TRYOUT SMK BAHASA INGGRIS SEMUA PROGRAM TAHUN PELAJARAN 2008-2009 A. LISTENING COMPREHENSION
In this section of the test you will have the chance to show how well you understand spoken English. There are four parts to this section with special directions for each part. PART I. Directions: There are three items in this part. For each item, you will see a picture on your test paper and you will hear four short statements. The statements will be spoken TWO TIMES. They will not be printed on your test paper, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say. When you hear the four statements, look at the picture on your test paper and choose the statement that best describes what you see in the picture. Then, on your answer sheet, find the number of the question and mark your answer. Look at the sample below. Now listen to the four statements.A C D Sample Answer Statement (B), Theres a bookcase behind the man, best describes what you see in the picture. Therefore, you should choose answer (B). Now lets begin with the picture marked number (1) on your test paper.
PART II. Directions: There are four items in this part of the test. For each item, you will hear a question or statement spoken in English followed by three responses, also spoken in English. They will be spoken TWO TIMES. They will not be printed on your test paper, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say. You are to choose the best response to each question or statement. Now listen to a sample question. You will hear : You will also hear : Sample AnswerB C
The best response to the question, How are you? is choice (A), Im fine. Thank you. Therefore you should choose answer (A). Now lets begin with question number (4) on your test paper.
4. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.answer sheet. 5. Mark your answer on your answer sheet. answer sheet.
6. Mark your answer on your 7. Mark your answer on your
PART III. Directions: There are four items in this part of the test. For each item you will hear a short conversation between two people. You will hear the conversations TWO TIMES. They will not be printed on your test paper, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say. On your test paper, you will read a question about each conversation. The question will be followed by four answers. You are to choose the best answer to each question. Now, lets begin with question number (8) on your test paper. 8. What will the man probably do next? A. He will fix the copier. B. He will help the woman. C. He will wait until the next day. D. He will find another photocopy shop. 10. What is the man doing? A. He is having a party. B. He is confirming a reservation. C. He is ordering a set of furniture. D. He is reserving a place at a restaurant. 9. What did the woman do? A. She confirmed a ticket. B. She asked for permission. C. She found the telephone. D. She wanted to call her friend.
11. How does the woman react? A. She refuses to go out. B. She will pick up the man. C. She accepts the invitation. D. She enjoys the movie very much.
PART IV. Directions: In this part of the test you will hear two short talks. Each will be spoken TWO TIMES. They will not be printed on your test paper, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say. Now lets begin with short talk number (12) on your test paper. 12. What did the announcer apologize for? A. Passenger ticket. B. Postponed flight. C. Financial problem. D. Late announcement. 14. What is being advertised? A. Shampoo. B. Hair tonic. C. Moisturizer. D. Conditioner. 13. What is served in the lounge? A. Coffee and tea. B. Bread and fruit. C. Food and drink. D. Lunch and dinner. 15. Since when has BIOHAIR been known? A. 1904. B. 1914. C. 1924. D. 1940.
THIS IS THE END OF THE LISTENING COMPREHENSION SECTION GO ON TO THE READING SECTIONT0/SMK/BHS. INGGRIS/PAKET-1A/0809
B. READING SECTION In this part of the test you will have the chance to show how well you understand written English. There are three parts to this section, with special directions for each part. PART V. Directions: Questions 16 25 are incomplete dialogues. Four clauses/sentences, marked (A), (B), (C), or (D), are given beneath each question. You are to choose the one clause/sentence that best completes the dialogue. Then, on your answer sheet, find the number of the question and mark your answer.
16. AanIin A. B. C.
: Staying in this hotel is very enjoyable. : I had better stay home. I think so. Im against you. I cant agree more. Im completely on your side.
17.Ollie : How do I get to your house? Olla : Ollie : Thanks. That sounds easy to find. A. Sorry, Im not sure about that. B. Its next to the big green house. C. Just walk down the street and turn right. D. It is between train station and supermarket.
