Embed Size (px)
Text of Iditarod Facts
2. What is the Iditarod?
- The Iditarod is a race held in Alaska.
- They started the Iditarod because of the diphtheria epidemic.
- It is a race when the dogs pull a sled with a musher in the back of the sled.
- The Iditarod is a race for the diphtheria epidemic.
- Doug Swingley won the Iditarod.
- The Iditarod trail is from Anchorage to Nome.
- Some of the racers in the Iditarod live to race in the Iditarod.
- Some of the racers get scratched out of the race.
- That means that you cant go on with the race any more.
Facts About The Iditarod 4.
- If some one is 50feet away from you have to stop for a minute and let them pass you.
- When you win the Iditarod is not over.
- If you borrow some supplies you have to return them or else you have to pay $500.00 for each item.
- You have to have at least 12 dogs.
- You can not have over 16 dogs.
The Rules Of The Race 5.
- Diphtheria is a disease that is incurable unless you have the exact medicine.
- Now when you are a baby you get certain shots that help your body fight off those diseases.
- Diphtheria is a disease that covers your wind pipe and stops you from breathing.
So What Is Diphtheria? 6.
- Sleds are what the mushers ride in on the trail.
- The sleds hold all the supplies that the mushers haveto have on the trail.
- The sled that Balto pulled had the medicine that they had to bring back with them.
- The sleds are very important to the mushers.
So What Are Sleds? 7.
- They use all sorts of equipment on the trail.
- sleeping bags to sleep in
- and they use a bib so people know who they are
The Equipment That They Use 8. What are booties?
- Booties are little boot type shoes for the dogs so they dont get ice or snow in between the spaces in their paws.
- Booties are made of cloth.
- The musher has to have at least 8 booties for every dog pulling the sled.
9. What Is A Musher?
- A musher is a person who leads the dog sled.
- The musher tells the dogs what to do.
- He yells out certain words so the dogs know which way to turn or when to stop.
10. A Picture Of The Dogs And The Musher 11. Alaska
- Alaska is the state the Iditarod begins.
- Alaska is the state that the diphtheria epidemic spread.
- Alaska is a part of the United States.
- Alaska is not attached to the United States.
12. The Iditarod Map 13. The names of mushers
14. The names of mushers 2
15. The names of mushers 3
16. The names of mushers 4
- Doug Swingley is the winner of the Iditarod.
- He only had 11 dogs when he crossed the finish line!!!
- He finished in the time of:9 days, 55 hours, 50 minutes, and 15 seconds.
Doug Swingley 18.
- Andy Moderow is an Iditarod racer.
- He won the jr. Iditarod 5 times in a row!!!
Andy Moderow 19.
- Rick Swenson had 11 dogs when he crossed the finish line.
- But he is in 4 thplace right now.
- Caroline and I like Rick Swenson.
Rick Swenson 20.
- Dee Dee Jonrowe was born into a military family.
- Her dad went into the army when she was only 5 months old.
- She finished the Iditarod in 10 thplace.
Dee Dee Jonrowe 21.
- Chuck King was scratched at Skwentna.
- His hobbies are music, medicine, and the outdoors.
Chuck King 22.
- Peryll Kyzer has been running dogs since 1980.
- She is a goat farmer when the Iditarod isnt running.
- She finished the Iditarod in 50 thplace.
Peryll Kyzer 23. Pictures Of Some Other Racers Linwood Fielder Jeff King Paul Gebhardt John Baker Sonny King Ramey Smyth 24.
- Balto was one of the dogs who pulled the sled for the diphtheria epidemic.
- Balto has a statue of him with his musher in Central Park, New York.
- Balto is always going to be a hero dog.
- The red lantern is what the last person who crosses the finish line gets because they are glad that they didnt give up.
- The red lantern has been hung up every year because of the diphtheria epidemic.
- The red lantern is to tell the last person where to cross.
- The red lantern is a guiding light.
The Red Lantern 26. Pictures Of The Race 27. Our Painting Of Doug Swingley 28. The End By:Michael And Caroline