Business-centric Storage ETERNUS CS8000 Unified Data Protection Appliance
Text of Business-centric Storage ETERNUS CS8000 Unified Data Protection Appliance
1. Business-centric Storage ETERNUS CS8000 Unified Data Protection Appliance
2. Hot spots in data protection Data protection challenges Enterprise data is one of the most valuable assets in any company. Some examples of data requiring backup are databases, customer information or logistics data. Todays IT managers are confronted with enormous data growth. About 75 percent of the data in any company is backup data. This underlines the importance of the backup environment when searching for ways to optimize IT costs. As data volumes continue to grow at a breathtaking pace, backup windows quickly reach their limits and can become serious storage bottlenecks. Thats why a very important aspect of any backup infrastructure is optimal utilization of the underlying resources. The growing importance of data in business processes requires higher protection levels that include things like disaster recovery solutions. And secure long-term storage is demanded for some types of data, especially when it comes to compliance regulations. The problem for storage administrators is to maintain service levels, for example, for data availability, disaster recovery, compliance and long-term storage while keeping costs down. Business cost pressure means that IT managers are constantly coping with shrinking IT budgets. They are required to do more than ever before, but with fewer resources. IT infrastructure and administration budgets are always under scrutiny. Sooner or later the IT department will face technological challenges which must be addressed in order to fulfill requirements in providing sufficient data protection, especially when budgets are limited. 2 Technology challenges Generally speaking, IT departments are usually cost centers rather than profit centers in most business enterprises. Data backup and archiving are defined by a companys business needs, regardless of balance sheet totals. Different kinds of backup and archiving target systems, like tape libraries, virtual tape libraries (VTL) and deduplication appliances, can be deployed in data protection environments. Each of them comes with individual strengths and weaknesses but they are still effective tools for safeguarding data. Quite often various target systems are used simultaneously, but this has a number of disadvantages: imited capacity and performance scalability in many appliances L is a critical issue. ultiple storage systems are deployed, resulting in diverse isolated M solutions. anagement of the entire environment becomes extremely inM flexible and requires manual intervention, not to mention the skyrocketing costs of maintenance. And the larger the IT department, the more complex the data protection environment. This complexity poses three significant challenges to effective data protection namely rapid data growth, cost pressure and SLA management. Enterprises need to cope with backup windows, and running backups is necessary in order to be in a position to recover data. No more, no less. The key is how to make this more efficient in a businesscentric way.
3. Unified Data Protection The concept that differs from others Business-centric Storage Business-centric means allocating storage resources for data protection according to business priorities: To fulfill the right levels in terms of speed, capacity and data availability, and at the same time to minimize investments and the total cost of ownership. Successful and proven platform The Fujitsu appliance is used around the world by the largest data centers in data-intensive segments such as financial services, insurance, telecommunications, public administration, industry and IT service provisioning. The elements for the most efficient data protection solution are: Your preferred backup and archive software Fujitsu Storage ETERNUS CS8000 Series ETERNUS CS8000 is a platform designed on the basis of real-world best practices. Its ongoing development has continued for many years in collaboration with a well-established user group. That translates into optimal support and keen awareness of the demands arising from daily system use. Fujitsu Storage ETERNUS CS8000 Series The ETERNUS CS8000 unified data protection appliance provides a most economical way to overcome the challenges in complex backup and archiving environments. Unlike other data protection appliances, ETERNUS CS8000 does much more than just provide storage capacity. It consolidates the backup and archiving infrastructures of open systems and mainframes. Thanks to the uniform management of disks, deduplicated disks and tapes, flexible service levels governing capacity, speed and cost are possible. And support of a cloud gateway functionality makes ETERNUS CS8000 an ideal and future-proof solution for a unified and optimized data protection infrastructure. ETERNUS CS8000 virtualizes target systems and creates one logical data protection platform. In so doing it provides more flexibility and higher service levels at lower cost. he ETERNUS CS concept completely convinced T us. In particular, the high level of scalability and openness for all systems at both the frontend and backend represent major advantages. Oliver Heuser, Platform Manager for Database and Storage, Postbank Systems AG dont know of any other solution that could proI vide total backup and restore functionality for both our mainframe and open system worlds. Bernd Bohne, Department Head Central Systems Technology, Sparda-Datenverarbeitung eG Open systems Mainframes Backup/Archive Backup/Archive ETERNUS CS8000 Unified Data Protection Platform Target System Virtualization Dedup (VTL Disk) (NAS Disk) (Dedup) (Tape) (Cloud) 3
4. One solution for backup and archiving Huge consolidation potential Connectivity ETERNUS CS8000 is the solution for consolidating complex and heterogeneous data protection environments on a large scale. To provide full consolidation, ETERNUS CS8000 can connect to all well-known platforms, including open systems and mainframes. All physical and virtual server environments can use the same backup and archiving infrastructure. Second-tier file storage By moving old or non-critical data from production storage to secondtier file storage, administrators can increase the usable storage capacity on the systems which run their mission-critical data. The reduction of data volume stored in productive environments results in faster backup and recovery. The data stored in second-tier file storage can then be managed with more ease at a different data protection service level. Backup From the backup software perspective, the ETERNUS CS8000 appliance appears as a virtual tape library. The unified data protection platform provides intelligent management of the media mix known as automated Information Lifecycle Management (ILM). It combines the strengths of disk and tape with rule-based management, providing seamless and automated backup-to-disk-to-tape (B2D2T) processes. To benefit from this data offloading to second-tier storage targets, care must be taken not to underestimate the infrastructure complexity that can result from bringing additional storage islands into the IT infrastructure. Thus, in addition to serving as a backup target, ETERNUS CS8000 provides optional standardized NAS interfaces with NFS and CIFS protocols. The result is a scale-out NAS system which can act as a second-tier storage target supporting billions of files. ETERNUS CS8000 is also the only solution on the market which supports complete parallel operation of B2D2T, as well as backup to deduplicated disks, with the same appliance. Data can be easily stored on the appropriate media to fulfill the required service level. Archiving and long-term storage Thanks to the optional NAS interfaces, ETERNUS CS8000 can be also be used as an archive and long-term storage system. The support of billions of files results in an enormous storage pool. Advantages: onsolidation with ETERNUS CS8000 delivers tremendous cost C savings in complex environments. ighter workloads for IT administrators. L etter infrastructure utilization means lower costs. B Furthermore, direct integration with tape enhances the unified data protection appliance for Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) to automatically save data to disk and tape, according to defined migration policies and retention periods. Advantages: rchiving and second-tier file storage frees up resources in the A production environment and in the backup infrastructure. ackup and recovery are much easier. B SM leverages the advantages of tape, which is the most reliable H and cost-effective media for long-term storage. 4
5. he ETERNUS CS data protection appliance from T Fujitsu gives us investment protection in terms of data backup scalability, plus freedom of choice when it comes to deploying server platforms such as mainframe and Linux systems. By consolidating our infrastructure, we can vary workloads and capacities as needed. Urs Haeringer, Director of Technology Management, Helsana Insurance AG Enable legally compliant archiving ETERNUS CS8000 is a platform which allows for legally compliant archiving. It ensures that the files are stored in a secure way, making them revision-proof for a defined retention period to fulfill specific requirements like compliance r