Engaging Students in Civic Life- CCSS 2011
The Walter and Leonore Annenberg Presidential Learning Center's presentation at the 2011 California Council of the Social Studies Conference (CCSS). This presentation examines the current state of civics education in the United States and shares a piece of curriculum developed to teach students about the roles and responsibilities of effective citizenship. For a free copy of the curriculum, email us at email@example.com.
- 1. Engaging Students in Civic Life
Participants will come away with:
An understanding of the present state of civics education
A complete unit of curriculum for the classroom.
Strategies for effective integration of civics instruction
3. State of Civics Today
State of Civics Today
4. 5. The U.S. civics assessment evaluates students knowledge, skills, and dispositions that are critical to the responsibilities of citizenship in Americas constitutional democracy.
- The Nations Report Card: Civics 2006
6. 7. 4th Grade
8. 9. 8th Grade
10. 11. 12. 13. No significant progress
14. % of Students Proficient or Above
15. 7000 Drops Outs Per Day
16. Need statistics on Dropout v. Graduate in terms of civic engagement
Corporation for National and Community Service and the National Conference on
Citizenship. Civic Life in America: Key Findings on the Civic Health of the Nation, Washington, DC. 2010, September.
17. 18. Key Findings
19. Civic engagement
is, in essence, the common thread of participation in
and building of ones
- National Conference on Citizenship, Civic Life in America