Green ops 15 ways
Embed Size (px)
Text of Green ops 15 ways
- 1.Green Your Operations Fifteen Ways
2. Whats this all about?
- We cant all build fancy new green buildings
- But we can be sustainable in our operations!
- Probably are doing some already
- But you can do something!
3. 1: Conduct a waste stream audit
- What are we throwing out?
- Where can it go besides the landfill?
- How can we generate less to start with?
4. 2: Use less paper
- Double sided prints/copies
- Digital document delivery
- E-versions of employee manuals & docs
- Route one copyor no copies!
- Get multiple catalog mailings reduced to a single copy
5. 3: Recycled and reused materials
- 30% recycled works as well as new paper
- Reused or reclaimed materials
- Dont forget to offer your own stufffor others to reuse!
6. 4: Green your break room
- Get rid of disposable dishes, cups, flatware
- Serve fruit, not packaged snacks
7. 5: Greener weeding
- Send your discardsto be reused
8. 6: Energy Efficient Lighting
- Replace older T12 fluorescent lamps with T8 lamps
- And magnetic ballasts with high-efficiency ones
- 35 - 43% energy reduction at similar light levels
- Convert exit signs to LEDs
- 90 - 92% energy reduction
9. 6: Energy Efficient Lighting
- Open the blinds to let in daylight
- Reduce overall light levels, supplement at task planes
- Dust the ceilings a bright ceiling reflects more light
10. 7: Give your HVAC some TLC
- Proactive HVAC maintenance
- Reduce your buildings total energy use by up to 8%
- Improve indoor air quality
- Contractors for major repairs and overhauls
- In-house maintenance on an ongoing, regular basis
11. 8: Turn it off
- Use natural daylighting when possible
- Occupancy sensors for less-used spaces
- Set screens to go blank (not to a screensaver)
- Unplug chargers andconverters when not inuse
12. 9. Drive it into the ground
- Purchase high-quality equipment
- Maintain your equipment, furniture, vehicles, etc.
- Defer new purchases by extending lifetimes
- Make sure it will meet user demands though
13. 10. Alternative transportation
- Preferential parking for fuel-efficient vehicles, carpools
- Encourage employees to carpool, bike, take public transit
- Subsidize/offer incentives
- Showering/changing facilities for staff?
14. 11. Dont forget telecommuting!
- What workflows dont requireactual in-house presence?
- Draw up telework policies,employee agreements
- Need infrastructure in place
- Equipment: employees or librarys?
- Connectivity at home (subsidized?)
- Secure file access, e-meeting software, etc.
15. 12. Clean greener
- Coordinate with yourjanitorial contractor
16. 13. Greener ILL
- Scan and send electronically when possible
- Participate in local/regional consortia
- Nearby sources are better than remote
- Local couriers supplying reusable shipping bags/bins
- New packaging accounts for >50% of environmental impact
- Padded bags are better than cardboard
17. 14. Greener IT
- EPEAT system for equipment selection
- Reduction/elimination of environmentally sensitive materials
18. 15. Tell your patrons!
- Develop an eco-collection
- Promote the library as agreen institution
- Offer green themed programs and events
- Bring in local activists and experts
- Turn your landscape into an interpretive center
19. The 3 Rs?
20. The 6 Rs!
21. Thank You for Attending!
- Email: email@example.com