Dr. Norman Lewis says that kids today look at technology as a means for self expression. So his key point is that kids are drawn to technology not because of the coolness of tech or innovation, but more as a means of interaction.
Text of Digital Kids and Disruption
1. You ain't seen anything yet Digital children and the futureof disruptive innovationNorman Lewis WGC MobilecampLondonSaturday 29 September2007
2. Insane moments
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again
and expect different results !
3. 4. Digital Children
An important motifof the process of the internalisation of digital technology into childhood is tension between the agenda of adults and those of young people
5. A clash of cultures?
Parents regard new technology as an educational tool while children regard it as a medium of entertainment and connectivity;
Parents approach to the new media is underwritten by the imperative of risk minimisation while children use it in part to gain a measure of freedom from adult supervision.
6. The evasion of the adult gaze The changing character of childhood particularly the shift from outdoors to indoors - means children want digital applications that are under their control, help them to pass time, provide entertainment, connect with peers and evade adult supervision 7. Self-expression as a state of being
Young people are facing not so much a problem of communication but that of self-expression
8. Identity and reputation 9. Creativity and sharing
The search for acknowledgment is the key to online activity
self-expression as itselfa form of communication
11. Communicationhas become modified 12. Yesterday 13. Today 14.
the communication of content has become less significant than the network of communication
15. Collage cultureand digital expertise
Young people are drawn to technologies that are readily personalised and which can be used individually;
Maintaining ones social status depends onthe ability to personalise new technology;
Skills are acquired incidentally while popular culture becomes a palette with which to paint the self.
16. Myths 17. Children are not naturallygood with technology 18. 19. 20. Enormous creative potential 21. 22. 23. 24. Thank You [email_address] www.wgrids.com Skype: nolewis21