Embed Size (px)
Mastering Hashimoto’s From Triggers to Solutions
The informa1on in this program has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. This informa1on is not intended as a subs1tute for the advice or medical care of a qualified health care professional and you should seek the advice of your health care professional before undertaking any dietary or lifestyle changes. The material provided in this document is for educa1onal purposes only.
Let’s hear about your Ac1on Plans!
Recap of Class #3
• Sugar is hiding in so much of food. • It’s an an1-‐nutrient -‐> diseases or amplifies poor health
• Ac1on plans: start reading labels, choose beOer sugars, cap it at 5 tsps/day, surround yourself with healthy op1ons, probio1cs.
• Good news: you can control sugar so it does not control you!
What detox is not
• A bunch of supplements to pop while making liOle or no changes in what and how we eat
• A 3-‐day crash-‐diet • A way to quickly lose weight • Physical alone, it’s emo1onal and spiritual as well
What detox is
• A way to elimina1ng toxic and detrimental elements in our lives
• About shuWng down the diges1on for repair and healing to happen
• Pressing the “reset” buOon • About leWng go
• Going within yourself and listening • Can very in degree and length
Detoxifica1on is an ancient concept
• In every religion: Lent, Yom Kippur, Ramadan • Prominent men: Buddha, Jesus Christ, Mahatma Ghandi, Mar1n Luther King, Plato, Socrates, Hippocrates have fasted on a regular basis.
• Skin • Diges1ve track (incl small intes1ne and colon)
• Liver • Lungs • Kidneys
Sources of toxicity
• Non-‐organic food (think: mercury, lead, PCBs and over 130 pes1cides)
• Air pollu1on (a long list) • Tap water (think: fluoride,
chlorine, PCBs, mercury, lead, parasites)
• Skin care products (think: phthalates, BPA, triclosan, parabens)
• House hold cleaning products (think: triclosan, phthalates, parabens)
• Medica1ons; both recrea1onal and prescrip1on, including commonly-‐used ones like cor1costeroids, tetracycline and aspirin
• Plas1cs (think: BPA, PFOA) • Cookware like non-‐s1ck
pans (think: PFOA) • Stress • Alcohol • Coffee • Ar1ficial sweeteners
Signs of toxicity • Headaches • Autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto’s
• Sore throat
• Tight and s1ff neck
• High blood fats
• Skin condi1ons
• Itchy nose
• Frequent colds
• Irritated eyes
• Immune weakness
• Environmental sensi1vity
• Sexual dysfunc1on
• Sinus conges1on
• Runny nose • Bad breath
• Mood change
• Skin rashes
• Joint pains
What to expect from detoxing? • Purifica1on • More energy and enthusiasm • Rejuvena1on • Less allergies • Rest for diges1ve organs • Greater abdominal peace • Clearer skin • Sense of personal beauty • An1-‐aging effects • BeOer liver and gut func1on to
convert T4 to T3 thyroid hormones
• Improved senses – vision, hearing, taste
• Drug detoxifica1on • Reversal of sugar addic1on • Reversal of IR and
hypoglycemia • Stronger immune system • BeOer sleep • Greater mo1va1on • More crea1vity • Clean personal space • Commitment to habits change • Clarity of mind • Self-‐confidence • Diet change, for life
Who should not be detoxing?
• Heart condi1ons • Extreme fa1gue
• Underweight • Severe diges1ve issues • Pregnant and lacta1ng women
Source of toxicity: FOOD
What is organic?
• No synthe1c pes1cides, herbicides, fungicides, insec1cides or fer1lizers
• No gene1cally modified organisms (GMO)
• No irradia1on • No industrial solvents • No chemical food addi1ves
• Environmental Protec1on Agency (EPA) iden1fied 60% of herbicides, 90% of fungicides, and 30% percent of insec1cides to be carcinogenic, and most are damaging to your nervous system as well.
• Linked to: – Disrup1on of endocrine system – Cancer – Immune system suppression – Male infer1lity and reduced reproduc1ve func1on – Miscarriages – Parkinson’s disease
• Tastes beOer • More nutri1onally dense • Cheaper in the longer run (less medical issues and bills later on)
• BeOer for the earth
• Organic versus “natural”? • USDA label or small farms?
17 Source: www.ewg.org
Sourcing Organic Food
• Local farmers’ markets (www.localharvest.org) • Local co-‐ops (www.localharvest.org ) • CSA = Community-‐Supported Agriculture, aka “veggie box from farmer”
• Linked to autoimmune disorders • Higher in lec1ns than non-‐GMO crops
• Good read: hOp://www.ewg.org/research/five-‐things-‐you-‐should-‐know-‐about-‐gmos
Source of toxicity: WATER
The problem with water…
• Fluoride • Chlorine • Bromine
• PCBs • Mercury and heavy metals
• Fluoride is a halogens; same as chlorine, iodine and bromine.
