2. Agenda P2P Definition Evolution of P2P Case Study Question and Answer
3. Agenda P2P Definition Evolution of P2P Case Study Question and Answer
4. History of file sharing Single Server Upload file to server Server overload and limitation of Bandwidth Whole file only Separate not work Multiple Server
5. History of file sharing P2P File Directly send from client to client Less load on Server No bottleneck
6. Agenda P2P Definition Evolution of P2P Napster KaZaa Bittorrent Case Study Question and Answer
7. Napster The first world champion of free music downloads
8. History Founded in 1999 by at age of 19 !!! Specialized exclusively in music in the form of MP3 files Presented a friendly user-interface Shawn Fanning Sean Parker
9. History In February 2001 the program hit global use by 26.4 million users
10. How the old Napster worked? Friendly user-interface and easy to use just Opened Napster Utilities Search for the song you wanted Napster Index Server provided the list of the Napster client which had that song Click Download
11. How the old Napster worked?
12. Legal Challenges New songs leaked in Napster network before they were released Filing a lawsuit by Metallica Dr. Dre Madonna Etc A&M Records and others sued Napster in 2000
13. Legal Challenges Napster lost the case Could continue its business with non-infringing uses Shutdown its service in July 2001 Bankrupt in 2002
14. Here and Now Acquired at bankruptcy auction by Roxio, Inc. Purchased by Best Buy, Inc. at $121 million Business Model Changed Get Free Stream songs up to 3 times each After that (if you like that song) you have to Purchase the track Or Subscribe with Napster $5 Gets You 5 MP3s andUnlimited On-Demand Streaming Music
15. Here and Now
16. What is Kazaa?
17. Kazaa is a peer-to-peer file sharing application using the FastTrack protocol and owned by Sharman Networks.
18. How was it used? Kazaa is commonly used to exchange files MP3s Videos Applications Other documents
19. Difference from Napster There is no single list from single server. It used Fast Track Protocol.
20. Against the law suite RIAA filed lawsuit against 261 individuals Court Order To filter Copyright content Napsterwas ordered to shutdown Court reversean earlier judgment 2001-Jun 2002-Mar 2003-Feb 2005-Sep 2001-Mar 2001-Nov 2002-OCt 2004-Feb Kazaawas founded Consumer Empowerment was sued by Dutch Sharmanwas suein LA. Sharman was used in Australia
21. Against the law suite
23. Bittorrent Protocol Developed by Bram Hohen (2001) by Python it has been estimated that it accounts for approximately 27-55% of all Internet traffic (depending on geographical location) as of February 2009
24. Bittorrent Concept Solve Problem about inequality speed of upload and download & Server overloaded File Separation, Parallel Download. Idea from MojoNation : split a single file into pieces Motto : Give and ye shall received Seeder : Original Source, Upload Only. Leecher (Peer) : Sender(Upload) and Receiver(Download)
27. Bittorrent Conponent Client : Tracker Client Program Server : Collect Torrent File & Tracker Close System Member/ Ratio (Upload / Download) Open System Torrent File
28. Advantage / Limitation Advantage Higher Speed Enable to transfer bigger file Limitation Speed depends on No. of peers Problem with streaming file
29. Why They cant sue Bittorrent? if it can be used for legal purposes. BitTorrent passes that test, says Fred von Lohmann, a lawyer at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, because Linux groups and videogame companies regularly use it to shuttle software around the Net. "That puts Bram in the same situation as Xerox and its photocopiers.