Boolean Search Operators And Social Media Search
How to use Boolean Search Operators in social media
- 1. Training Manual for Social Media Search Prepared for Attentio Brussels, 29th of April 2008
- 2. ATTENTIO is the European source for measuring and monitoring Social Media !
Credit for video goes to CommonCraft at www.commoncraft.com
- For a quick and fun social media tutorial, lets go to Scoopville!
- 5. creating queries , the Analysts specialty in measuring and monitoring Social Media through ATTENTIO
- 6. View Study: Queries To make a good Query, there are certain rules that must be implemented. The idea is to cast a linguistic net as widely as possible but to pick up as little unwanted data as possible.
- Query keywords must be made multilingual if the project is to track several linguistic markets.
- OR : covers synonyms or alternate words, e.g. car OR cars OR coche OR auto
- A query can only include up to 40 OR s
- AND : covers the need to include two words together in an article,
- The above query tracks only wheels when mentioned in an article with bicycles (not necessarily wheels mentioned in an article with cars)
- 7. View Study: Queries
- Query keywords can include Punctuation to specify certain ideas.
- () is used to close off a query: ( wheel AND bicycle ) .
- This insures that two items are classified together
- is used to contain two words side by side Mike Smith tracks an article only if it includes Mike Smith
- (as opposed to an article that includes Mike AND Smith)
- ~ # is used to insure that two or more words are found together within a certain number (#) of words
- ("ING bank"~5) OR ("ING banque"~5) signifies that bank or banque must be found within 5 words of ING
- 8. View Study: Queries
- Query keywords PRACTICE to demonstrate query implementation.
- find all car related articles that include Toyota and CARS :
- (Toyota AND (car OR automobile OR vehicle OR cars OR automobiles OR vehicles OR auto OR autos))
- find all car related articles that include GM or General Motors and CARS :
- (("General Motors" OR "GM") AND (car OR automobile OR vehicle OR cars OR automobiles OR vehicles OR auto OR autos))
- CAVEAT : the longer the query (and the more search rules used), the longer the time required to track the project.
- 9. Testing Queries Queries require research and practice . There are a number of blog search engine sites where one can practice a query .
- 10. Testing Queries: Outside A TTENTIO Blog Engine search sites like Technorati and Blogsearchengine , as well as the A TTENTIO sponsored public site Trendpedia are good places to practice different queries . Technorati http://www.technorati.com/ Blog Search Engine http://www.blogsearchengine.com/ Bloglines http://www.bloglines.com/ Google Blog Search http://blogsearch.google.com/ Trendpedia http://www.trendpedia.com/
- 11. Testing Queries: Outside A TTENTIO Forum Engine search sites like Boardreader and Omgili , as well as the A TTENTIO sponsored public site Trendpedia are good places to practice different queries . BoardReader http://boardreader.com/ Omgili http://www.omgili.com/ Boardtracker http://www.boardtracker.com/