This slideshow used in closing session at 2010 International URISA GIS-Pro Conference, Orlando, Florida
Text of URISA GIS-Pro: Digging Deeper, Digging In Numbers
1. Digging Deeper Digging in Numbers Zsolt Nagy, GISP #15555
2. Digging DeeperDigging in Numbers
3. Digging DeeperDigging in Numbers One Government - Governance - One Map Advocacy and Organization Conference Priorities and Directions
4. Digging DeeperIdeas, Organization, Collaboration, Time Steven Johnson Where Good Ideas Come From www.youtube.com/watch?v=NugRZGDbPFU
5. One Government - Governance - One Map Advocacy and Organization Conference Priorities and Directions One Government - One Map
6. Hurrah for all the. neMaps URISAs ESIG Awards recognize exceptional achievements in the application of information technology that have improved the delivery and quality of government services. URISA is pleased to announce the winners of this years ESIG Awards. ENTERPRISE SYSTEMS CATEGORY Systems in this category are outstanding and working examples of using information systems technology in a multi-department environment as part of an integrated process. These systems exemplify effective use of technology yielding widespread improvements in the process(es) and/or service(s) involved and/or cost savings to the organization. 2010 ESIG Winner: OneMap - A Multi-Agency Window for Geospatial Information and Service Delivery Singapore Land AuthoritySubmitted by: Lim Ming Khai, Head, GeoSpatial Operations & Development, GeoSpatial Division, Singapore Land Authority www.onemap.sg/index.html
8. Your plan arkansas plan $15,000,000 Endorsed by county commissioners
13. Maturity ModelCannot manage what you cannot measure
14. beyond the measuring..ROI We are sales people we need to sell what we do soft skills. To help expedite. GIS Pro Problem Session
16. ADVOCACY AND ORGANIZATION One Government - Governance - One Map Advocacy and Organization Conference Priorities and Directions
17. What exactly is national geospatial? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q_f7L6GQuI&feature=player_embedded
20. Published Structured Process Evolves Message Sustained over time Flexible Implementation
24. Quickly learned we cant go it alone. Just one dissenting voice and the momentum could be lost or dead on arrival.
25. Also, quickly learned that point to point affiliations can be effective, but is not enough and there is much overhead in managing multiple relationships.
26. COGO APA
27. One Government - Governance - One Map Advocacy and Organizat ion Conference Priorities and Directions PRIORITIES AND DIRECTIONS
28. URISA Chapter Roll Call
29. Carolina ChapterJames Armstrong Lack of Training Lack of Understanding of GIS at Upper Management Level. Lack of Funding for direction.
30. N. California ChapterDan Henderson Talk as if youre right Listen as if youre wrong Communication within membership is key and then leverage across national and international Survey Monkey worked nicely.
31. N. Rockies ChapterDonna Phillips Mostly Idaho Mostly public sector survey replies Management needs to know about ROI and Benefits, Cost savings, including equipment Lack of Funds. If above is addressed then this becomes solved Training
32. Alberta ChapterCindy Post Losing local pool.Private industry wants outsourcing. Dollars going overseas. *** Hiring and cutbacks. Example of 200 applicants for job opening Data rigor. People want fast and cheap. Losing the details of benefits for spatial data.
33. Oregon Washington ChapterBob Hass Dealing with finances and lack of resources for software/hardware, No entry level jobs Keeping up with rate of change. Technology Management and Institutional issues. GIS is not fully utilized, IT is reluctant to acknowledge GIS
34. Florida ChapterBill Walter Training. On-line. on your desktop training. Organizational lack of champions in the organizations. Training. GIS integration with business process Funding. Ties into above
35. Quebec Chapter (25 years)YvanSevigny Lack of Funding Managers need to be better informed Training
37. Ohio ChapterEmily Whitehead Funding cuts, staff cuts, training Survey monkey helpful to communicate benefits
38. New England ChapterFeng Yang Data Issues, maintenance, lack of understanding, importance of data, interstate inconsistency, data sharing policy is not normalized. Lack of intergovernmental collaboration Funding - a-h, strategic plan, programming Workforce requirements for continuing professional and career development and training support
39. Chicago Chapter? Training Non GIS Staff training ? ?
40. Alaska ChapterLuke Boggess Funding. Need Lots of project funding. Industry doesnt share content USGS quads is only dataset they have statewide. Data Quality, Data Cost, Data Accuracy
41. Mid Atlantic Chapter? Already began outreach program_ spoke to political leaders. Spring meeting. *** Working towards synergy within region Management Training
42. Louisiana ChapterKatherine Cargo Funding Lack of Leader Support for integrating GIS and breaking down the silo. Need tech support and resources to keep up with technology trends.
43. Roll CallSummary Points Training Data Management and Quality Workforce Issues Funding Executive Support Communication
44. Roll Call Corrections?
45. Roll Call 2 Days Later Thoughts?
46. Roll Call As Chapter Leaders, how will you engage your community on AA beginning next week?
47. Roll Call How will we twist the problems statements into constructive actionable agenda items?