Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
Each week, read the assigned chapters, and choose 2 questions to answer in detail in your reading notebook. You will be discussing the chapters and your answers to these questions and questions that others have answered, during your book club meeting. Please note that your responses should include evidence from the text as well as your own ideas and experiences.
Week 1: ch 1 ch 3
Week 2: ch 4 ch 5
Week 3: ch 6 ch 7
Week 4: ch 8 end
1. The story is told from Peters point of view. How would it be different if it were told from Fudges point of view?
2. What does Peter say is his big Problem? Do you agree that this is a big problem? Why or why not?
3. Discuss the three main characters and choose four words that would describe each of them.
4. What do you think about Fudge? Do you have a younger brother or sister of whom he reminds you or do you know someone who has a sibling like Fudge? How are they alike and how are they different?
5. List two reasons Peter didnt like Fudge sleeping in his room. If you have a brother or sister who shares your room, what do they do that disturbs you?
6. Is there going to be a villain in this story? What is a villain? Could Fudge be a villain?
7. What do Peters parents ask him to do when Fudge wont eat? How would you handle Fudges eating problem?
8. Do you think trading Fudge in for a dog would solve all of Peters problems? Why or why not?
9. Can parents make mistakes and have bad days?
10. What was wrong with Fudges name? Why did Peter want to call him Fang? Why do you think Mrs. Hatcher didnt want to use Farley Drexel if she named him that?
11. Where did fudge get the expression, Eat it or wear it? Why do you think Fudge was so bad? If you were Fudges mother, how would you have handled the situation? How would you have prevented the troubles?
12. Do you think Fudge acted worse at the shoe store or at the restaurant? Why?
13. Why do you think Mrs. Hatcher was embarrassed by the hole in Peters sock and then acted like nothing much was happening when Fudge was yelling and screaming?
14. What were some of the tricks Peter and his parents played on Fudge to get him to behave properly? Was this fair to Fudge? Why or why not?
15. Why was Mrs. Hatcher worried about the father taking care of the children?
16. With a little brother like Fudge hogging the spotlight, Peter feels insignificant. Have you ever felt like nothing? Share a time that you felt unimportant and how you snapped out of that feeling.
17. How would you feel if someone wanted you to be in a commercial? What kind of commercial would you like to be in and why?
18. Have you ever felt that you were blamed unfairly for something a sibling had done? Did your parents apologize afterwards? How did that make you feel?
19. How would you feel if a sibling destroyed your project? What would you want your parents to do about it? Did you agree with what the Hatchers did?
20. Why do you think Peters parents treat him differently than Fudge? Do you think this is fair?
21. Why do you think that Judy Blume titled her book Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing?
22. Do you think Peter and his dad should have told Mother about all the things Fudge did while she was gone? Why or why not?
23. Compare the actions of Peter and the Yarbys, in the context of old-fashioned good manners. Are there different expectations of children and adults in terms of manners?
24. Whom would you rather be in the story, Peter or Fudge? Why?
25. What was your favorite part in the book? Why?