- Enriching the learning experience through interactive course content
Enriching the learning experience through interactive course content
Enriching the learning experience through interactive course contentKyle GoslinMarkus HofmannInstitute of Technology Blanchardstown
- 1. Enriching the learning experience through interactive course content Kyle Goslin Markus Hofmann
- 2. Overview What we do Course content filter using metadata Visual map tool for Moodle Deaf studies lecture presentation tool
- 3. What we do Over the last number of years we have been developing Moodle plugins for a wide variety of tasks. Main aim of our research is to enrich the learning experience of users Moodle related research and development has been on going for a number of years at the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown. Today you can see 3 of the plugins we developed!
- 4. Course content filter using metadataAim: Allow educator to tag learning objects that can bedynamically filtered by the learnerSolution: Add a filter to the top of the course page
- 5. Course content filter using metadata Some learners do not want to see all of the learning objects at the same time. The scroll of death causing problems - (weve seen some nice solutions yesterday!)
- 6. Course content filter using metadata
- 7. Course content filter using metadata Things do not always work out as we would have wished. Although a very nice tool, one main draw back is that additional fields need to be added into the editing process to allow the learning objects to be tagged. Works really well with a defined set of resource that you know will be added. E.g. HTML Page / Files / text page
- 8. Visual Map Tool for MoodleAim: We wanted to find a way to visualize the learningobjects on a Moodle course page.Solution: Create a flash based visual map tool forMoodle.
- 9. Visual Map Tool for Moodle Learners, especially those with learning difficulties find visualization to be very useful. Visual mapping tool have exist, but none that allow for resources to be easily mapped. Two Modes: Simple Viewer mode for students Editing mode for educators
- 10. Visual Map Tool for Moodle All available resources on the course page become blocks in visual map tool. Simple grouping of blocks. Simple XML based structure created and then parsed to generate the visual map. Allows for customization of colours. Custom text for groupings.
- 11. Deaf studies lecture presentation plugin Aim: Create a presentation tool that allowed the educator to display signed video content and marked up lecture content at the same time. Solution: Simple Moodle plugin with embedded Jwplayer in a lecture based format
- 12. Deaf studies lecture presentation plugin Collaboration between the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown and the Trinity College school for the Deaf. Simple tool was need to allow signed video content to be displayed along with course notes A simple lecture based format where each lecture contains a number of individual pages.
- 13. Questions Comments?All our projects are available for demo at: If you are interested in the source to any project, we can make that available! (GNU License) White papers also online