13. FindOrganizeDocumentDeidentifyFormatAskSubmitAnswer questionsWorry about mistakes being foundWorry about data being misinterpretedWorry about being scoopedForgo money and IP and prestige???
14. not very motivating.
15. Is archiving dataimportant?Are we sure?
16. Errors.More than half of all papers contain errors5-10% contain errors that change the conclusions Gore et al 1977, Kantoer and Taylor 1994, McGuigan 1995, Hurlbert and White 1993
17. Ok, lets share onrequest.
18. Doesnt workself-reported denying a request in last 3 years trainees self-reported denying a request been denied access to data, materials, code authors not able to retrieve raw data not willing to release data 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% Campbell et al. JAMA. 2002. Kyzas et al. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005. Vogeli et al. Acad Med. 2006. Reidpath et al. Bioethics 2001.
19. Dont get the email Evangelou et al. FASEB J. 2006. Wren. Bioinformatics 2008. Wren et al. EMBO Rep 2006.
20. Say nowant to publish more papers first want exclusive use ensure data confidentiality control avoid cost of preparation 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% Hedstrom. Society of Am Archivists Ann Meeting. 2008.
21. Ask why`Before I send you the data could I ask what you want it for?`Can you be more explicit, please, about the analyses you have in mind and what you plan to do with them?`Well have to discuss your request with the other coauthors. Before we do that, Id like to know your proposed analysis plan. `We are not nished using the data, but when we are nished with it, we would be open to requests for the data.`Any use of the data other than for the specic purpose laid down in the contract of collaboration is eectively ruled out. Reidpath et al. Bioethics 2001.
22. Not efficient.
23. Not efficient.Not fair. Not random: - young - productive Campbell et all 2000
24. Has real costs.Survey of doctoral students and postdocs:28-50% reported withholding negative effects: hurt progress of their research, hurt rate of discovery in their lab/research group, hurt quality of their relationships with academic scientists, hurt quality of their education, hurt level of communication in their lab/research group. Vogeli et al. Acad Med. 2006 Feb; 81(2):128-36
25. Need help.
26. Librarians are good athelping.
27. This issue needs you.
29. By request doesnt work
30. On a lab website?No. Urls stop working. Evangelou et al. FASEB J. 2006. Wren. Bioinformatics 2008. Wren et al. EMBO Rep 2006.
31. In a data repository!
32. Discipline repository
33. Datatype repository
34. Journal repository
35. Institutional repository
36. X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X XX X X X X X
37. Whats best?
38. It depends.
39. We dont know.
40. Institutionalrepositories shouldjoin in.
41. ... but only ifcommittedto trying to do it right
42. -> Librarians knowabout this stuff!
45. educate repositories
46. educate repositories(doing repositorieswell is hard!)
48. educate researchers
49. You know your data.We know long termpreservation.Lets talk.