2. ABOUT THE NOBEL PRIZE It was the will of the Swedish inventor Alfred Nobel established the prizes in 1895. The prizes in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Peace were first awarded in 1901. With some receiving the Nobel Prize more than once, this makes a total of 835 individuals and 21 organizations. Individual recipients have been overwhelmingly male the award has been given to a woman on 45 occasions.
3. WHERE IS IT HELD The Peace Prize is awarded in Oslo, Norway, while the other prizes are awarded in Stockholm, Sweden. The Nobel Prize is widely regarded as the most prestigious award available in the fields of literature, medicine, physics, chemistry, peace, and economics. in an annual ceremony on December 10, the anniversary of Nobel's death.
4. FIRST LAUREATES As dictated by Nobel's will, the award is administered by the Norwegian Nobel Committee and awarded by a committee of five people elected by the Parliament of Norway. The first Nobel Peace Prize was awarded in 1901 to Frdric Passy and Henry Dunant.
5. REWARDS INCLUDED Each recipient receives a medal, a diploma, and a monetary award prize that has varied throughout the years. In 1901, Passy and Dunant shared a Prize of 150,782 Swedish kronor, (equal to SR 86,264)and in 2008 it was equal to 10,000,000 kronor in 2008 (equal to SR. 5,721,107).
6. INDIANS WHO WON 1. Ronald Ross 6. Amartya Sen 2. Rudyard Kipling 7. Hargobind Khorana 3. Rabindranath Tagore 8. Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar 4. C.V. Raman 9. Rajendra Kumar Pachauri 5. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan
7. AKIRA SUZUKI Akira Suzuki born September 12, 1930 is a Japanese chemist and Nobel Prize Laureate for chemistry(2010), who first published the Suzuki reaction, in 1979. From 1963 until 1965, Suzuki worked as a postdoctoral student with Herbert Charles Brown at Purdue University and after returning to the University of Hokkaid he became a full professor there.
8. VISIT AT DUNES Other notable awards he has won include Person of Cultural Merit And The Order of Culture. If you haven't recalled yet he had visited our school in the year 2011 for the Investiture Ceremony.