E. Robison Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School, May 2010