Presentation to the IBM Drupal Users Group on improving configuration management in Drupal using the Features module and exportables. This is becoming a best practice for configuration management.
1. Managing and deploying conguration ...with exportables and the Features module http://drupal.org/project/features
2. Jeff Miccolis, Development Seed
3. We build websites
4. We build web apps
5. ...we decided to host our Drupal environment using virtualization. This allowed us to build and test the Drupal environment locally and easily ship the entire virtual machine to the production hosting platform. 19 Dec 2006 http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibm/library/i-osource12/
6. Using open source software to design, develop, and deploy a collaborative Web site, Part 12: Hosting and deploying http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibm/library/i-osource12/
7. This presentation is about making Drupal better at dealing with these problems.
8. In four parts 1. Problem 2. Solution 3. Best Practices 4. Distributing
9. 1. The Problem
10. Drupals strength is its weakness.
11. No distinction between conguration & content.
12. The Workow Problem
13. Development: where the action happens.
14. Staging: where its reviewed.
15. Production: http://www.mysite.com
16. FYI, developing on the live site is a bad idea, always.
17. This is a story... http://developmentseed.org/blog/2009/jul/09/development- staging-production-workow-problem-drupal
18. Round one goes ne. Developer, designer & client get the site out the door.
19. Round two is a PITA. New views build on development Rebuild on staging Rebuild on development Rebuild on staging Rinse, Repeat. Rebuild on production.
20. Round two is a PITA. Requires extensive note taking Prone to human error Loads of repeated tasks
21. Not having a distinction between conguration and code is bigger that just this one aspect.
22. 2. The Solution IMHO
23. Make a distinction between conguration & content
24. ...and write the conguration to code.
25. Whats in code goes in version control.
26. g 1: Conguration components of a feature. This belongs in your codebase.
27. Features module semantics
28. Feature: module that contains collection of Drupal parts that do something specic.
29. Features: Drupal module that allows for the capture of conguration into code.
30. feature: something you want your website to do.
31. features: a set of things you want your website to do.
32. Yes, Im sorry. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
33. The Features module makes Feature modules, which have...