- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty THE DEATH PENALTY.
© 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty THE DEATH PENALTY.
- Slide 1
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty THE DEATH PENALTY
- Slide 2
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty The Death penalty or Capital punishment or is a legal process whereby a person is put to death by the state as a punishment for a crime. The judicial decree that someone be punished in this manner is a death sentence, while the actual enforcement is an execution. Crimes that can result in a death penalty are known as capital crimes or capital offenses.
- Slide 3
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty Vocabulary Decree : An official order that has the force of law Heinous : (Of a person or wrongful act, especially a crime) utterly odious or wicked Deterrent : A thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something Dissuade : Persuade (someone) not to take a particular course of action Instilling : Gradually but firmly establish (an idea or attitude) in a person's mind Remorseful : Filled with deep regret or guilt for a wrong committed Felonies : A crime regarded in the US and many other judicial systems as more serious than a minor wrongdoing
- Slide 4
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty Advantages of Death penalty or Capital punishment It shows that the justice system has no sympathy for the criminals. When criminals escape from the capital punishment, they repeat their crimes and take more innocent lives. The availability of modern testings such as DNA testing reduces the chances of punishing the innocents; therefore, capital punishment can be an effective tool to control the crimes. The death penalty can address the problem of overpopulation in the prisons. It gives closure to the families of the victims who have already suffered a lot. The cost of imprisoning a criminal, serving a life term or otherwise long term, is very expensive when compared with the costs involved in execution of the same person. Capital punishment is, therefore, considered to be cost-effective.
- Slide 5
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty Death penalty is seen as the most extreme form of punishment, which is generally reserved for the most heinous of crimes. It has been argued that capital punishment sets a chilling example for potential criminals and serves as an effective deterrent. It will dissuade criminals-in-the-making by instilling fear in their minds..
- Slide 6
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty Disadvantages of Death penalty or Capital punishment Though there are scientific methods available to investigate the crime, nothing is guaranteed. You cannot remove the chances of punishing innocents completely. The cost involved on the death penalty prosecution is greater than the expenses occurred in the life imprisonment of the accused. It is reported that some of the jury members are not completely impartial as they decide the penalty on racial or religious basis. Some of the accused are mentally ill, and it is ethically wrong to put mentally ill patients to the death. Capital punishment doesn’t give a criminal the opportunity to be remorseful of his deeds. Neither does it treat those, who feel guilty for their crimes, a fair opportunity to improve their behavior.
- Slide 7
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty Some of the experts believe that life in prison is a more effective punishment to control crimes as compared to the death penalty. In most cases people who can afford to hire the expensive lawyers often survived from such kind of capital punishment. People who are poor, and cannot afford to get a quality legal assistance becomes the victim of this penalty. There has also been no concrete evidence that capital punishments have been able to deter potential criminals from committing felonies.
- Slide 8
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty Stoning Electric Chair
- Slide 9
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty Death Penalty Gas Chamber Beheading
- Slide 10
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty HangingMachine/Injection
- Slide 11
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty Burning Firing Squad
- Slide 12
- © 2014 wheresjenny.com The Death Penalty Questions 1) What is your opinion about death penalty? 2) Is it the correct way to penalize the guilty? 3) Is country benefited by giving this punishment to the guilty? 4) Should each country follow the practice of death penalty?