For FE and HE students to help them evaluate information.
Text of 5Ws Questions to ask while searching
1. The questions to ask when researching
2. Before you start We are so used to going straight to Google that we forget to plan. A little planning can save a lot of time! Evaluating and recording your search results will get higher marks! PLANNING CYCLE
What is the information that I need?
4. Do I have clear keywords taken from the task that I can use as search terms?
What is the Information Ive found?
6. Is it right for my task?
7. Do I understand it - can I put in my own words?
Be systematic Use catalogues, index pages, recommended sites Wikipedia explains and has leads, but dont use content Get as close as you can before you click search
16. Who has put the information there? Are they an expert in the subject? If the site belongs to an organisation who sponsors it or funds it? If the identity of the author isnt clear look for about us or contact us links for more clues. Is it peer reviewed? (mainly for HE)
17. Why is the information there? To sell goods or products or ideas? Is the information based on opinion or facts? Search for info about the source
How up to date does your information need to be?
19. Can you tell when this information was last updated? (not just the main site or when the book was printed)
20. Old information can be misleading of completely wrong!