ICTM 2010: How do you know if they know?
Presentation given at the 2010 Iowa Council of Teachers of Mathematics conference in West Des Moines, Iowa.
2. How do you know if they know? Matt Townsley Math Educator Solon High School 3. Demographics check 4. For more information... http://tr.im/formativeassess [email_address] Twitter : @mctownsley Blog : www.mctownsley.net 5. John Doe 3 Good job! 14 __ 16 http://tr.im/formativeassess 6. Assessment always has more to do with helping students grow than with cataloging their mistakes.-Carol Tomlinson [ The Differentiated Classroom , p. 11] http://tr.im/formativeassess 7. How much do you know about formative assessment? Lykert scale: 1 I know very little thats why Im here! 2 I know a little bit. 3 I know some, but I dont know everything. 4 I know quite a bit and wonder if todays presenter is going to challenge my beliefs.http://tr.im/formativeassess 8. Experts say 9. Formative assessments are defined as any activity that provides sound feedback on student learning.-Robert Marzano [ Classroom Assessment and Grading that Work , p. 111] http://tr.im/formativeassess 10. What formative assessment is NOT
- A specific type of assessment
- Something you do every Friday
http://tr.im/formativeassess 11. Necessary components of formative assessment
- Offer students a clear picture of learning targets
- Students engaged in self-assessment
- Provide an understanding ofspecificsteps to improve [Adapted from Black & William, Inside the Black Box, 1998]
http://tr.im/formativeassess 12. from the students perspective
- What knowledge or skills do I aim to develop?
- What do I need to do next?
- [Brookhart,How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students,2008]
http://tr.im/formativeassess 13. Who gets a better grade? Bob : HW: 100%; Quiz: 100%; Test: 100% Suzy : HW: 75%; Quiz: 80%; Test: 100% Which student knows more? http://tr.im/formativeasses/ 14. Enough theory. How does it work? http://tr.im/formativeassess 15. Flickr image used with permission:http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalonian/654769425/ 16. 17. Flickr image used with permissionhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmarchan/562116408/ http://tr.im/formativeassess 18. http://tr.im/formativeassess 19. http://tr.im/formativeassess 20. 21. So, changing classroom assessment is the beginning of a revolution a revolution in classroom practices of all kinds.-Lorna Earl [ Assessment as Learning: Using Classroom Assessment to Maximize Student Learning , p. 15] http://tr.im/formativeassess 22. Q & A http://tr.im/formativeassess 23. For more information... http://tr.im/formativeassess [email_address] Twitter : @mctownsley Blog : www.mctownsley.net