Presentation on January 9, 2013 at CurateGear 2013 (Chapel Hill NC)
Text of Dispatches form Blog Purgatory
1. DISPATCHES FROM BLOG PURGATORY CAROLYN HANK [email protected] 2013: ENABLING THE CURATION OF DIGITAL COLLECTIONS JANUARY 9, 2013 | CHAPEL HILL NC
2. 2006-20081 GENERAL BLOGGERS QUESTIONNAIRES n=223 SNOWBALL SAMPLINGSheble, L., Choemprayong, S., & Hank. C. (2007). Preservation in context: Survey of blogging behaviors. In Proceedings of the Third International Digital Curation Conference. Edinburgh: Digital Curation Centre.
3. 2009-20112 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (ACTIVE) BLOG n=93 QUESTIONNAIRES INTERVIEWS BLOGGER n=153 BLOG ANALYSIS HISTORY, ECONOMICS, LAW, BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY & PHYSICS Hank. C. (2011). Scholars and their blogs: Characteristics, preferences, and perceptions impacting digital preservation (Doctoral dissertation). ProQuest Dissertations & Theses database (UMI No. 3456270).
4. 2009-20112 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (ACTIVE) SELECT FINDING: Found that active scholar bloggers perceive their blogs as positively impacting their scholarly lives, and contributing to invitations to publish, present and collaborate
5. SCHOLARLY LIFE PROMOTION GREATER VISIBILITY WORK ENJOYMENT TEACHING QUALITY SHARING PRE-PUBS IMPROVED WRITING EFFICIENCY NEITHER WRITING QUALITY IMPAIRED RESEARCH QUALITY RESEARCH CREATIVITYRESEARCH PRODUCTIVITY 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% 2 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS
6. 2009-20112 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (ACTIVE) SELECT FINDING: Further, most viewed their blogs as part of their scholarly record, with an interest in preserving their blogs. Most took some action to save their blog, in whole or in part.
7. SCHOLARSHIP Public 100% Allows use andScholarly exchange 94% record 80% Subject to critical review 68% 66% agree with all three criteria Association of Research Libraries (1986) Braxton, Luckey, & Helland (2002)2 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS
8. PRESERVATION % preservation for public access & use into the indefinite future2 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS
9. SAVING Subscription services Export tools Personal back-upsDocument/text files Via syndication services % Purposefully save entire blog via an archiving service or independently 2 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS
10. SERVICESSubscription to web or blog archiving or back-up service examples: BACKUPIFY BLOGBACKUPR BACKUPMYBLOG INTERNET ARCHIVE LOCs LEGAL BLAWGS ARCHIVE2 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS
12. What about those blogsthat are no longerpublished to but stillpublicly available?
13. 2009-20112 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (ACTIVE) BLOG ELIGIBILITY (644) PUBLICLY AVAILABLE = 570 (86%) PUBLISHED IN ENGLISH = 544 (84%) KNOWLEDGE OR PERSONAL BLOG = 498 (77%) TIME-STAMPED POSTS = 496 (77%) ACTIVELY PUBLISHED TO = 271 (42%) AT LEAST 1 YEAR OLD = 231(36%) IDENTIFIERS (RE: AUTHORSHIP) = 208 (32%)
14. 2009-20112 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (ACTIVE)INELIGIBLE BLOG ... Available but not actively % published to in previous left no message behind 3 months on where they went or (n=156) if they will be back etc.
15. 2012-PRESENT3 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (INACTIVE) BLOGX BLOG ANALYSIS n=909 N=1779 no new posts > 3 months HUMANITIES, SOCIAL SCIENCES, SCIENCES, PROF. & USEFUL ARTSHank. C., & Lent, A.R. (2012). Dispatches from blog purgatory: Final messages from scholars inactive blogs.#Influence12: Symposium & workshop on measuring influence on social media. Halifax, Nova Scotia
16. 2012-PRESENT3 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (INACTIVE) 556 ACTIVE BLOGS (61%) 353 (39%) INACTIVE BLOGS currently published no new posts a note tacked to the door?230 NONE (65%) 77 (22%) LAST POST ONLY 46 (13%) 2ND OR 3RD
17. 2012-PRESENT 2011-PRESENT3 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (INACTIVE) THE END IS HERE This blog has completed its mission. I will leave the blog up for whatever value it has. And I thank those of you who have commented and sent encouraging support. Now, it is my aim to have more time to paint and write.
18. 2012-PRESENT3 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (INACTIVE) IM STILL HERE ... at any rate, Im not ready to throw in the towel, despite a year of not blogging here. Ive gotten too much out of it - great friends, even my current job - to quit just yet. The question is: How do I get the motivation back?
19. 2012-PRESENT3 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (INACTIVE) ILL BE BACK [AUG 2012] Im shocked by how long its been since Ive posted on here. Ive put up a few posts over at ... since I stopped posting here, but not many. Im posting this to say that Ill soon be back! (2nd to most recent post: June 15, 2010) This site is under construction and will be until I stop being lazy.
20. 2012-PRESENT3 SCHOLAR BLOGGERS (INACTIVE) SEE YOU LATER just not here Ive begun to feel like this blog is less and less suited to my day-to-day activities. Rather than try to force it to fit, Ive decided to build something new.