• Historically used for people with hyperthyroidism to slow the thyroid down!
• Fluoride blocks thyroid receptors from binding with iodine to produce T4. • Fluoride interferes with the T4 to T3 conversion.
• The United States is one of 7 countries in the world that s1ll uses fluoride in the water. The EU does not allow it.
• Will fluoride removal cause tooth decay? NO.
• Sources of fluoride:
– Tap water. – Toothpaste. Pick fluoride-‐free tooth paste. – Fluoride pes1cides; are most common. Buy organic. – Sou drinks and soda. – Some medica1ons; like an1depressants including Prozac, Zolou and Aropax.
• Good ar1cle: hOp://ar1cles.mercola.com/sites/ar1cles/archive/2011/08/13/fluoride-‐and-‐thyroid-‐dysfunc1on.aspx
Water filter op1ons • Anything that removed fluoride, chlorine, heavy metals.
1. Clean Air Pure Water • hOp://www.cleanairpurewater.com/water_equipment.html (Magdalena is
using the Kitchen Defender) • Whole house, shower and kitchen solu1ons • Good pricing e.g. Kitchen Defender costs $320 • Reduces fluoride, does not remove it completely • Reverse Osmosis systems (for water coming from highly polluted river
2. CustomPure (SeaOle-‐based company) • hOp://www.custompure.com/MB-‐Series-‐W13C4.aspx ($580) • hOp://www.custompure.com/Counter-‐Top-‐MB612-‐P2.aspx ($380)
More on water filters
• Brita filter? • Fridge water filters? • Reverse osmosis?
• Alkaline water?
Source of toxicity: CHEMICALS
Worse than ea1ng them?
“Pu.ng chemicals on your skin or scalp, such as ge.ng a hair dye, may actually be worse than ea=ng them. When you eat something, the enzymes in your saliva and stomach help to break it down and flush it out of your body. However, when you put these chemicals on your skin, they are absorbed straight into your bloodstream without filtering of any kind, going directly to your delicate organs.” -‐ Dr Mercola
• Parabens are ar1ficial preserva1ves • Mimic estrogen in the body (hormone/thyroid alarm bells!)
• Present in a wide variety of cosme1cs and body care products, including moisturizers, face and skin cleansers, shampoos, condi1oners, sunscreens, deodorants and an1perspirants, shaving gels, toothpastes, makeup, and many others.
• They are also used as preserva1ves in food and beverages, and in some medica1ons.
Phthalates • They make anything smell nice, make absorp1on by the skin faster and
souen plas1cs • Not declared on product labels! • 75% of 72 name-‐brand products contained phthalates, though none of
them listed them as ingredients • Found in:
– personal care products – perfume – anything with fragrance – vinyl toys/shower curtains – house dust – pharmaceu1cal & supplement pill coa1ngs
• Connected to: behavioral disorders (ADHD), birth defects, reproduc1ve toxicity, liver toxicity, breast cancer and obesity
• Best to look for “organic essence oil” used in products, not the word “fragrance”
• Triclosan is an ar1ficial an1microbial chemical used to kill bacteria on the skin and other surfaces.
• Found in: – an1bacterial soaps, hand sani1zers – toothpaste – household cleaners – an1bacterial cuWng boards, treated sponges
• Linked to: thyroid dysfunc1on, asthma, cancer (chloroform produc1on), liver toxicity.
