2014 marks the 90th anniversary of the McKimmon Center for Extension and Continuing Education. In June 1924, State College (now NC State University) established General Extension to offer correspondence courses and develop closer ties to industry and business. By the 1930s, its extension, correspondence, reading, and short courses served a student body representing every county in the state of NC, a majority of U.S. states, and several foreign countries. In 1965, College Extension was re-named the Division of Continuing Education. In 1971, the State legislature appropriated $4.25 million, to join the $100,000 in “butter and egg money” raised by home demonstration women, for construction of the McKimmon Center--named for Dr. Jane S. McKimmon, a proponent of continuing education and state director of the women's division of the Farmers Institutes from 1908-1911. This PowerPoint illustrates MCE&CE's early years.
Text of NC State University's McKimmon Center for Extension and Continuing Education 90th Anniversary - Part...
1. Jane S. McKimmon Center for Extension and Continuing
Education IN THE BEGINNING
2. The 1911 Building The Original Home of NC State Extension
1915 3. Demonstration of Grape Products NC State Fair 1922 4. Milk
Product Demonstration 5. Demonstrating Packing Strawberry Preserves
to Canning Club Members 1924 6. County Agent S. A. Ammons
Inspecting Club Member Ruth O'Kelly's Poultry September 9, 1925 7.
County Agent Demonstrating Differences in Cotton to Club Members
Stanley County August 3, 1927 8. 4-H club members 4-H Short Course
at NC State College with 4-H, State Extension, and State Government
Leaders 1929 9. African American Home Demonstration on Child Care
Skills Circa 1930 10. Short Course Brochures 1948-49 11. 1953-55
Farm Radio Institute Brochures 12. Meat Canning Circa 1960 13.
Automotive Transmission Instruction 1954 14. E.W. Ruggles, Director
of NC State Extension, and James I. Mason, Director of the Gaston
Technical Institute 1954-1956 15. Mrs. Henry Walker Presenting the
Donation for McKimmon Extension Education Center to North Carolina
State University Chancellor John T. Caldwell July 1966 16.
Construction Begins on the Jane S. McKimmon Center for Extension
and Continuing Education 17. The New Home for Extension and
Continuing Education 18. Jane S. McKimmon Center for Extension and
Continuing Education 1976 19. Jane S. McKimmon Center for Extension
and Continuing Education STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER