Chapter 18: Limbic System. Abdullah Tawakul Neurology AHD March 2ed ,2011. PAUL BROCA (1824-1880). Anatomical and Clinical Review. Limbic functions can be divided into. Anatomical and Clinical Review. Limbic cortex. Limbic structures. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
CHAPTER 18: LIMBIC SYSTEMAbdullah Tawakul
March 2ed ,2011
PAUL BROCA (1824-1880)
Anatomical and Clinical Review• Limbic functions can be divided into..
Anatomical and Clinical Review• Limbic cortex..
• This myelinated structure projects between the hippocampus and mammillary body?
• What are the C-shaped structure that follow the curve of the lateral ventricles ?
The fornixThe Cudate nucleusCorpus callosum
• This radical surgical procedure has been used to control violent, antisocial behavior?
• Amygdala composed of three main nuclei ?
• What are the diencephalic structure involved in limbic system?
HypothalamusThalamus : MD and Anterior neuclus Habenula
• The brain stem nuclei that are involved in limbic system?Interpeduncularsuperior central dorsal and ventral tegmentalparabrachialperiaqueductal grayreticular formation nucleus solitarius dorsal motor nucleus of vagus
• Olfactory pathway ..?
• Name three Intracerebral vascular lesions which could lead to memory deficits?
Rupture of A-com aneurysm ( basal forebrain, medial
diencephalon, and frontal lobes)
Top of the basilar artery lesions (Bilateral medial temporal or medial diencephalic supplied by PCA)
Artery of Percheron lesion .. single paramedian thalamoperforator artery (Bilateral medial thalami)
• What are the three components of the hippocampal formation ?
Dentate gyrusThe subiculumThe hippocampus
• This cortex is unique among sensory systems that it receive direct input from secondary neurons without an intervening thalamic relay?
The primary olfactory cortex.
• Which region of the parahippocampal gyrus serves as the most important relay between the hippocampal formation and association cortices?
• A) Piriform and periamygdaloid cortex• B) Entorhinal cortex• C) Parahippocampal cortex• D) Perirhinal cortex• E) Orbital frontal cortex
List the synapses of the perforant and the alvear pathways?