• Kills our gut bacterial flora and makes up resistant to an1bio1cs
• Vague claims such as "protec1on against mold," "odor-‐figh1ng" or "keeps food fresher, longer," may also indicate the presence of triclosan
• Good read: hOp://www.medicaldaily.com/fda-‐reviews-‐an1bacterial-‐hand-‐soap-‐why-‐triclosan-‐bad-‐you-‐and-‐planet-‐245474 29
Bisphenol-‐A or BPAs
• BPAs = xenoestrogens • Found in: some plas1cs, thermal paper receipts
• Connected to: – Reproduc1ve Toxicity – Obesity/Weight Gain/Insulin Resistance – Sexual Dysfunc1on (men)
– Thyroid Disorders – Cancer – Neurological/Behavioral (ADHD)
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) • A foaming agent • Found in:
– shampoos – hair color and bleaching agents – toothpastes – body washes and cleansers – make-‐up founda1ons – liquid hand soaps – laundry detergents
• Linked to: – Irrita1on of the skin and eyes – Organ toxicity – Developmental/reproduc1ve toxicity – Neurotoxicity, endocrine disrup1on, ecotoxicology, and biochemical or cellular
changes – Possible muta1ons and cancer
Perflurooctanoid Acid (PFOA)
• Linked to: – thyroid disorders – hyperac1vity – reproduc1ve toxicity – hormone disrup1on
• Found in: – non-‐s1ck cookware – Stainguard sprays – carpet & upholstery treatments/Spot cleaners – microwave popcorn bags – food package linings
Ways to assess your products
• Skincare products: www.ewg.org/skindeep • Sunscreen guide: hOp://www.ewg.org/2013sunscreen/
• Household products: hOp://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners
Source of toxicity: SKIN CARE PRODUCTS
• Consider all the CHEMICALS we covered • Includes: – Shampoo and condi1oners – Deodorants – Toothpastes – Soaps and shower gels – Makeup – Lo1ons and creams
• Try DIY skincare products? HANDOUTS: Thyroid Detox Content
Download from Member’s Area.
DIY Skincare Products?
Home-‐made shampoo Lavender and Honey Shampoo Rich in minerals and purifying
enzymes, this honey-‐based shampoo leaves hair sou, shiny and gunk-‐free!
Ingredients • ½ cup cas1le soap • 1 cup raw honey • ¾ to 1 ½ teaspoons lavender
essen1al oil To Make • Blend all ingredients together and
store in a clean container.
Source of toxicity: HOUSE CLEANING PRODUCTS
House Cleaning Products
• Consider all the CHEMICALS we covered • Includes: – Air fresheners – All-‐purpose cleaners – Wish washers – Detergents – Fabric soueners
• Try DIY house cleaning products? HANDOUTS: Thyroid Detox Content
Download from Member’s Area.
Source of toxicity: KITCHEN
Kitchen Makeover Guide
• Safe and clean brands • Simple Kitchen DIY Cleaners
• Clean kitchen checklist
• Is microwaving of food OK?
Download from Member’s Area.
Where to start?
You can try: • Skin care products, esp creams.
• Kitchen • House cleaning products
• “Chemerical” -‐ hOp://www.chemicalna1on.com/content/
• “Food.Inc” • “Supersize Me”
• “Forks Over Knives” • “Kind Corn”
3 min break ☺
Let’s Talk LIVER!
anger organ smile into your liver
Role of the Liver
• Purifies our blood (50 oz or 1.4 litres a minute), • Regulates the metabolism (through bile produc1on),
• Stores minerals and fat soluble vitamins, protein synthesis, glycogen storage and conversion (energy produc1on),
• Cholesterol produc1on (which is a good thing!) • Parasite protec1on and… • More famously... detoxifica1on!
Signs of a sluggish liver 1/2
• Hormonal imbalance
– Intolerance to HRT (hormone replacement therapy)
– Severe menopausal symptoms
– PMS – Estrogen dominance
– Mood swings
• Blood Sugar Problems
– Sugar cravings – Hypoglycemia – Type 2 diabetes – Energy slumps
– Waking in the night
• Immune dysfuncEon
– Allergies/ skin rashes – Chemical sensi1vi1es (think:
someone who can’t stand fumes or perfumes)
– Chronic Fa1gue/Fibromyalgia – Frequent illness
• DigesEve Problems
– Gall stones – Intolerance to fat – Sensi1vity to alcohol and/or
– Acid reflux – Bloa1ng or cons1pa1on – Irritable bowel syndrome
Signs of sluggish liver 2/2 • Abnormal metabolism of fats
– Abnormal level of fats in the blood, e.g. high LDL (“bad cholesterol”) and reduced HDL (“good cholesterol”)
– Elevated triglycerides – Blocked arteries leading to
hypertension, heart aOacks and strokes
– FaOy liver – Obesity
• Nervous System
– Depression – Anger and irritability – Foggy brain – Overhea1ng – Frequent headaches
• External signs
– Furry tongue – Bad breath – Acne and rosacea – Yellow, red or itchy eyes – Rashes – Easy bruising – Brown spot on hands, back
and face 49
Ph 1 and Ph2 Detoxifica1on
Your Liver Protocol – Diet 1/2
• Enough stomach HCl • Insoluble fiber 2-‐3 tbsps
per day: flax seed, chia, psyllium husk
• No fried food • BiOer greens: dandelion,
mustard greens • Cruciferous vegetables for
• Lemon zest • Choline-‐rich foods such as
avocados and eggs • Sulphur-‐rich foods such as
egg yolk, broccoli, onion, garlic or MSM
• Medicinal mushrooms like shitake or makame
• Vitamin C-‐rich superfoods like camu camu or goji berries (wol~erry)
Liver Protocol – Diet 2/2
• Selenium – 2 brazil nuts per day, or supplement
• Magnesium -‐ millet and cashews are great sources
• Add beets and beet greens
• Milk thistle powder – smoothie*
• Seaweed: kombu and nori unless you have a sensi1vity to iodine or high TPOab.
