5. DEATH IN THIS WORLD IS A CONSEQUENCEOFSIN. GENESIS 2:17 17. But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in that day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. ROMANS 5:12 12. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
6. Death comes to us all, man, women, rich, poor, black, white, protestant, catholic. Death is the great leveller. Only two men in the Bible were exempt form death Enoch----- Genesis 5:24 Elijah ----- 2 Kings 2:11
7. MAN CONSISTS OF TWO THINGS THEBODY THESOUL THAT IS A PHYISCAL STATE , HEAD ,ARMS LEGSETC THEINVISIBLETHE UNSEENSPIRIT WITHIN US.
8. WHEN WE DIE THE BODY, WHEN BURRIED SEES CORRUPTION IT RETURNS TO DUST GENESIS 3:19 Says .....till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. ACTS 13:36 Talking of Davidsays....and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption.
9. THIS ENCLUDES ALL MEN WHATEVER STATE WE DIE IN, SAVED OR UNSAVED, OUR BODY RETURNS TO THE GROUND AND SEES CORRUPTION
10. OUR SOULS DONT DIE Our souls dont die or see corruption along with our bodies in the ground Our souls are immortal they are eternal everlasting. The soul of the saved man returns to God. Ecclesiastes 12:7 says...Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. AlsoLuke 23:43
11. THE SOUL OF THE SAVED MAN IS MADE PERFECT Hebrews 12:23 Says ......to God the judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect.
12. WESTMINSTERCONFESSION Chapter 32 says.............The souls of the righteous, being then made perfect in holiness, are received into the highest heavens, where they behold the face of God in light and glory, waiting for the full redemption of their bodies.
13. THE SOUL OF AN UNSAVED MAN If a man dies without Christ his soul has something in common the saved mans soul, it to is immortal eternal, But his soul ends up in hell Luke 16:23 23.And in Hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. Jude 6,7
14. The condition that the soul finds itself in, is irreversible it is unalterable it doesnt get a second chance. Look again at Luke 16:24 24. have mercy on me and send Lazarus to get me out of here , for I am tormented in this flame NO. The Rich Man knows there is a great gulf between heaven and hell
15. So when a believer dies his spirit goes to be with Christ And when an unbeliever dies his spirit it goes to a place of utter torment, torture and utter darkness without Christ
16. SECOND COMING I Thessalonians 4:13-18 The dead in Christ shall be raised up and their bodies and souls will be reunited, their identities will be preserved. Job 19:26,27 I Corinthians 15:42-44 We will know each other in heaven, but we will not have the same relationship with each other i.e Father ,Mother, son, daughter etc
17. The body of the believer will be changed Philippians 3:21 The corruptible is to put on incorruption I Corinthians 15: 53,54 The body of the believer will be made like unto Christs glorious body Philippians 3:21
18. Are bodies are made for this world and all the limitations that go with that. Our old earthly bodies will be changed and made new in the twinkling of an eye , made perfect for our new heavenly home
19. The body of the unbeliever at the second coming will rejoin its soul neither of which are made any better and are resurrected unto damnation John 5: 28,29
20. John MacArthur on Heaven
21. CHURCH OF ROME The church of Rome teach several possibilities for man after his death. They teach that the underworld, or Hades has several distinct regions for the different types of soul.
22. Unbaptized infants their souls go to a place called LimbusInfantum here there is no suffering and no vision of God the age limit for this is 7 years and under this is considered the age of reason We know this place as limbo This teaching is centuries old
23. OCTOBER 2006
24. OLD TESTAMENT SAINTS The church of Rome teach that old testament saints are gathered in a place called LimbusPatrum. This is were once again there is no suffering and no vision of God ( 1 Peter 3:19) That is until Christ during the three days between death on the cross and his resurrection he went down into this prison and released them. This is sometimes called divided shoal
25. AND THE REST All Christians who have attained perfection in this world go straight to heaven. All unbaptized adults and those who have died in mortal sin and are unreconciled to the church or have lost grace found through baptism go straight to hell.
26. FINALLY THE REST OR THE MARJORTY OF CHRISTIANS WHO DIE WITH IMPERFECTIONS, AND ARE IN COMMUNION WITH THE CHURCH GO TO PURGATORY
27. QUESTION ?WHAT DO YOU THINK PURGATORY IS LIKE
28. PURGATORY ? A PLACE OF FIRE BUT NOT AS BAD AS HELL
29. PURGATORY ? PURGING THE BAD a real place
30. PURGATORY A PROCESS Teaching that purgatory was a physical place has never been church doctrine. In 1999 pope john Paul II declared that the term purgatory does not indicate a place , but a condition of existence.
31. The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism Under the section purgatory Gods hospital Purgatory is Gods hospital for souls, where those who do not love God enough to enter heaven are cured by fire....Then they must go to purgatory.......in purgatory Gods cleansing fires burn away the souls selfishness till its love becomes perfect.........
32. The Catechism of the Catholic Church 1030:all who die in Gods grace, and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven. 1031:the church gives the name purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned...............................
33. HOW DOES IT WORK
34. MORTAL SIN What is this mortal sin that will send us to hell? Murder , adultery or deliberately breaking any of the laws of the church. The mass, fasting, confession, holy Eucharist, marry non Catholics, contribute.
35. VENIAL SIN Venial sins are the not so bad sins They say evangelical terms its where the backslider goes to get cleaned up before joining the wedding banquet of the Lord.
36. SIN Purgatory does notremove sin itself , it removes the effects of sin.
37. EXAMPLE Someone hammers a nail into a piece of wood . Then someone else comes along and pulls the nail out of the wood (sin), but there would be still a dent in the wood. Purgatory is the process of straightening out the dent in the wood
38. THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST The teaching of the doctrine of purgatory says that what Christ did on the cross was not enough , his death, the shedding of his blood and the resurrection where insufficient. If the blood of the sinless, perfect son of God, Jesus Christ cannot perfectly atone for our sins then there is nothing that can.
39. IM A CHRISTIAN GET ME OUT OF HERE The Roman Catholic church teach that the fate of those in purgatory can be affected by those still living This is based on prayers for the dead found in 2 Maccabees 12:42-46
40. INDULGENCES You can obtain an indulgence for you self or on behalf of the dead This will decrease the amount of time you will spend in purgatory
41. EXAMPLE OF A PRAYER FOR THE DEAD ST GERTRUDES PRAYER Eternal father I offer thee the most precious blood of the divine son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. amen
42. HOLY EUCHARIST It is said and well documented that many Catholics leave money and some their entire estate to the Church so the priest can say daily masses for them , so their stay in purgatory is a short one
43. BIBLICAL PASSAGES THAT CATHOLICS FEEL REFER TO PURGATORY PS 66:12 MT 12:32 PHIL 2:10,11 ECC 12:14 LUKE 16:19-31 I THESS 3:13 IS 4:4 EPH 4:8-10 EPH 6:5-7 MACC 12:39-45 1 PET 319,20 2 TIM 1:16-18 MIC 7:8,9 1 COR 3:11-15 HEB 12:14 MAL 3:1-4 2 COR 5:10 REV 5:3 MAT 5:25,26 LK 12:58,59