Shows research done to look at what the size of a business persons personal network is, and what motivates them to influence others.What makes something viral.
Text of Cnet Networks Business Influencer Research
1. 2007 Influencer Study A New Model for Influentials March 2007
2. Influence Is a Hot Topic It matters. It is not well understood.
What is influence?
How does it work?
What role do our sites play?
Internet survey: January 07
CNET Networks Business sites:
Control Group: Use portals for Tech content
5. What Is Influence?
6. What Is a Personal Network for CNET Networks Business member? People you communicate with regularly Neighbors Adult family Co-workers Church/Civic groups Close friends Casual friends 9 7 13 4 19 9
7. Different People, Different Networks 11-99 Connections Average ~ 42 Moderately Connected Less Connected 10 or Fewer Connections Average ~ 6 Highly Connected 100+ Connections Average ~ 162 Casual friends Neighbors Adult family Co-workers Church/Civic Close friends
8. Impact of Technology
9. Most People Live in the Middle 100+ Connections 11-99 Connections 10 or Fewer Connections
10. The Real Shape of Influence Highly Connected Moderately Connected Less Connected
11. How Does Influence Work?
12. What Motivates Influence? Knowledge Confidence Influence Self-Worth
13. Flow of Information among CNB members PUSH PULL Less Connected Moderately Connected Highly Connected 56% 70% 74% Love to tell people about something new Ive learned 56% 70% 80% People ask my opinion and often follow my advice
14. What Are They Talking About? Lots of Things. 11 11 10 Average # Topics of Interest Highly Connected Moderately Connected Less Connected
15. Emergence of the Sleuth
Not an expert, but savvy at finding credible info
Enabled by the web
Often forwards links
16. In Their Own Words Pete, CEO on 3 rd Tech Start Up Uses CNET and Tech Republic I would say influencing in a given week 20 to 30. Maybe more. Maybe 50. I think coming to me is maybe a little misleading because like I said I tend to put myself in the middle of these situations. I guess I get satisfaction out of it. Like Im going through all of these different Web sites to get something for me but I tend to retain a lot of information and I just kind of sock it away. So when people present problems whether they directly ask or I just observe I want to put that puzzle together. I want to put that piece where it fits. I want to justify all of that time spent on the Web site.
17. What Role Do CNET Networks Business Sites Play?