In Jesus, we find not only our salvation, but also our sanity. This message was given on February 9, 2014 at New City Church in Calgary by Pastor John Ferguson. For more info go to: www.newcitychurch.ca.
Text of Sermon Slides: "The Supernatural Authority Of Jesus" (Luke 8:26-39)
1. The Supernatural Authority of Jesus ~ Luke 8:26-39 ~ image: Katie McKeown
2. God Gives Us His Words of Eternal Life Todays Scripture: Luke 8:26-39 Found on page 865 in our guest Bibles.
5. Well, there are all manner of lesser imps and demons, Pete, but the great Satan himself is red and scaly with a bifurcated tale, and he carries a hay fork. ~ Ulysses Everett McGill, O Brother Where Art Thou?
6. There still persists the quaint superstition that only that which is visible is real. ~ Dr. Tom More
7. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. ~ Shakespeares Hamlet
8. The Supernatural Authority of Jesus ~ Luke 8:26-39 ~ image: Katie McKeown
9. Be on the lookout for... 1 The Authority of Jesus 2 The Response(s) to Jesus
10. Luke 8:26-27 Then they sailed to the country of the Gerasenes, which is opposite Galilee. When Jesus had stepped out on land, there met him a man from the city who had demons. For a long time he had worn no
11. Luke 8:26-27 clothes, and he had not lived in a house, but among the tombs. [Night and day among the tombs and on the mountains he was always crying out and bruising himself with stones (Mk. 5:5)]
13. Demonology 101 Demons are fallen angels (2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6) Satan is a Heb. term = adversary (1 Pet. 5:8-9)
14. Demonology 101 Demons are fallen angels (2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6) Satan is a Heb. term = adversary (1 Pet. 5:8-9) Satan is the leader of demons (Rev. 12:9)
15. Demonology 101 Demons are fallen angels (2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6) Satan is a Heb. term = adversary (1 Pet. 5:8-9) Satan is the leader of demons (Rev. 12:9) Satans tactics involve lies & deception (John 8:44)
16. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your fathers desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. ~ Jesus of Nazareth in The Gospel of John (8:44)
17. Demonology 101 Demons are fallen angels (2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6) Satan is a Heb. term = adversary (1 Pet. 5:8-9) Satan is the leader of fallen angels (Rev. 12:9) Satans tactics involve lies & deception (Rev. 12:9) Satan hates humanity b/c he hates God, and humans bear the image of God (Gen. 2-3)
18. Luke 8:28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out and fell down before him and said with a loud voice, What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, do not torment me.
19. What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? ~ Gospel of Luke (4:34) the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. ~ Jesus of Nazareth in the Gospel of Matthew (25:41)
20. ~ The Apostle John in Revelation 20:10 and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
21. Luke 8:29 For he had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. (For many a time it had seized him. He was kept under guard and bound with chains and shackles, but he would break the bonds and be
22. Luke 8:29 driven by the demon into the desert).
23. Luke 8:30-31 Jesus then asked him, What is your name? And he said, Legion, for many demons had entered him. And they begged him not to command them to depart into the abyss.
24. We can smell the fear of the demons in the way they pleaded with Jesus. Some people may not believe in hell, but the demons certainly do.
25. Luke 8:32-33 Now a large herd of pigs [numbering about 2000 (Mk. 5:13)] was feeding there on the hillside, and they begged him to let them enter these. So he gave them permission. Then the demons came out of the man and entered the pigs, and the herd rushed down the
26. Luke 8:33-34 steep bank and were drowned. When the herdsmen saw what had happened, they ed and told it in the city and in the country.
27. Luke 8:35-36 Then the people went out to see what had happened, and they came to Jesus and found the man from whom the demons had gone, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind, and they were afraid. And those who had seen it told them
28. Luke 8:36-37 how the demon-possessed man had been healed. Then all the people of the surrounding country of the Gerasenes asked him to depart from them, for they were seized with great fear. So he got into the boat and returned.
29. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ. ~ The Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 4:4
30. Luke 8:38-39 The man from whom the demons had gone out begged that he might be with him, but Jesus sent him away saying, Return to your home, and
31. Luke 8:38-39 declare how much God has done for you. And he went away, proclaiming how much Jesus had done for him.
32. Important Question Why does Luke record this account in his historical biography of Jesus?