How to use Boolean Search Operators in social media
1. Training Manual for Social Media Search Prepared for Attentio Brussels, 29th of April 2008
2. ATTENTIO is the European source for measuring and monitoring Social Media !
To acquaint you with the
Social Media and the
lets go to
For a quick and fun social media tutorial, lets go to Scoopville!
Credit for video goes to CommonCraft at www.commoncraft.com
5. creating queries , the Analysts specialty in measuring and monitoring Social Media through ATTENTIO
6. View Study: Queries To make a good Query, there are certain rules that must be implemented. The idea is to cast a linguistic net as widely as possible but to pick up as little unwanted data as possible.
Query keywords must be made multilingual if the project is to track several linguistic markets.
OR : covers synonyms or alternate words, e.g. car OR cars OR coche OR auto
A query can only include up to 40 OR s
AND : covers the need to include two words together in an article,
e.g. Wheel AND bicycle
The above query tracks only wheels when mentioned in an article with bicycles (not necessarily wheels mentioned in an article with cars)
7. View Study: Queries
Query keywords can include Punctuation to specify certain ideas.
() is used to close off a query: ( wheel AND bicycle ) .
This insures that two items are classified together
is used to contain two words side by side Mike Smith tracks an article only if it includes Mike Smith
(as opposed to an article that includes Mike AND Smith)
~ # is used to insure that two or more words are found together within a certain number (#) of words
("ING bank"~5) OR ("ING banque"~5) signifies that bank or banque must be found within 5 words of ING
8. View Study: Queries
Query keywords PRACTICE to demonstrate query implementation.
find all car related articles that include Toyota and CARS :
(Toyota AND (car OR automobile OR vehicle OR cars OR automobiles OR vehicles OR auto OR autos))
find all car related articles that include GM or General Motors and CARS :
(("General Motors" OR "GM") AND (car OR automobile OR vehicle OR cars OR automobiles OR vehicles OR auto OR autos))
CAVEAT : the longer the query (and the more search rules used), the longer the time required to track the project.
9. Testing Queries Queries require research and practice . There are a number of blog search engine sites where one can practice a query .
10. Testing Queries: Outside A TTENTIO Blog Engine search sites like Technorati and Blogsearchengine , as well as the A TTENTIO sponsored public site Trendpedia are good places to practice different queries . Technorati http://www.technorati.com/ Blog Search Engine http://www.blogsearchengine.com/ Bloglines http://www.bloglines.com/ Google Blog Search http://blogsearch.google.com/ Trendpedia http://www.trendpedia.com/
11. Testing Queries: Outside A TTENTIO Forum Engine search sites like Boardreader and Omgili , as well as the A TTENTIO sponsored public site Trendpedia are good places to practice different queries . BoardReader http://boardreader.com/ Omgili http://www.omgili.com/ Boardtracker http://www.boardtracker.com/