A look at where we are currently with learning environments and what is likely to happen over the next few years.
Text of Future Learning Environments
1. Future learning environments and what they tell us Martin Weller
What are VLEs like now?
How did we get here?
What are future VLEs like?
What does it mean for us?
3. Current state of play
OECD/OBHE 2004 survey in 13 countries
All had VLE
37% have institution-wide VLE
90% expect to have single VLE in next 5 years
52% use commercial system
Rest use combination of in-house and open source
No institution had just OS
31% had portal
6.6% had CMS
4. Democrats vs revolutionaries staff development academic staff innovation tradition critical mass cottage industry mainstream Robustness Reliability Ease of use Flexibility Excitement Technological flair Rigour Usabilty New tools New approaches 5. Whats wrong with VLEs
They are content focused
They have no strong pedagogy
They are based around a teacher-classroom model
They combine a number of average tools, but not the best ones
They do not feature a particular tool
They operate on a lowest common denominator approach
They do not meet the needs of different subject areas
It is difficult to exchange content between them, despite claims to interoperability
6. Why have VLEs been adopted?
Becausethey do not require big changes in practice
A content management system requires:
Most content is available digitally
Content is in appropriately sized chunks
Reuse of material is encouraged
E-learning plays a significant role in the overall educational strategy
7. Plant succession 8. Technology succession technological environments are not merely passive containers of people but are active processes that reshape people and other technologies alike (McLuhan 1962) 9. Future LE why?
A proxy for social and technological change
Reflect changes in HE
New models of learning
10. Students inhabit the online world 11. Possible dimensions Future LE Open content iTunesU Openlearn Slideshare Social Network Facebook LastFM 43Things PLE Stringle Blog Pageflakes Learning design LAMS Compendium Virtual worlds SecondLife World of Warcraft Virtual Presence Gabbly Medium User generated content Wikiversity YouTube Flickr Devices Mobile tech MS Surface Nintendo Wii 12. What does it mean?
Not educational tools
We need to go out to them
Mixing and mashing
Usability is high
After centralisation decentralisation!
Content isnt everything but its not nothing
They dont come to us for content anymore need to add more