Probability of Simple Events Objective: Students will be able to find the probability of a simple event. Students will be able to understand the distinction.

  • Published on
    29-Dec-2015

  • View
    223

  • Download
    6

Transcript

Probabilityof SimpleEventsProbability of Simple EventsObjective:Students will be able to find the probability of a simple event.Students will be able to understand the distinction between simple events and compound events.Essential Question:(1) How do I find the probability of a simple event?(2) How can I distinguish between a simple and compound event?Probability of Simple EventsVocabulary:Outcome one possible result of a probability.Sample Space the list of possible outcomes for a probability event.Random outcomes that occur at random if each outcome is equally likely to occur.Simple Event a specific outcome or type of outcome. Complementary Events the events of one outcome happening and that outcomes not happening are complimentary; the sum of the probabilities of complementary events is 1.Real World Example:Best Buy is having an IPOD giveaway. They put all the IPOD Shuffles in a bag. Customers may choose an IPOD without looking at the color. Inside the bag are 4 orange, 5 blue, 6 green, and 5 pink IPODS. If Maria chooses one IPOD at random, what is the probability she will choose an orange IPOD? Probability of Simple EventsReal World Example:Best Buy is having an IPOD giveaway. They put all the IPOD Shuffles in a bag. Customers may choose an IPOD without looking at the color. Inside the bag are 4 orange, 5 blue, 6 green, and 5 pink IPODS. If Maria chooses one IPOD at random, what is the probability she will choose an orange IPOD?P(orange) = 4/20 = 2/10 = 1/5 or 20%Probability of Simple EventsWhat is a PROBABILITY?- Probability is the chance that some event will happen- It is the ratio of the number of ways a certain event can occur to the number of possible outcomesProbability of Simple EventsWhat is a PROBABILITY?number of favorable outcomes number of possible outcomesExamples that use Probability:(1) Dice, (2) Spinners, (3) Coins, (4) Deck of Cards, (5) Evens/Odds, (6) Alphabet, etc.Probability of Simple EventsP(event) = What is a PROBABILITY? 0% 25% 50% 75% 100% 0 or .25 0r .5 or .75 1 Impossible Not Very Equally Likely Somewhat Certain Likely LikelyProbability of Simple EventsExample 1: Roll a dice.What is the probability of rolling a 4? # favorable outcomes # possible outcomes 1 6The probability of rolling a 4 is 1 out of 6Probability of Simple EventsP(event) = P(rolling a 4) = Example 2: Roll a dice.What is the probability of rolling an even number? # favorable outcomes # possible outcomes 3 1 6 2The probability of rolling an even number is 3 out of 6 or .5 or 50%Probability of Simple EventsP(event) = P(even #) = =Example 3: Spinners.What is the probability of spinning green? # favorable outcomes # possible outcomes 1 1 4 4The probability of spinning green is 1 out of 4 or .25 or 25%Probability of Simple EventsP(event) = P(green) = =Example 4: Flip a coin.What is the probability of flipping a tail? # favorable outcomes # possible outcomes 1 1 2 2The probability of spinning green is 1 out of 2 or .5 or 50%Probability of Simple EventsP(event) = P(tail) = =Example 5: Deck of Cards.What is the probability of picking a heart? # favorable outcomes 13 1 # possible outcomes 52 4The probability of picking a heart is1 out of 4 or .25 or 25%What is the probability of picking a non heart? # favorable outcomes 39 3 # possible outcomes 52 4The probability of picking a heart is3 out of 4 or .75 or 75%Probability of Simple EventsP(heart) = = =P(nonheart) = = =Key Concepts:- Probability is the chance that some event will happen- It is the ratio of the number of ways a certain even can occur to the total number of possible outcomesProbability of Simple EventsGuided Practice: Calculate the probability of each independent event.1) P(black) = 2) P(1) = 3) P(odd) = 4) P(prime) = Probability of Simple EventsGuided Practice: Answers.1) P(black) = 4/82) P(1) = 1/83) P(odd) = 1/24) P(prime) = 1/2Probability of Simple EventsIndependent Practice: Calculate the probability of each independent event.1) P(red) = 2) P(2) = 3) P(not red) = 4) P(even) = Probability of Simple EventsIndependent Practice: Answers.1) P(red) = 1/22) P(2) = 1/43) P(not red) = 1/24) P(even) = 1/2Probability of Simple EventsReal World Example:A computer company manufactures 2,500 computers each day. An average of 100 of these computers are returned with defects. What is the probability that the computer you purchased is not defective?P(not defective) = # not defective= 2,400 = 24 total # manufactured 2,500 25Probability of Simple EventsHomework:- Workbook Practice 11-1Probability of Simple Events

Recommended

View more >