UXWeek 2010 Nicole Lazzaro, XEODesign, Inc. Visit the average workplace and if it were a zoo the humane society would protest! The environment and organizational principals fail to provide the basic mental furniture for workers to focus attention, motivate, collaborate, and to accomplish. No wonder so many struggle with getting things done. Likewise most user experiences fail by ignoring the same simple fact. Human's require emotions to decide. Often ignored by usability, neuroscience now proves that emotion deeply connects decision making and performance. Emotions also coordinate the actions between people. The trick is that emotions and social experiences are emergent qualities that cannot be designed directly. Nicole brings this challenge to life in her workshop. In this interactive XEOPlayShop we will cover how the choices in games craft player emotions to increase engagement. In addition to competition there are game mechanics that increase curiosity and others that create social bonding that makes team work possible. We will examine these 4 Keys to Fun plus new social mechanics from XEODesigns research to see how successful social media and iPhone games offer more playful interfaces that increase engagement, loyalty, and viral distribution. By adding these kinds of choices designers can drive user behavior to create more engaging experiences.
- 1.The Future of UX is Play The 4 Keys to Fun, Emotion, and User Engagement Nicole Lazzaro XEODesign, Inc. August 24, 2010 Follow me on Twitter:@NicoleLazzaroTwitter:#UXWeek Support More Research! Try our iPad Game:Tilt HD: Flips Adventure in 1.5 Dimensions Version 2.0 Includes PlayShop Slides
2. XEODesign, Inc. Player Experience Design The 4 Keys to Fun Every designer should learnto read this language. - Will Wright Interaction > Emotion 3. Tilt is Our Research Platform Winner Best Game 2007 Tiltthe first iPhoneaccelerometer game TiltHD: Flips Adventure in 1.5 Dimensions 250,000 visits #1 Top Free iPad Download Support More Research! Try Tilt HD > 4. Tilt HD: Flips Adventure in 1.5 Dimensions 5. Interaction and Emotion Create Engagement 6. Vision: Gaming TogetherHow will we play in 2020? Egypt: Mankala 7. Imagine 2020 Unlock the Human Potential of 6B People and Improve Quality of Life Through Play 8. Something Was Missing Cognition was Half the Story 9. Since 1850sPhineas Gage Choice Emotion Cognition 10. Player Experiences Experience Design 11.
- How Player Interaction Creates Emotion
12. Without EmotionThere is No Game
13. Interaction Unlocks Emotion Game Design Create Engagement with Emotion and Fun People FunAmusement AmiciAdmiration Ameiro Schadenfreude Hard FunFrustration Fiero Easy Fun Curiosity Wonder Surprise Serious FunExcitement Relaxation Values 14. 15. The Four Keys to Fun Paint Engagement w/ Verbs Emotions to Match Task or Match Your Brand Curiosity Fiero Excitement Relaxation Amusement Naches Schadenfreude Generosity Coordinate Action Inside/Outside Social Grouping Twitter Facebook Flickr Wikipedia Brain Age Wonder Surprise Frustration Focus Attention RewardAccomplishment Challenge andMastery Imagination Express Values Adventure Discovery Figure Out Bejeweled The Sims Create Value Basketball Halo Myst Mob Wars Who Has the Biggest Brain? Farmville Grand Theft Auto Personalize Grow Niche Interests Hard Fun Easy Fun Serious Fun People Fun Putting Emotion into Play XEODesign 16. 17. Measuring Player Emotions How many smiles?[Ekman/Duchenne] 18. Measuring Player Emotions Orbicularis Oculi < --- 19.
- Its easy to tell what games my husband enjoys the most...
- - Wife of a Hard Core PC Gamer
20. Hard Fun: Challenge + Mastery Cant Push a Button and Win (Unlike Usability) B A 21. Hard Fun: Challenge + Mastery Games Focus Attention with Goal and Constraints: Frustration and Fiero o/
modified from Flow Csikszentmihalyi 22. 1. Hard Fun = Fieroo/ 23. Do you play follow the leader to increase yourpersonal hype quotient? What would encourage idea exchange? Personal Hype Quotient 24. Simplify World, Provide Clear Goals, Amplify Feedback 25. Hard Fun 26. Hard Fun: Challenge + Mastery Games Focus Attention with Goal and Constraints: Frustration and Fiero o/ 27. Hard Fun Challenge and mastery Super Monkey Ball Tilt 28.
Hard Fun: Mastery, Fiero Easy Fun: Novelty>Curiosity modified from Flow Csikszentmihalyi player choice rewards effort 29. 1. Hard Fun and Tilt Factor
- Temptation is to add features and take advantage of friends
- Mistake to spam friends to max installs and create illusion of social capital
- Play to edges of network vs. deepening social bonds
Increase the number of players by keeping game mechanics simple, mobile, and frictionless. 30. Viral Distribution Use Hard Fun goals and points to coordinate individual actions to everyone interacting Microchannels 31. Simple and Short Games A B Technology Adoption Curve Numberof players Mass Market Diffusion of Innovation , Everett Rogers Crossing the Chasm , Geoffrey Moore Smaller, stilltasty fish! Time The Social Web 15% 70% 15% DICE 2007 32. Appealing Fantasy Area Under the Curve Matters numberof players A B C D Type of Challenge Wanna play? DICE 2007 33.