18. Susan : What kind of extra activities do you have at school?Noel : Susan : Really? So, you can speak more than one foreign languages. A. We join scouting clubs. B. We do many kinds of sports. C. We have French and Mandarin classes. D. We learn first aids in Young Red Cross. 19. Simon : Hello. Agent : Yes. What time would you like to leave? Simon : Is 4 p.m. available? A.Will you go to Bangkok tomorrow? B.Is there a flight to Tokyo on Friday? C. Would you like to visit Kuala Lumpur? D.Can I go with the first flight to Singapore?T0/SMK/BHS. INGGRIS/PAKET-1A/0809
20. Lane : Could you help me with the preparation of the party next Sunday?Helen
: I have already made an appointment. I can do it. Im very sorry. It will be very tiring. I give all my time for you.
21. Ticket officer
: Can I help you? Customer : Id like to confirm my ticket to Bali. My flight number is G 207. Ticket Officer : Ill check it. A. Who is speaking? B. Can I put you through? C. When would you like to fly? D. Could you hold on a minute? 22.Sonia : What were you doing when the earthquake happened? Siva : I almost fell down. A. I was preparing meals. B. I was writing the report. C. I was handling a phone call. D. I was fixing the lamp on the ceiling.
23. Lynn : Our company will have family gathering next month. Femi A. B. : Id love to, but Im so sorry they cant. They have to prepare for the exam. How would go there, by bus or car? Will you invite your friends to come? Would you like to go together with me? Would you please take your children with you?
24.Davin : Im not feeling well today. Anggie : Davin : Thanks for the advice. A. Do you want to lie down? B. Why dont you take a rest? C. How about going to the cinema? D. What about having something to drink?
25. Erma : What are we going to do now? Its raining outside.Rini : Erma : They will be disappointed. We have to cheer them up. A. I wonder why its raining badly nowadays. B. I wish the sun shines brightly at this moment. C. If the weather were nice, the kids could go camping.T0/SMK/BHS. INGGRIS/PAKET-1A/0809
D. All the children are happy as if they got some candies. PART VI. Directions: In items 26 35, each item has four underlined words or phrases, marked (A), (B), (C), (D). You are to identify the one underlined word or phrase that should be corrected or rewritten, and mark your answer.
: I have to finish my proposal but there is some trouble with my computer. A B Should you mind if I use yours? C Dewi : Of course not. D
27. Cindy : Tomorrow will be Sintas birthday. Are you going to the party?A B : If my mother gave me permission, I will come. C Cindy : Ok, I will wait for you. D Taty
28. Tuty : Are the students all right after taking a rest?Tony
A B : Yes, they feel very relaxing now. They are ready for the tour around. C D
29. Mitha : I am confused. All of the bags are so beautiful. Do you think the redone goes A B well with the dress you bought me last week? C : Thats fine, but I like the black color than the red one. D A Ita B
30. Andi : Have you finished writing the monthly report? Today is the deadline.: Of course, I have. It has prepared by my secretary two days ago. C D
31. Diana : I think English Debating competition can boost up students ability tospeak. A B Rika : Definitely. By participating in the tournament they would overcome their fear of CT0/SMK/BHS. INGGRIS/PAKET-1A/0809
expressing ideas. D
: He has won the race competition for three years in a row. A B : No one can beat him today. No one can run as quick as he can. C D : Can you describe your new house? A : Well, its a two-storey house whose has large windows and a B made of wood. D C
33. RitaVivi gate
34. Receptionist : Sorry, maam. We are fully booked now.Guest Receptionist
A : Thats too bad. I really need a place to stay around here. B : Should you like me to book a room for you at a nearby hotel? C D
35. Police are looking for a missing person named Luciana. The information tellsus that she is A 26 years old with blue eyes and a spot complexion. When last seen, she was wearing white B dress and blue coat. Anyone who finds her is requested to contact the nearest police station. C D PART VII. Directions: Questions 36 50 are based on a selection of reading materials, such as notices, letters, forms, articles, and advertisements. You are to choose the one best answer the questions (A), (B), (C), or (D). Answer all the questions following each reading selection on basis of what is stated or implied in the selection. Questions 36 - 38 refer to the following. HOW TO USE THE TELEPHONE SYSTEM To answer a call, pick up the phone and press the incoming call button. 2. To make an external call, T0/SM