Writing letters and application in today's business world.
Text of Skills of writing in corporate world
1. Unit - 3
2. Writing is the formal way of expressing our thoughts. Written communication is transmitted by written words in the form of letters, reports, notices etc. It generally moves downwards. Written communication has great significance in todays business world.
3. Used to issue specific instructions and orders to the subordinates It is the only way out when the message is quite lengthy and it is not possible to convey all the points through oral communication. It serves as a reliable record for future reference. It is more clear and specific Feedback is generally well thought out because the receiver gets the sufficient time to understand and evaluate the message.
4. Written communication is time-consuming Feedback is not immediate If the message is poorly drafted, it may create misunderstanding and confusion in the mind of the receiver. If the receivers of the written message are separated by distance and if they need to clear their doubts, the response is not spontaneous. Once a written message has been dispatched, there is little scope left for making amends for the inaccuracy that may have crept into it.
5. The first task of writing effectively is to identify the purpose of the communication. There are mainly two purpose of writing- To inform : When the writer seeks to give information and offer to explain it, the writing is called informative writing. The focus of informative writing is on the subject of the matter under discussion. It presents the information and not opinions. To persuade: It aims at convincing the reader about the matter. It expresses opinions rather than facts. It focuses on the reader. Writer attempts to change the readers thinking, and bring it closer to his own way of thinking. There has to be supporting evidence or facts to back the writers opinion or point of view.
6. Effective business writing meets five basic principles :- Clear Complete Correct It saves the readers time It builds goodwill.
7. Writing Skills Amendment Editing First Drafting Planning
8. In the initial phase of writing skill that is planning which involves a close study or examination of the basic elements of a message such as, purpose of communication, medium, selection of thoughts, audience analysis, statistics related to the message and to prepare the message in an organized and meticulous manner. The thought process should also be considered for planning. The following 5 points deserve attention:- i) object of communication ii) audience analysis iii) selection of thoughts iv) collection of data and facts according to thoughts v) to prove proper sequence of message.
9. Two of the most important positions in any business message are the opening and closing paragraphs. -- Murphy Remember : First impressions are lasting. & We remember best what we read last .
10. Here the contents of the first draft are prepared according to which the thoughts are translated in words and words into sentences are divided into paragraphs. The relevant facts and quotations are also incorporated to substantiate the message which may be formal or informal. First draft can follow the following styles: (i) Linear style (ii) Circular style
11. Linear Style : in this, the thoughts are assorted one after the other. Circular Style : in this, the thoughts are presented in a circular style which is more flexible and the facts are juxtaposed simultaneously in this style. While preparing the first draft, more emphasis should be given to your style, tone and use of attitude(positive), as it must help to establish credibility.
12. It refers to an overhauling the draft by excluding the unwanted or surplus or ineffective elements and including something more viable. It also involves grammatical corrections along with the collection of thoughts and their denotative or connotative words are re-examined, the language re-structured before giving any definite stage. The stage can also be termed as under-treatment or rewriting.
13. This is the final or concluding phase in the process and the art of writing skill is a subject to rigorous analysis. In editing, it is reviewed and examined if any shortcoming is left in the structure of the message. In this condition, sentence formation, pronunciation or accent and grammatical accuracy, etc., can be improved upon. The following steps has to be taken care of :- 1. Use of pure and comprehensive vocabulary. 2. Use of strong words as far as possible. 3. Use of familiar but effective words. 4. Use of short words to minimize misunderstanding. 5. Editing 6. The subject matter be paragraphed.
14. The answers to the following queries lead to an effective writing: 1) Why to write? 2) For whom to write? 3) What to write? 4) Where to write? 5) When to write? 6) How to write?
15. The solution to the problems lies here under: Writing should be practical. Writing should be epigrammatic and terse. Unity in Writing. Precision cum concision in language. Comprehensive Writing. Avoid using undesirable words. Always use polite and courteous and familiar words. Avoid inflammatory or inciting language. Writing should be real and believable. Writing should be according to the subject. Writing must be brief.
16. WRITTEN BUSINESS COMMUNICATION
17. Written business communication in the modern times refers to letters, advertisements / memos, reports, speech- writing and many other writing activities. Few examples and means of written business communication are given as here under : 1) Newspapers, magazines, bulletins, hand-books and diaries. 2) Suggestions 3) Business journals 4) Organizational schedules 5) Standing orders, rules and regulation book 6) Teleprinter 7) Annual reports 8) Agenda, minutes, publications and reports, etc.
18. Validity Compulsory need Stability Reality
19. More effective than personal contact Easy maintenance Redressal of grievance / complaints Expansion of business area Multiple contacts More effective Goodwill Easy disapproval of unpleasant message Creativity Inexpensive Proof
21. In business communication, the sender should ensure that he or she I communicating with you-attitude. You-attitude means conveying the message from reader's point of view and emphasizing on the contents that reader intends to know while showing him respect. You-attitude is a style of writing that - Looks at things from the readers point of view. Respects the readers intelligence. Protects the readers ego. Emphasizes what the reader wants to know. You-attitude is a concrete way of showing empathy for the reader.
22. 1) Talk about the receiver not about yourself 2) Do not talk about feelings 3) Use You and We more than I in positive situation 4