Behavioral TrackingBehavioral Targeting From Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia
Behavioral targeting is a technique used by online publishers and advertisers to increase the eff ectiveness of their campaigns.
Behavioral targeting uses information collected on an individual's web-browsing behavior, such as the pages they have visited or the searches they have made, to select which advertisements to display to that individual. Practitioners believe this helps them deliver their online advertisements to the users who are most likely to be interested.
Behavioral marketing can be used on its own or in conjunction with other forms of targeting based on factors like geography, demographics or the surrounding content.
Marketers are always looking for the most effective way to put their
message in front of the right audience at the right time. Major
business advertisers are seeking to overcome increasing, audience
fragmentation and longer purchase cycles.
You…the publisher is being asked to provide a solution.
Spending on behaviorally targeted ads is growing fast…
2007 : $350,000,000
2008 : $525,000,000
2009 : $775,000,000
2010 : $1,100,000,000
WHAT CAN HELP YOU ?
Mozilla provides us with a very effective tool to keep a watch on all the trackers who TRACK us.
Collusion is an experimental add-on for Firefox and allows you to see all the third parties that are tracking your movements across the Web. It will show, in real time, how that data creates a spider-web of interaction between companies and other trackers.
Who earns from it and how ?
If a user clicks on an advertisement (in the ‘cost-per-click’ model), the ad
network collects payment from the corresponding advertiser, and pays out a
part of it to the publisher
Pay per click (PPC) (also called cost per click) is an internet
advertising model used to direct traffic to websites, in which advertisers pay
the publisher (typically a website owner) when the ad is clicked. It is defined
simply as “the amount spent to get an advertisement clicked
WHAT IT DOES ?
After you download and install Collusion in Firefox , you can "see who is tracking you across the Web and following you through the digital woods
memory of the Internet is forever. We are being watched. It's now time for us to watch the watchers.“
Lets see how it does ?
• I've been using Collusion for some time now and it is jaw-dropping to watch all the sites that still stalk us across the web even with DNT(Do Not Track) and privacy add-ons.
• After a normal search done by any student…his graph can go as messy as this…
Even when you open 3-4 websites …..
almost 20 websites are tracking you without your permission
This is a graph which shows when only 4 sites were opened.
Tracking the trackers: who are the companies monitoring us online
• The Tracker Block extension has more options, specific to your web browser, including Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome. Tracker Block stops tracking by blocking specific companies from reading or writing cookies through your web browser. Tracker Block also deletes other files, like Flash cookies, that tracking companies may leave on your computer.
• Tracker Block automatically updates your block list with new tracking companies.
Simple Changes to Stop Online Tracking
• Install Adblock Plus
• Change Cookie Settings
• Turn Off Referers
• Install HTTPS Everywhere
Block hundreds of sneaky trackers
WE cant help it out !!!!
• Even by using privacy add-ons and telling sites not to track you, tracking that builds behavior profiles is out of control.