Fiero o/ Frustration 34. Easy Fun: Exploration + RoleplayBeyond challenge adding curves makes game more fun B A 35. Easy Fun: Exploration + Roleplay Feedback Systems that Inspire Curiosity, Wonder, Creativity, and Exploration 36. Easy Fun: makes choice more interesting 37. Fish Tank1 Player Choice and Curiosity from Easy Fun 38. Fish Tank 3 Player Choice and Curiosity from Easy Fun 39. Pure Joy of Interaction Koi Pondand Urbanspoon 40. Joy of Controls:Tilt HD: Flips Adventure in 1.5 Dimensions 41. 2. Easy Fun:Imagination Creates Curiosity
choices novelty fills attention 42. Increase Curiosity 43. Easy Fun 44. Easy Fun: Exploration + Roleplay Feedback Systems that Inspire Curiosity, Wonder, Creativity, and Exploration 45. 2. Easy Fun Gameplay for Everyone
- "Everything should be as easy as placing a sticker" #Little Big Planet
- Dont require standing on your head to play
- Address usability issues to get off the starting block
- Offer small, simple, and appealing gameplay with drop dead simple participation.
46. Easy Fun 47. Examples
Easy Fun Exploration StarWalk iPhone / iPad 48. Appealing + Easy ParticipationPuzzle Pirates, LostZombies.com 49.
- Easy Fun Inspires and Refreshes
Creativity Wonder Curiosity Exploration Surprise 50. Serious Fun: Create ValuePlay Brain Age to Get Smarter or DDR to Loose Weight Adds Emotion and Engagement B A 51. Serious Fun: Create Value Systems Create: Excitement, Relaxation, Learning, Enhance Sense of Value
52. Environmental Values Increase Engagement.Tilt: Flips Adventure in 1.5 Dimensions $ # 53. Serious Fun me friends community world 54. Serious Fun 55. Amplify Feedback 56. Peggle: Amplify Feedback 57. 58. Serious Fun: Create Value Systems Create: Excitement, Relaxation, Learning, Enhance Sense of Value 59. 3. Serious Fun Create Value
- Gameplay: enhance gameplay w/o buying advantage
- Social Features: create more fun with friends
- Connect gameplay, social features, and Tilt Factor to monetize game.
Change how players think, feel, behave. Let them express their values. 60. Serious Fun: Motion X Poker Completion Collection and Matching Mechanics 61. Serious Fun: Brain Baths,Tap Tap Revolution Change how you think, feel, and behave 62. The Elements: Interactive Illustrations 63.
- Serious Fun Provides Meaning
Learning Excitement Relaxation Connection to Values 64. People Fun: Friendship More Fun with Friends B A 65. People Fun:Hang Out w/Friends Systems Create: Amusement, Amici, Admiration, Ameiro, Schadenfreude Over the Shoulder Play 250,000 visits Farmville Petting my iPhoneMakes me happy! 66. Wonder and Connection Ocarina: Easy Fun and People Fun 67. Flipboard 68. People Fun Amici TiltWorld.com Cute Characters Change How it Feels to Play 69. People Fun: Moving Together and Teasing 70. People Fun Emotions how do bonds form during player experience (PX)?
PX Profile 71. Social EmotionsDrive Viral Distribution gameplay biz model increase# of players social features friends messages actions personalize feedback connect 72. People Fun 73. People Fun:Hang Out w/Friends Systems Create: Amusement, Amici, Admiration, Ameiro, Schadenfreude 74. Emotions from social play: People Fun - WOW 75. 4. People Fun and Social Features
- People Fun has more emotions than other 3 keys combined
- Social marketing creates shared experiences not eyeballs
- Make game part of making / maintaining friends
- Game is the message passed between friends
- Social features = games voice into players realities
Share Spam: Offer features that create social emotions to weave social bonds between players. 76. People Fun: ARG and Puzzle Hunts 77. People Fun Feeling of being closer creates social fabric between people FriendshipCapital $ Facts Winner Best Game 2008 TattleTalz.com How doeshe feel? 78. Target Social Emotions @ RT DM #iPhone Personal HypeQuotient 79. Lines of InteractionCreate More Emotion 80. MSO: 3 Laws of Social Play for viral social games (this is what we do know) this is what the play will look like
- Social Tokenssymbolic in nature thatincreases in value with use
stupid shutup dope hotness sloth poke pwn share link frag compare Lazzaro GDC 2008 81. Mango = Social Tokensymbolic in nature thatincreases in value with use
Amici + Grooming Amiero + Reciprocity 82. = Admiration Epic Armor = Horse Stable 83. Players Pay for Admiration 84. Social EmotionsDrive Viral Distribution gameplay biz model increase# of players social features friends messages actions personalize feedback connect Features tobuild now 85.
- Teamwork Requires People Fun
Amusement Ameiro Schadenfreude Amici Admiration Naches 86. Game = Motivating System
- Innovate faster than productivity apps
- More human factors than ease of use
- users: game interfaces support multiple roles
- Interaction design already speaks this language of emotion
- Social emotions drive all Web 2.0
- Interaction Creates Emotion
88. Just Imagine 2020 Everyone Going to Work with an Expectation of Fun 89. 90. Join Us!Play! Its what people do.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1. Beyond Game Design, Bateman
- 2. Game Usability, Isbister
- 3. Human-Computer Interaction Handbook, Jako
Tilt HD: Flips Adventure in 1.5 Dimensions Game On! o/ xeodesign.com/uxweek Top Secret URL! Want? Get!