* Can be estrogenic for some. If you develop PMS or irregular period, stop or limit milk thistle.
Liver Protocol -‐ Supplements
• Add vitamin B complex (this means all the vitamins Bs) -‐ this is big in opening up the liver detoxifica1on pathways. I recommend using Max-‐B-‐ND from Premier Labs (sold online).
Liver Protocol – Lifestyle
• Castor oil pack – apply castor oil on your liver area and cover for 30min – 1 hour with a hot water boOle and a towel underneath it so you don’t get burned.
• Always avoid late-‐night snacking
• Do hot baths in Epson salts
• Spend 1me in sauna, esp infrared sauna
• Dry skin brushing • Lympha1c massage
Daily Sample Protocol Upon waking 2 tbsps of lemon juice in warm water 15 min before breakfast
Breakfast Smoothie. Blend in: • camu camu (vit C) • flaxseed (fiber + estrogen) • milk thistle, ground (liver) • lemon zest (liver) • parsley (liver) • brazil nuts (selenium) • probio1c (Gut Pro)
Supplements Vit D Fish oil (Omega 3) Vit B Complex (MaxND) Other – depending on your condi1on
PM Snack Juice. Use: • dandelion • parsley • cilantro • beets, beet greens • other veggies and fruit (no more than 30%)
Supplement Repeat of supplements
Relaxa1on Read a book, watch a movie with castor oil pack on your tummy ☺
Herbal tea Dandelion root tea
What about heavy metals?
Heavy Metal Detox Protocol
• Food – Elimina1on Diet, Thyroid Detox or other cleansing protocols • Reduce fish and non-‐organic food
• Water – filtered
• Remove all amalgam fillings, by a specialist • Clean up the environment (bathroom, kitchen)
• Reduce toxic load from skincare products and cosme1cs
• Heavy metals detox foods • Supplements
– an1oxidants – amino acids
– vitamins – minerals
• Procedures 58
Heavy Metals Detox -‐ Food
• Chlorella (not from Japan and not if your TPOab are higher than 100) • Cilantro (coriander) – juice ½ bunch daily • Fiber – soluble: oats, len1ls, apples, oranges, strawberries, nuts, flaxseed, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery and carrots.
– insoluble: whole grains, flaxseed, nuts, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, all fruit and root vegetable skins.
Heavy Metals Detox – Supplements
Heavy Metals – Chela1on
• Tes1ng: serum (blood) and urine (DMSA) • Chela1on agents are compounds that bind into toxins and pull them out of the body.
• Available forms: – DMSA (used by func1onal doctors) – pill – DMPS – IV
• Risks associated with both • Needs to be done by a qualified doctor
What about gut detox?
Detox is also…
• Elimina1on Diet • Paleo for Autoimmunity (AIP)
… they are detoxing, as well.
• Aka “lemonade diet/detox” • It lacks amino acids that bind fat-‐soluble toxins to neutralize them -‐ therefore I do not recommend it
How to choose a detox?
• Time of the year • Your current health • Previous experience
• Remember: every small change maOers!
food smoothies juices
Hormones Detox Gentle
Hormones Detox Deep
• 12-‐day program, thyroid-‐tailored • 5+5+2 = pre-‐detox, detox and post-‐detox • Gentle or Deep op1ons • Free of: gluten, dairy, eggs, corn, soy, meat and nightshade vegetables.
• Physical + emo1onal detox • Access to recorded calls + handouts • Live Hormones Detox in May 2014
Download from Member’s Area.
Thyroid Detox -‐ Handouts
• Toxicity Guide to Household Items & DIY Recipes
• Toxicity Guide, Brand Recommenda1ons
• Juicing Ideas • Skincare Products Toxins Guide & DIY Recipes • Skincare Recommended Brands
• Kitchen Makeover Guide
• Liver Flush Instruc1ons for further cleansing 69
Download from Member’s Area.
Quick recap of today:
• Detox is not only physical but emo1onal, too • Toxins are everywhere today, create a long-‐term plan to eliminate them from your life
• Plan a detox – how deep do you want to go? • What can you do today?
Next Class: Adrenals, Progesterone and Estrogen, May 7th, 4pm PST
Next Workgroup: May 3rd, 9am PST.