- 1.INTERWRITE PERSONAL RESPONSE SYSTEM A USER GUIDE FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PRS!
2. HOW TO SET UP YOUR PRS
- First, you must install the software.There is a CD that is located in the carrying case with the clickers.Put the CD in the CD-ROM drive and follow the instructions to install the software.
3. YOU WILL CLICK ON THE INTERWRITE SYMBOL IN THE ICONS BROUGHT UP BY THE CD-ROM. 4.
- The Installation Wizard will start installing the software.Just click next until you get to finish.
1 2 5.
- Dont forget to agree with the license agreement!
- After 60 bazillion next buttons, youll finally click install.Hooray!
1 2 6.
- just click on the Finish button!
- Now your software is installed!!
7. SETTING UP THE RF RECEIVER
- The RF receiver is what picks up the frequency and allows the clickers to talk to the computer.
- It looks like a flash drive.
8. SO WHAT DO I DO WITH IT?
- You do exactly what you would do with a flash drive.So put it into the USB port on the front of the computer.
- DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT,use the port on the back ofthe computer.I discoveredthat it will not work there!
9. NOW COMES THE EASY PART!!!
- Once you put the RF receiver into the USB port, you should receive a message that new hardware has been found.you should click yes, this time only and then click next.Keep clicking next until it is done, then click finish.
- Voil!Thats it for the RF receiver!
10. SO NOW WHAT????
- Now youre ready to go into Interwrite and configure the clickers.This is a fairly tedious process, but it only has to be done one time, so dont fret!
- The easiest way to do this is to go ahead and get the clickers out and on a table within hands reach.You can also go ahead and turn them all on.
- You will go to the Start menu and open Interwrite.It will open up a bar on your desktop.
- Scroll to the bottom and open Interwrite by clicking on the I at the bottom. Then click on Start Interwrite PRS.
- If you are asked to Start a Class, click on cancel.
- Up at the top of the screen, you will see words that you can click on.Choose RF and then select Configure clickers.
13. CONFIGURING THE CLICKERS
- You will need to configure the clickers so that they are LOANER and the class will be OPEN.This allows different students to use the same clicker since they will put in their ID number.Also, open means that you can use the same clickers with multiple classes.
- This is how that is done:
14. CONFIGURING THE CLICKERS
- Choose LOANER as the clicker type and then click Setup.
- It will tell you to Turn on all clickers and join: Loaner .There will be a real number where the # is in the brackets.
- Turn on all the clickers.
- The clickers will say Scanning Classes.You will type in the number or letter that was in the brackets in step 6.
15. CONFIGURING THE CLICKERS
- After you type that in, press enter.(the green button with a black arrow)
- You should receive a message on the software when each clicker is configured.
- Continue until they are all configured and then turn them off.
- HOORAY!!!YOU ARE READY TO USE THEM!!!
16. CREATING CLASSESAND LESSONS
- Some PRS vocabulary that you need to know:
- CLASSES - These are the kids on the roster.
- LESSONS - These are the questions you will create.You might use the same lesson with different classes.
- SESSIONS - These are the unique times that you use a lesson with a class.You will have SESSION every time you do a lesson with a class.
- FIRST YOU WILL NEED TO CREATE CLASSES
- You will not be able to input students into the classes you create yet.You will have to do a bogus session with each class in order to do that the easy way.Those instructions will be on another page.
- Click on the CLASSES tab along the top.
- Click NEW CLASS.This will cause a box to pop up . You will add information to this box.
- Type in a description for the Course.It might be ALG2 or GEO.
- Type in a description for the Section/Location.I put the class period ie. PER2.
- The class name will fill in automatically by combining these 2 things, so it will look like this:ALG2PER2.
- In the bottom part of the box, select the RF clicker under Clicker Type.
- Select OPEN under system type.This means that students will always enter their ID when using the clickers.
- Finally, under Audience Type, select KNOWN.
- In this same box, look at the tabs.Go to the tab called Default Setting.
- Where it says Number of Responses, set this closest to the number in your class.Its ok if its larger, but it shouldnt be smaller!
- Where it says Display Response you probably want to click YES. This allows you to see on the screen when students have responded.
- In Response Box Color, choose CLEAR.
- In the next line, just choose what you want to be displayed when a student answers.It will not show the students answer.It shows the name or ID of people who have answered.
- For Attendee List, I would choose the same thing that you just put.
- For Display Question, choose YES.
- For Attendee List, just choose what you want shown.
- For Display Question, choose YES.
- For Chart type, choose whichever type of chart you like.
- For Show Histogram, decide yes or no.
- For Show correct answer click YES if you want students to see the correct answer after everyone has answered or time has run out.
- For Chart Values By, decide if you want percent or number.
22. HOORAY!YOUR CLASSES ARE NOW READY!!!! 23. NOW YOU NEED TO MERGE YOUR CLASS ROSTERS INTO THE SOFTWARE!
- This step has to be done with the students in the room.You will need to have the class whose roster you will be importing and students will use the clickers.This is tricky, but it makes everything much easier!
24. If you follow this procedure, it will save you the time of typing in every kid and their ID number!!!
- If you contact Lisa Davis, she will put your classes into Excel spreadsheets.Kay Weaver may be able to do this as well.I will check and hopefully have this information sent to your email. : )
- Make sure that the spreadsheet is saved as a .csv file.THIS IS THE ONLY TYPE THAT CAN BE MERGED!!!!
- To find out, open the spreadsheet.Then go to File and save as.At the bottom, you will see File Name and then File Type.Name it whatever you want, but on File Type, make sure that it says .csv.If it doesnt, change it to that type and save it.
25. FIRST STEP DURING CLASS
- You will need a sample question for students to answer!It can be a totally bogus question like:I liked lunch today.Choose True or False.This is only to let you merge the roster.
- You will go into the PRS software, interactive mode.
- You can choose to create a new lesson, but its easier to just call out a bogus question to the class.
26. SECOND STEP
- Now you are ready to get the class going.
- You will choose new session.You will get a pop up box that will ask you some questions about this session.Make sure that you select the right class!Then it will make a name for the session using the class and the date. (ALG2PER2_04_15_2010
27. THIRD STEP
- Make sure that all students turn on their clickers and put in their ID number.Then they will join the class.
- Have all students answer the question.
- When everyone has answered, end the session.
28. FOURTH STEP
- You will get a prompt to save the roster.Make sure you save it!!
- Next go to the Classes tab and choose Import/Merge Roster.
- Choose Merge with Current Roster.
29. FINAL STEPS
- Check Use Non PRS roster.
- Match the fields in the Roster with the fields in the Class.
30. NOW THIS PERIOD IS READY TO USE THE PRS!!!!
- Now the names should be matched with the ID!!If a student incorrectly entered their ID, or they were absent, their name will not have an ID.You can go in and add it manually.
31. CREATING LESSONS AND QUESTIONS
- You can create lessons in the PRS or you can create lessons using Power Point or whatever you choose.You can even call out questions and have students answer.You will want to make sure that you put your answers into Interwrite so that it can give you immediate overt responses.
- To create lessons in the PRS