2. Future Executives Danish Iqbal Bilal Rasool Chaudhary Hassan Rehman Chaudhary Muhammad Naeem Ghauri Layon Ivan Patrick Lobo 6338 6728 6215 6480 6078 Group Leader
3. Content Why is it important to know about organization culture? What is organizational culture? Kinds of organizational culture. Different role of Managers in different organizational cultures. How Cultures effect Managers? What is Organizational environment? How Environments influence managers? Case Study
4. Quotation The conventional definition of management is getting work done through people, but real management is developing people through work Agha Hasan Abedi Founder Bank of Credit and Commerce International Luxembourg
5. Danish Iqbal 6338
6. Why is it Important to know about organization culture? Vision and Mission are the benchmark for any organizations culture. To learn how different tasks are performed in an organization. Customs Traditions Ways of working www- movieclip. wmv
7. Organizational Culture The cognitive framework of Attitudes Values Behavioral norms Expectations Key is that they are shared by organizational members
8. Aspects of Organization Culture Achievement Self actualizing Humanistic Approval Conventional Avoidance Power Competitive Oppositional
9. Organizational Culture Provides A sense of identity for group members Commitment to the mission of the organization Clarifies and reinforces standards of behavior Culture usually takes 5-10 years to develop
10. How is organizational culture transmitted? Symbols (buildings, lobby, decorations, etc.) Stories that get passed on Ceremonies (holiday parties, awards) Statements of principles Policies Reward structure
11. How do they create this culture? Values = people, play and profit They have a playroom as a corner office Physical environment Polaroid pictures and graffiti on the walls Drumming to announce meetings Use magazines to generate ideas Bring toys to work
12. Is organizational culture important..? Research shows there is not one best culture, but it is important to have a strong culture A culture that supports affiliation among coworkers, flexibility, and encourages supervisor support has been linked to positive outcomes Important to have a fit between the person and the org culture (increases satisfaction and commitment)
13. What does organization culture..? Helps to distinguish an org from other orgs and its general environment by providing it with an external identity Sense of commitment to social entity greater than ones self interest Is a source of high reliability in organizations Provides members with interpretive scheme or way to make sense of positions and activities Culture is a social control mechanism
14. Bilal Rasool Chaudhary 6728
15. Quotation There is less to fear from outside ompetition than from inside inefficiency, discourtesy and bad service Anonymous
16. What is organizational culture.? Shared values, principles, traditions & ways of doing things that influence the way organizational members act. Stephen P.Robbins & Mary Coulter
17. Definition Continued. Henry Mintzberg Culture is the soul of the organization- the beliefs and values , and how they are manifested. I think of the structure as the skeleton, and as the flesh and blood. And culture is the soul that holds the thing together and gives it life force.
18. The Organization's Culture Culture is perception Individuals perceive the organizational culture on the basis of what they see, hear or experience within org. Culture is shared People with different social, organizational & educational background, they describe organizational culture in similar terms. Culture is descriptive How members perceive the Organization. Not with whether they Like it.
19. Strong Versus Weak Cultures Strong Cultures Factors Influencing the Strength of Culture Are cultures in which key values are deeply held and widely held. Have a strong influence on organizational members. Size of the organization Age of the organization Rate of the employee turnover Strength of cultural values and beliefs Benefit of a strong culture Creates a stronger employee commitment to the organization. Aids in the recruitment and socialization of new employees. Fosters higher organizational performance by instilling and promoting employee initiative.
20. Strong versus Weak Organizational Cultures
21. Hassan Rehman Chaudhary 6215
22. Quotation Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success Henry Ford
23. The Managers Role Omnipotent View of Management Managers are directly responsible for an organizations success of failure The quality of the organization is determined by the quality of its Managers. Managers are held most accountable for an organizations performance directly due to their influence on the organization.
24. Managers Role Continued Symbolic View Of Management Managers are not directly responsible for an organizations success or failure. Organizational success or failure is due to external forces outside the managers control (e.g. Natural Disasters, Earthquake etc) The symbolic view is based on the belief that managers symbolize control and influence business. Managers play a minimal part in success or failure of any organization.
30. Quotation There is a simple rule about the environment. If there is waste or pollution, someone along the line pays for it Lee Scott, Chief Executive, Wal-Mart
31. Dimensions Of Organizational Culture
32. Sources Of Organizational Culture The organizations founder Past practices of the organization Vision and mission The way things have been done The behavior of top management Continuation of the Organizational Culture Recruitment of like-minded employees who fit Socialization of new employees to help them adapt to the culture
33. How an Organizations Culture is Established and Maintained
34. How Employees Learn Culture? Stories Narratives of significant events or actions of people that convey the spirit of the organization Material Symbols Physical assets distinguishing the organization Language Acronyms and jargon of terms, phrases and word meanings specific to an organization
35. How Culture Affects Managers? Cultural Constraints on Managers Whatever managerial actions the organization recognizes as proper or improper on its behalf Whatever organizational activities